PDA

View Full Version : Hello all - 1st post

EddieB
05-23-2006, 01:27 PM
So, having lived in Central Florida for about 20 years, I have decided it's time to seriously consider purchasing a boat. Due to my affinity for V8 power, turning wrenches, and thoroughly enjoying my vechicles (my first car was a 67 RS/SS Camaro), my (short) search to find a boat suitable for me has led me to this informative forum. I have done some serious reading on the classic Donzis and seem to have narrowed my choices down to 16 or 18 feet. My use will be almost exclusively on local lakes, during which I will be accompanied by my wife, and sometimes one other couple. Please provide me with any input/reccomendations you may have regarding what length I should go with. I do realize from browsing the forum that this choice could be entirely subjective, but I would also appreciate your thoughts on issues such as ride quality, storage, seating configuration (buckets or wraparound), problems to look out for, etc.

thanks in advance... :biggrin:

chappy
05-23-2006, 04:23 PM
Welcome to the board:wavey:
Based on where you live, I would try to get some board members to take you for a ride, then you can make a decision. I run an 18 classic with a sbc 350. All I can say is these boats are a ton of fun. Best of luck.
Rich:biggrin.:

gold-n-rod
05-23-2006, 04:29 PM
Welcome, Eddie. I think you will find that your question has been debated/discussed here many times and a couple of days' reading and good use of the search function will be very enlightening.

As the owner of a 16, I can assure you that yourself, your wife and another couple will NOT find boating in a 16 to be very pleasurable. It's really a 2 adult boat. The rear seat, while able to accommodate 2 passengers, suffers greatly for lack of legroom. 2 adults back there will not be happy for long. It's similar to taking 4 in my Trans Am. The back seat just isn't made for that purpose. The wrap around seat in the 16 (which I don't have) doesn't make it any easier.

If you are serious about boating for 4, the 18 is the minimum size and the 22 even better.

Again, welcome and good luck with your search for a boat.

Sofa King
05-23-2006, 05:22 PM
Welcome Eddie and a big TEXAS Howdy! TEXAS is so great we even have our own President. Being from TEXAS I say think big and get the 22.

Aronowrip

Cuda
05-23-2006, 05:44 PM
I think a Minx is just what the doctor ordered. :)

Formula Jr
05-23-2006, 06:51 PM
The wrap around seating of a Sport-Ski 16 will soon become unpleasent to your passengers. Its an unnatural position to be in as a passenger,.. except for dogs, which like it.

Nice to stretch out on though, on a lazy day in the sun.

If you like Chevy SB V8s then your list got shorter to the 18.
The 16 is a very specialized boat. It makes a great tender and is easy to tow and store in a standard garage.

The 16 is a jumper and a roller. A wild ride. The 18 is much more stable.

joseph m. hahnl
05-23-2006, 07:06 PM
Stiring up the BEE"SSSS: The 18 is hands down better than a sixteen:shocking: .
It has the best of both worlds. Good for small lakes yet can take on a good chop with some comfort.

joe

MOP
05-23-2006, 07:40 PM
If you decide to look into a very clean fresh water boat take a look at this one http://www.donzi.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12 Probably one of the nicest available.

Phil

steven s
05-23-2006, 07:46 PM
The wrap around seating of a Sport-Ski 16 will soon become unpleasent to your passengers. Its an unnatural position to be in as a passenger,.. except for dogs, which like it.
Nice to stretch out on though, on a lazy day in the sun.
If you like Chevy SB V8s then your list got shorter to the 18.
The 16 is a very specialized boat. It makes a great tender and is easy to tow and store in a standard garage.
The 16 is a jumper and a roller. A wild ride. The 18 is much more stable.
Yea the 16 is a wild ride:bonk: :moped: .But I can run without getting pounded in a 1/2 chop.But the only draw back is it's not that roomy.I had 2 friends and it was ok.But we are just teens and not that big.But in your case go for the 18.

sweet 16 1966
05-23-2006, 08:56 PM
4 adults, 18' or a 22'.

EddieB
05-23-2006, 10:06 PM
Thanks to all for the warm welcome and valuable input. I'll keep you posted as the search progresses.

Cuda
05-23-2006, 10:17 PM
If you'd like to see how a 22 rides, we aren't far from you. If I can get the damn fuel line on the Minx, we could let you see how it rides too.