PDA

View Full Version : volvo 290 / pros - cons ?

hardcrab
05-25-2006, 05:39 PM
I will be replacing the transom on my '66 18' 2+3.

The hole for my volvo 290 OD is slightly HUGE. I've had a volvo OD in the past with no complaints. Since I'm at a crossroads and, before I re-establish this slightly HUGE hole, is there any overwhelming reason to consider a different drive ?
I'm working on a working mans budget and don't forsee ever entertaining 500 HP. I'm finishing this boat as a keeper and ultimately prefer reliability over cutting edge performence , although running all day in the low 60's IS a requirement.

any long term volvo abusers out there ?

Formula Jr
05-25-2006, 06:13 PM
No reason to change. Your choices are the Alpha, which spins the wrong way, or a Bravo, which seems to be overkill for your application and just as expensive.

You are in The Bay area, so service and parts are readily available for the 290.
After all the hurricans in Florida, I would think most salvage stores in maryland are full of inexpensive Volvo parts so you could stock up.

mrfixxall
05-25-2006, 07:04 PM
Pro's it will out last any alpha and most bravo 1 drives...Con's,not many selection's of props....

hardcrab
05-25-2006, 07:32 PM
some VERY good points fellas,

thats what I wanted to hear.

Tony
05-25-2006, 08:04 PM
Bulletproof. Better yet if you could find a 290T, and best if you could find a 290DP with trim!

Formula Jr
05-25-2006, 08:37 PM
He will go slower with a 290DP. Which is a bolt on. But Wow, that would be cool on The Bay. No big rotations in the air!

MOP
05-25-2006, 09:28 PM
It would be hard to find a better drive for longevity! They do give up a little speed but keep $$ in your pockets. They are the only drive that the oil comes out so clean in the fall, quite easy to work on compared to most. I hope my diesel BravoX holds up as well in the long run.

Phil

MOP
05-25-2006, 09:58 PM
I was just thinking about Formula Jr's 290 idea, having owned a 16 for 3 years they have too much bow lift. The DP gives stern lift it should work out very well and give the boat a rocket hole shot and probably handle quite a bit better. Dou's make single engine boats handle so much better. The speed lose at WOT is nothing compared to the gains as the bottom and mid range a greatly improved. I tried a Blackhawk drive on my 22 straight keel, top end was 6 mph slower then my Bravo but bottom, range and handling is something I really miss.

Phil

boatnut
05-27-2006, 10:42 AM
A comment on the suggestion to go to a Volvo dual prop. A year or so ago I saw a beautifully restored 18 classic on our local lake (Clear Lake, CA) and talked to the owner. He had installed a dual prop volvo (not sure of the exact model/year) along with the restoration. He said he was very unhappy with the dual prop on the 18 hull, never did handle or run as well as the older Volvo he had on the boat, he blamed the difference in prop lift?? I discussed this with him as I too am planning a restoration and repower in the future. He strongly advised staying with the 250 to 290 single prop Volvos. I have owned two 250's and two 270's and I support the bullet proof reputation of these well designed drives. Ed