PDA

View Full Version : Learning the Hardway

903L
05-20-2006, 12:48 PM
A few months ago i bought my first boat, a '92 22 classic. It was one of those "Love at first sight I don't care I just want it" things. To date she has not even been in the water. I have been repairing numerous things that were done in a very Mickey Mouse fashion. The boat looked great but ended up having alot of things missing. One thing I can't figure out that maybe one of you guys can answer for me. Why is there no oil dip stick on the OMC 454? Or is there one and that is just another thing that is missing off of my boat.
Thanks

Sofa King
05-20-2006, 01:00 PM
Hey 903 u remind me of myself. I haven't put my boat in the water. When I go home I'm gonna check for my dipstick. The boat doesn't really need to be in the water cause it looks fast sitting on the trailer. I did however gharge my batteries yesterday.

Trailer queen
Aronowrip

Sofa King
05-20-2006, 01:12 PM
903, I'm thinking about souping mines up to 85. Just wonder if your thinking the same.

903L
05-20-2006, 03:00 PM
Hey Aronowrip thanks for the reply. The only way my 22 classic will do 85 is on the trailer behind my Surburban. Wow! you have a battery that'll take a charge. Mine smokes when I try to charge it. I wish I could get some smoke to come out of my exhaust!

Sofa King
05-20-2006, 04:06 PM
Water is over rated! Don't sweat it. The important thing is u can tell peeps u have a boat even point to it...Yuppers there she blows. I still don't have the keys to mines as the previous owner never sent them :-(

Silver Bullet
05-20-2006, 05:54 PM
Hats off to you men you have a great attitude!! Let me assure you, once she fires up and you idle out of the marina it will all be worth it.

Keep us informed on how the progress is going. I am the last one to be answering questions on this site (something about having to have that particular boat cause I know boats, having never owned my own before. I think you understand) but to answer your question yes I would vote for a dipstick.:confused:

Bullet

Sofa King
05-20-2006, 06:37 PM
Hey there silver bullet. I see u live in MO city. I moved from Sugar Land to Austin three years ago. Have u been to wings & things lately on 6 or Penisons? Heard they put in a bakers st pub in sugar land. My buddy lives in lake olympia in swan island next to destinys child beeyonce. MO city in the house!

Aronowrip

LSUTIGERS74
05-20-2006, 07:06 PM
Join the club, I had my 90 Black widow for three months now and she hasn't seen the water, only a few thunderstorms here and there. Today was supposed to be the day, I finally got my rebuilt engine to fire up, but now I don't have any power on the starboard side and therefore cant turn her over.

903L
05-20-2006, 08:31 PM
Does anyone out there know if the '92 OMC 454 came with a dip stick or any other means of checking the oil?

Avialanche
05-20-2006, 10:33 PM
Does anyone out there know if the '92 OMC 454 came with a dip stick or any other means of checking the oil?

I wonder if previous owner purposly took the dipstick so you couldn't check the condition of oil during purchase inspection.

Sofa King
05-20-2006, 11:05 PM
My previous owner took the keys so I can't start it.

mrfixxall
05-20-2006, 11:58 PM
A few months ago i bought my first boat, a '92 22 classic. It was one of those "Love at first sight I don't care I just want it" things. To date she has not even been in the water. I have been repairing numerous things that were done in a very Mickey Mouse fashion. The boat looked great but ended up having alot of things missing. One thing I can't figure out that maybe one of you guys can answer for me. Why is there no oil dip stick on the OMC 454? Or is there one and that is just another thing that is missing off of my boat.
Thanks

903l, look in front of the starter... theirs a spot on the side of the oilpan ware the oil dipstick goes
(its in the sump area ) unless someone put one of them their 14 qt oil pan on the engine then you have to make your own and screw a compression fitting in the pan on top of tne sump and use a piece of 3/8 tubing...Theirs also a copany that make a adjustable plastic tube,,its junk and the tube melts dont get that one your better off making one out of tubing if theirs a 10- 14 qt oilpan on the engine..

BUIZILLA
05-21-2006, 06:55 AM
I'm sure it was there at some point... should be right front, between the fuel filter bracket, and cylinder head.

JH

903L
05-22-2006, 10:33 AM
Thanks Guys, I've looked all over. I have used everything. Eyes,magnifying glasses, smoke, mirrors, smoke and mirrors, all to no avail. Even the mechs in the shop where she is now are stumped. Her oil pan appears to be stock. Did drain her oil though and it was kinda tan and milky. Probably water. Anyone got a match?

CHACHI
05-22-2006, 10:51 AM
Thanks Guys, I've looked all over. I have used everything. Eyes,magnifying glasses, smoke, mirrors, smoke and mirrors, all to no avail. Even the mechs in the shop where she is now are stumped. Her oil pan appears to be stock. Did drain her oil though and it was kinda tan and milky. Probably water. Anyone got a match?903L, if you think you have water in the oil, a real quick test is to heat a flat pan on the stove, get it good and hot, then drop some of the oil in question on the hot surface, not alot, just a drop or two. If water is present the oil drops will skate and pop all over the pan.(water boiling out). If no water is present the oil just thins out.
If when you drain the oil it is tan and milky, then there is no need for the above test. Ken

joel3078
05-22-2006, 11:13 AM

This is as close as I can get ya - 1993 version. The loop on the dipstick handle is orange. The upper end dipstick tube is threaded so you can screw on your choice of an oil removal system via vacuum. I use the Tempo hand pump one - big vertical white plastic tube - holds about 5 quarts.
http://shop.easternmarine.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog.prodInfo&productID=6432&categoryID=278