PDA

View Full Version : Ran out of gas

Barry Eller
05-25-2006, 08:06 PM
Brought the boat to the launching ramp Monday evening and the engine died when I came off plane at the ramp. Would not restart. Fuel gauge showed 1/4. Luckily I had enough momentum to drift to the dock. Went straight to the gas station and filled up before going home. Tried to restart to flush engine and it still wouldn't start. Tuesday I pulled the fuel/water filter and poured contents into a glass jar. No water and very little trash. Installed a new filter and turned engine over. Nothing. Pulled filter back off and found no fuel in filter. Removed fuel line to tank and sucked a big mouthful of gas. Pulled fuel pump and made a jumper wire to check operation of pump. It was working. Checked all electrial connections, still now power to the pump. Removed fuel pump relay, went to NAPA for a new relay,installed it, and all is well. $17.38 was my repair cost. Labor; 3 Budweiser.

Just thought I'd share a broken boat story that had a happy ending!!!

:yippie:

joel3078
05-25-2006, 08:17 PM
We just went thru a similar experience with a Mid 90's Harley Electraglide. The dang thing would not get the starter to spin all the time. Got worse and worse and finally quit. All this being on one trip with many stops of course - our annual flood run was is the name of the trip and there is literally thousands of motorcycles. Anyway, ended up being a little cube relay inside the batwing. There was 12volts going to the starter solenoid, however the little relay points/contacts were burned up enough that not enough current could pass thru to fire up the starter. Come to think of it LSUtigers had the same problem on another thread. Bad start relay so starter would not spin up. Dang little bastards. In our case, we swapped brake relay with the starter relay inside the harley batwing (they are the same) and all was good again. Same drill - relay is about 15-20 bucks. Put new relays in when we got back.

tiger lily
05-25-2006, 10:01 PM
when i ran my boat out of gas, i had to prime it by taking off the air cleaning, pour gas into carb, and get it to fire to start the prime again, just some thought if you or anyone else runs out again .

Barry Eller
05-25-2006, 10:07 PM
when i ran my boat out of gas, i had to prime it by taking off the air cleaning, pour gas into carb, and get it to fire to start the prime again, just some thought if you or anyone else runs out again .
That can be very dangerous on a boat, possible spillage,fumes,backfire,BOOM.I don't recommend doing that.

tiger lily
05-25-2006, 10:10 PM
they dont blow up that easy :shocking: :shocking: :shocking: :shocking: :fire: :fire:

Sofa King
05-25-2006, 11:08 PM
Joel, ancient chineese secret, put a rebuilt Toyota cmry starter in your geezer glide. Mo cheaper and mo betta. :biggrin:

TuxedoPk
05-25-2006, 11:51 PM
I've only run out of gas once but I found the two most important things to have on hand are a long rope and a Poodle ;)

joel3078
05-26-2006, 09:54 AM
Joel, ancient chineese secret, put a rebuilt Toyota cmry starter in your geezer glide. Mo cheaper and mo betta. :biggrin:

I had a Honda GL1500 about 6 years ago. Now there is a geezer glide. I like touring and riding for hudreds of miles in a day. Funny, nobody that owns the fast bikes want's to ride along. No fun after 100 miles when your back and ass feel like bubba has been pounding on it. Them geezer glides just keep on going. I wonder why Toyota never made a metric bike for USA market. To fufill the Japanese side, we just picked up a 1982 Kawasaki 440LTD as a beginner bike for my better half. She is having a blast on it. 60mpg is might sweet nowadays. Bike only has 6,200 miles on it and looks almost like new. These funky old bikes from the 80's are coming out of the word work like termites. I'm thread mongering now so gotta go.

Sofa King
05-27-2006, 02:32 PM
I'll ride with you buddy. My fjr is plenty fast and comfy hence the name... sport tourer.