PDA

View Full Version : 1976 Classic 18 - Decisions/Decisions ?????

bgiles
05-21-2006, 01:42 PM
Hi there, I came across a 1976 Classic 18 which to my surprise is still available after about a month. I went and had an initial look at it since the previous owner had restored it to a certain degree. I didn't see anything which really stood out as defective, there was the odd ding here and there and some spots on the bottom that had been touched up. The motor is a
5.7 L V8 with a Volvo 280 outdrive which both from a visual aspect looked ok.
My question is about things such as the stringer's etc which are not readily visible. Are they specific things or areas that I should l look at upon another closer inspection or should I get a "proffessional" to survey it. My best route is probably the professional but thought I'd ask anyhow.

Thanks in Advance
Bruce

MOP
05-21-2006, 03:00 PM
It is worth getting a survey and an engine oil analysis, stringers and transom could be just fine but it pays to check with a moisture meter.

Phil

Ed Donnelly
05-21-2006, 03:33 PM
Bruce I used a guy in Toronto for my apprasel.NOTHING gets by him.
He found a hairline crack 1" long, on the BOTTOM of my 1" flex wastegate line.
PM me if you want his name..............Ed

nguber57
05-21-2006, 06:15 PM
make sure you check the gas tank.

boatnut
05-21-2006, 07:44 PM
make sure you check the gas tank.

How do you check the gas tank?? The message I have received loud and clear from this forum is that on the older classics you need to replace the gas tank. You may replace one with significant corrosion prior to a potential deadly explosion --- good move. Or, you may remove one with little or no corrosion --- wasted effort. However, I have never heard about any method of knowing the condition of the tank prior to pulling the deck and digging the tank out. Ed