PDA

View Full Version : removal of fuel pick up??

tiger lily
05-25-2006, 06:47 PM
so i take off the acess hole, take of the line, check the line, blew the line out out, nothing in the line, then i take out the pick up, what do i find when i take it out, there is no pickup tube on it all??? just the fitting that goes into the tank, that was it, some im guessing i might have found my problem as to why im running out of fuel, and ideas if im overlooking something or if this is it, where do i get a new one at...

hardcrab
05-25-2006, 07:38 PM
yes, a missing fuel pick up tube will severely limit your cruising range.

a found these tubes for sale at a local marine/hardware store

tiger lily
05-25-2006, 07:47 PM
local marina was no help, thats why i came here to the real pros

gcarter
05-25-2006, 07:53 PM
I found one at the local Merc/Bayliner dealer. :biggrin:

MOP
05-25-2006, 08:29 PM
Does the fitting have a barb on it? Many tank pickups had plastic pickup tubes over time soe work there way off the barb. I would call one of the tank manufacturers and have him shoot you one out, the thread is quite standard try to get aluminum when you get it cut so it is about 1" off the bottom of the tank.

Phil

tiger lily
05-25-2006, 09:54 PM
mop, there is no barp on it, however im not sure if i can mate aluminum to brass( i know i should know this working in a fabrication shop but i've never had to deal with, my dad or boss should know) could i use a piece of copper instead of aluminum??? i ran upto our local marina, they are mostly a merc dealer however its almost all pontoon boats they deal with and they straight up told me no dice on them having one.

MOP
05-25-2006, 10:02 PM
What is the tank made of??

tiger lily
05-25-2006, 10:08 PM
What is the tank made of??

the tank is aluminum, the fitting that goes into it is brass, it threads in, and is a 90 degree elbow then the line is flared and as a connection to it there. im pretty sure its all original but not 100 percent on this..

MOP
05-26-2006, 06:12 AM
The fitting where it screws in should be S/S or aluminum, call a tank manufacturer get the whole thing not just the tube. Mixing brass/aluminum is not a good thing the fittings should look like the ones in the link below.

http://www.coastline-tanks.com/tankaccessories.html

joseph m. hahnl
05-27-2006, 10:42 AM
still Haven't fixed it?
as far as the fitting out of the tank.
Does gas flow out of the fitting?
is it close to the bottom of the tank?
Did the boat run before with this setup?
if yes than don't F with it it's not your problem.

I haven't kept track of your other post>
The fuel between the tank and the fuel pump is all vacume pressure.
If the tank had a plugged breather say with water stuck in a looped hose>
The vacume would close off and or constrict the rubber fuel line.
You could even hear the tank flex .

Blow thru the breather hose and make sure it's not plugged.

joe