PDA

View Full Version : Striping a Donzi

jimmysinger
05-23-2006, 07:11 PM
Can someone please tell me the correct/best way to put the stripe on my 16. Someone has refurbished it in the past and now it is solid white. I prefer a stripe. Is this something I could do myself with some deck paint from West Marine and masking tape???

Thanks,

Jimmy

MOP
05-23-2006, 07:38 PM
You may want to consider vinyl tape, done taking your time it gives very good results. You can find just about any size you need with a little hunting around.

Phil

jimmysinger
05-23-2006, 09:04 PM
I was actually thinking about the vinyl. I just didn't want to admit it yet because I thought it might be the cheap and easy way out :-)

jimmysinger
05-24-2006, 07:55 PM
Correct, there are no stripes at all. It's solid white - little on the boring side...

I'm just trying to decide if painting it myself is do-able or a trainwreck in the works....

David Ochs
05-24-2006, 08:35 PM
Jimmy,
I love using linear polyurethane paint(Awlgrip). I used it on my boat over ten years ago, and it still looks wonderful. But, I also think Phil has a great suggestion with using vinyl. Particularly if you change your mind, it will be fairly easy to remove. You can always use the Awlgrip later if you so desire.
One of the nice things about using Awlgrip, or any linear, is that you can get very nice results with a the correct brush and roller. One thing of interest, the older classics have a narrower deck stripe than the later models.

Formula Jr
05-26-2006, 04:45 AM
You need to use fine-line tape. Get all the wax off the area with acetone then tape and scuff the area you will be painting. 3m pads work well for this.
Then roll and tip, using a roller to apply then knock down the "nap" with a fine bristle brush. Don't over work it. Just let the paint flow to a smooth surface.

If you use yellow, you don't have to be that careful. No one will see the mistakes. Black will show EVERYTHING.

jimmysinger
06-07-2006, 08:31 PM
I've got a '67 Ski Sporter that I'm about to put a stripe on. Can someone tell me how wide its supposed to be?

How about a stripe on the side? Any tips for that?

Thanks,

Jimmy

MOP
06-07-2006, 09:30 PM
It looks unique as an Albino!

HOTFOOT
06-10-2006, 07:30 AM
Just painted my '67. I used Interlux brightside polyurethane
The stripe was and is 7 inches wide.