PDA

View Full Version : Thru Floor Gas Gauge

fastcat
05-24-2006, 11:10 AM
I have a thru the floor viewable gas gauge on my boat that always reads empty. I believe the tank is original.
When the boat was in the shop last month for a tune-up (which turned into 3 weeks of fix-ups), I asked them to see if they could fix it or install a regular gas gauge in the dash. They said there was no way to fix it or install a new one. I say there's GOTTA be a way to get some kind of gauge working (without pulling the tank).
Any ideas?

penbroke
05-24-2006, 12:22 PM
You can remove/replace the sight gauge thru the window in the floor. After removing the window from the floor remove the ring around the gauge. It unscrews like a jar lid. I found using vise-grips was the most effective for gripping the ring. The glass and gaskets will likely stay in the ring. If not remove them as well. The gauge/float assembly can be removed by pulling it straight up a bit then rotating the whole works to get it up through the hole in the tank and the hole in the floor. It is a simple device and should be easy to repair. I doubt you can get parts but I can get you a killer deal on a functional used one.:wink: You will likely have to make new gaskets when you re-assemble.

Be sure to use plenty of ventilation when you do it and take precautions while working around gasoline fumes. Also don't do it with a full tank and position the boat with the bow down to reduce spillage.

Frank

fastcat
05-24-2006, 03:50 PM
Thanks for the reply. Sounds like a good Memorial Day Weekend project. After, of course, we take the boat for a long ride and run the gas down.

What exactly is the killer deal on a good used one? ;)

penbroke
05-24-2006, 10:08 PM
I would run the boat all weekend first. If you somehow break the sight gauge you might not be able to get it back together right off and miss the weekend...

The killer deal is: If it turns out you can't fix yours let me know. I'll send you my old one (if I can find it).

Frank

FlatRacer, aka BarrelBack
05-25-2006, 12:46 PM
I took mine apart as well. Same way. I cleaned off all the old black sealer and reassembled it using clear silicone (sparingly applied, but completely sealed). Now the guage is much easier to read. I obtained new O-rings at the hardware store.

If your guage always reads empty, that could mean the cork float has fallen off. If it's still in the tank, (where else could it be?) it shouldn't affect anything as it floats around on top of the gas. I dunno, maybe you can fish it out of the guage hole if you can slosh the gas around a little?
Another possiblity is that the float is still there, but the lever mechanism has rusted solid. Mine was very rusty when I pulled it out. That might be likely if your boat sat for a long time with little or no gas in the tank.

Fast Cat: I got my V-drive BarrelBack! Had it out for a test run over the Easter break. Awesome!!!
Frank will get a chance to try it soon. Hi Frank!

Eric

penbroke
05-25-2006, 01:03 PM
Eric: Come on up next weekend. (http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=44874) Bring one, hell bring 'em all...:eek: :biggrin.:

Frank

FlatRacer, aka BarrelBack
05-25-2006, 01:10 PM
Eric: Come on up next weekend. (http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=44874) Bring one, hell bring 'em all...:eek: :biggrin.:
Frank

I wish I could, brother. I'm just stupid busy. I had to scrap my plans to attend the Dustoff because of a gig. :bawling: I gotta quit some of these bands I've been playing in! I'll be up around the 4th of July. We'll have to hook up then.

Eric

fastcat
05-25-2006, 02:27 PM
Eric,
Congrats on the Barrel Back! Give me some details....and pics.
I think I finally found me hull number...possibly 181.