PDA

View Full Version : Fueling ?

Sofa King
05-23-2006, 12:06 AM
When taking on fuel at a marina do u open the hatch to the engine compartment, run the blowers or both. I notice my batteries are not in a housing, kinda worries me.

Barry Eller
05-23-2006, 08:05 AM
When taking on fuel at a marina do u open the hatch to the engine compartment, run the blowers or both. I notice my batteries are not in a housing, kinda worries me.
Don't use a lighted candle to see what you are doing.:angryfire

Sofa King
05-23-2006, 08:55 AM
lol @ Mattboy. I know my batteries should be in a spark proof housing which the previous owner (powerboater) ignored. I KNOW to open the engine hatch and run the blowers for 3-5 minutes after fueling before starting.
I'm just wanna know if anyone does it differently and if there are any nifty new battery enclosures.

Sofa King
05-23-2006, 11:36 AM
That's what I was looking for. Good answer Matt and of course let's not forget the olfactory. Probably the most important. I'm still curious how many peeps use battery boxes. I bet it's under 50%

Aronowrip

FOSTER
05-23-2006, 01:15 PM
I do all the above, good habit to get into. I think I handle a little more gas than most people. so i'm always thinking about safety, and trying not to blow myself up.:shocking:

joel3078
05-23-2006, 01:21 PM
That's what I was looking for. Good answer Matt and of course let's not forget the olfactory. Probably the most important. I'm still curious how many peeps use battery boxes. I bet it's under 50%
Aronowrip

I have 6 battery boxes in my boat.
1 - main starting battery
2 - deep cycle battery - lights, stereo, TV, etc.
3 - first aid goodies - beer bottles & cans can be a hazard
4 - spare prop, wrench, nut, cotter pins, etc.
5 - spare fluids & oils
6 - spare parts - plugs, belts, misc stuff

I'm a trailer trash kind of guy so I don't fill up on the water unless I really really have to.

joel3078
05-23-2006, 02:33 PM
The plastic ones with the fabric hold down strap (like I have) are simply a vented design. The two battery fill caps are also vented. This lets the gases from the battery dissipate as those rotton egg sulpheric gases from charging can be explosive along with the gasoline fumes. Is there such a thing as sealed explosion proof battery boxes? Anyway, be advised that fumes are more explosive than the liquids. Liquids flash then burn, fumes go boom. I used to setup big industrial incinerators in a prior life back in the 80's. Fire is your friend or it's a mean and nasty animal!

Sofa King
05-23-2006, 05:16 PM
A rebreathing battery box. Seriously though I think a battery in a box is MUCH less likely to trigger an explosion by way of spark than a battery that is sitting in the engine with no box around it.

John W
05-23-2006, 09:19 PM
I personally leave my blower on when fueling and will suck out any fumes that may occur before they accumulate. I still pop the hatch and smell for any fumes as well before I light it off. Still alive after all these years. Also, i am anal retentive on Maintence and preventative maintence.

JW (annapolis)

DonziJon
05-24-2006, 07:02 PM
Here is the SIMPLE procedure for refueling. Simple Simple. Whenever a person gets too complicated..things get unnecessarily out of hand and you lose track of the BASICS..Again. . Almost nothing is as complicated as some people want to make it.

Pull up to the fuel dock. All hatches CLOSED.
RE-fuel:
RE-Fueling is done. Hose back on the dock.
NOW: OPEN the engineroom hatch and stick your FACE in the engine room and SNIFF. Smell gas?? NO??? Your good to go. OH Wait: Open the cabin door if you have one and sniff in there.

We used to call it "SNIFF And GO".

Blowers? Another source for a spark. Your NOSE knows better.

"Do NOT Hesitate: Ventilate". P.Ray Nagen.

Disclaimer: Results may vary. John :banghead: