PDA

View Full Version : Dino or Syn?

Sofa King
05-20-2006, 02:36 PM
Any synthetic fans out there? I have a merc 454 mag just wondering what y'all recommend?

Aronowrip

Pismo
05-20-2006, 02:41 PM
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107808

Everything (and more) than you will ever want to know about marine lubrication.

Mobil 1 V-Twin 20W-50.

MOP
05-20-2006, 04:37 PM
There is an oil that beats the Harley oil by a good margin check the link below then check the other link to the tests that were done by an independant lab, if you want the best consider http://www.spectro-oils.com/ Oil comparison page http://www.spectro-oils.com/oilcomparison1.htm

Sofa King
05-20-2006, 06:28 PM
Harley is funny. For years they said u couldn't run synthetic for bearing skate(to slippery) LOL. Once h/d comes out with it in a black and orange quart it is OK to use. I like moble one 20-50 in my motor and redline Shockproof heavy in tranny MTL in primary. Some of my friends like Royal Purple out of Porter TEXAS and others like Amsoil. Just use a good ten micron filter and u are good to go. The main benefit I like with syn over dino it will lower my engine temp 15 degrees.

gcarter
05-20-2006, 08:22 PM
The main benefit I like with syn over dino it will lower my engine temp 15 degrees.
Ken at Spectro will have fun with this.

Carl C
05-20-2006, 08:44 PM
I like synthetics too and use all synthetic lubes in my "82 Mustang hot rod. Your's is a good question. Now my mercruiser manual says to use Quicksilver 25W-40 Marine Oil and that is what I use but it also says in bold type "The use of synthetic oils are specifically not recommended". Now I suppose when Mercury comes out with a synthetic that it will be OK to use it.:umbrella:

Sofa King
05-21-2006, 12:40 PM
The only thing I have a problem with in that list is FORD :-(

Ed Donnelly
05-21-2006, 03:45 PM
Mattyboy; Did you forget windshields????............Ed

CHACHI
05-22-2006, 05:53 AM
Ken at Spectro will have fun with this.George you know me way to well, now if I can just get motivated one more time.............................Ken

MOP
05-22-2006, 06:06 AM
:sombrero: Up early Eh!

CHACHI
05-22-2006, 07:01 AM
Harley is funny. For years they said u couldn't run synthetic for bearing skate(to slippery) LOL. Once h/d comes out with it in a black and orange quart it is OK to use. I like moble one 20-50 in my motor and redline Shockproof heavy in tranny MTL in primary. Some of my friends like Royal Purple out of Porter TEXAS and others like Amsoil. Just use a good ten micron filter and u are good to go. The main benefit I like with syn over dino it will lower my engine temp 15 degrees.Aronowrip, all engines when run produce heat. Most of this heat goes out he exhaust, the rest gets transfered to the piston, cylinder bore, valves, etc. Sooner or later this heat get transfered to the oil to be carried to a cooler and /or finally the pan where it get transfered once again to air or water. If your engine is tuned properly, ie timing correct, fuel mixture correct, cooling system working correctly, your engine will run will produce heat and run at a given combustion temp. If you sump temp drops, the oil is not picking up the combustion heat, so the vales and all componets mentioned run hotter. If the oil was really cooling your engine your sump temps would br higher not lower. Ken

CHACHI
05-22-2006, 07:01 AM
:sombrero: Up early Eh!Yeah. Ken

gcarter
05-22-2006, 07:26 AM
Yeah Ken, the oil is not only a lubricant, but also a coolant.
Also the percentage of heat generated by combustion compared to friction is huge. If you were to almost totally eliminate friction, it would still have little effect on engine temp.

CHACHI
05-22-2006, 07:51 AM
Yeah Ken, the oil is not only a lubricant, but also a coolant.
Also the percentage of heat generated by combustion compared to friction is huge. If you were to almost totally eliminate friction, it would still have little effect on engine temp.Well said. Ken

Sofa King
05-22-2006, 11:08 AM
Ken, I was referring to my POS air cooled h/d. Oil temp is 15 degrees cooler wit synthetic so I guess synthetic doesn't cool as good? Is it possible that syn dissapates heat quicker? U better have syn on a performance air cooled otherwise temps can easily exceed 300 degress sitting in traffic. I prefer dual oil coolers and a nice denso iridium up a couple of heat ranges.

CHACHI
05-22-2006, 11:41 AM
Ken, I was referring to my POS air cooled h/d. Oil temp is 15 degrees cooler wit synthetic so I guess synthetic doesn't cool as good? Is it possible that syn dissapates heat quicker? U better have syn on a performance air cooled otherwise temps can easily exceed 300 degress sitting in traffic. I prefer dual oil coolers and a nice denso iridium up a couple of heat ranges.How hot do you run? A properly blended petroleum can handle 300 degrees. Not for 5,000 miles, but for short periods. More important how cold does your oil run with the 2 coolers?

Sofa King
05-22-2006, 12:27 PM
Since we don't have no stinkin water oil is very important to us POS h/d riders. Oil discussions have been the base of very heated discussions for years. I am running one cooler now and it's not enough. I don't know my temp, I have my bike for sale now am not gonna invest in a gauge cause I don't ride it kinda like my new Donzi. If my bike doesn't sell I'll buy a gauge and let u know. I'll probably buy a gauge since I haven't had one call on it.
All I know u can't get NEAR the oil tank and it will cook your legs like a microwave dinner in the summer. This aint no parade bike LOL. I'll post a pic one of these days.