PDA

View Full Version : 2000 22zx Engine Hatch won't open HELP!!

Daryl
05-20-2006, 10:21 AM
We have been having problems with the engine hatch motor working intermittantly. We took it in to get it fixed and the idiots closed it. Now itis stuck in the down position, does any one know how to get in the engine compartment after this occurs?

DonziJon
05-20-2006, 11:04 AM
We have been having problems with the engine hatch motor working intermittantly. We took it in to get it fixed and the idiots closed it. Now itis stuck in the down position, does any one know how to get in the engine compartment after this occurs?
This happened to someone else within the last month or two and was discussed at length. There was a solution that I "Think" had to do with pulling the screws out on the hinge pins and gaining access that way.. but I'm not sure. Do a "Keyword" search. John

Try THIS: http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=40808&highlight=%22Engine+Hatch%22

I just re-read yor post. I misunderstood. I ran a search using "Engine Hatch" and there WAS a thread more recent than the one noted above that more closely addresses your problem.

Brian Hamilton
05-20-2006, 01:00 PM
Daryl, Is the ram stuck down? Every season I remove my batteries and I can open the hatch by hand. Just push up on the center head rest and put a two by four between the bilge and the hatch. that works for me every time. oh, by the way get help it's a bit heavy. Brian

jdp_509
05-20-2006, 04:15 PM
Check the fuse under the steering wheel. Mine does the same thing and the fuse is getting a bad connection. Sometimes I can just wiggle the fuse and sometimes I take it out and turn it over.:yes:

22zxla
05-20-2006, 07:22 PM
Every time my battery goes dead , i just lift it up manually then put a 18 in stick to keep it open. Its a little heavy but one man can do it easily.

Daryl
05-20-2006, 11:38 PM
I think the Ram is stuck down. We tried to lift it manually, with no luck. Could it be possible that I have a worm and a screw instead of hydryrolic lift?

Daryl
05-20-2006, 11:57 PM
We did trade fuses with no luck. The only solution we can think of is to cut the hinge pin. Has anyone done this? Also, can anybody tell me if there are two solonoids in that system one for up and one for down? Thanks

gold-n-rod
05-21-2006, 06:47 AM
Are you saying there's absolutely no passageways into the engine compartment from either the bilge or the gunwhales, via the side panels/storage compartments?

On my big boat, I installed the lift in a fashion that I can reach a quick connect pin from the bilge by just snaking my arm through the floor hatch under the seat. On my buddy's Checkmate, he can reach through from under the seat. Hell, I'd even try removing your side panels to see if there's any passageway.

The lift should have a pin at the top or bottom to separate it from the mount.

Mr X
05-21-2006, 06:58 AM
There is no pin on the newer style rams.

gold-n-rod
05-21-2006, 07:16 AM
There is no pin on the newer style rams.

That's a very, very, very, very bad thing. Whatever were the engineers thinking? :banghead:

Daryl
05-21-2006, 09:34 PM
Okay! You are so right what an engineering mistake with this one! We got open today. :yippie: This is what we did....
This is a 2000 22' Donzi ZX. On the starboad side, under the rear seat in the storage department is the electrical disconnect switch. Removing the panel that the switch is mounted on gives access between the rear seat and the engine compartment. In the center lower portion of the boat, coming through from the engine compartment are two 1/4 " bolts holding the lower portion of the lift mechanism. We removed the nuts, pushed the bolts back and this allowed us to raise the compartment hatch about 4". Then we took off the top bolt from the lift mechanism. This boat was equiped with the an "Acculift" hatch lift mechanism which was a burnt out motor. Does anyone know of a better system maybe a hydraulic one????

gold-n-rod
05-21-2006, 09:51 PM
Okay! You are so right what an engineering mistake with this one! We got open today. :yippie: This is what we did....
This is a 2000 22' Donzi ZX. On the starboad side, under the rear seat in the storage department is the electrical disconnect switch. Removing the panel that the switch is mounted on gives access between the rear seat and the engine compartment. In the center lower portion of the boat, coming through from the engine compartment are two 1/4 " bolts holding the lower portion of the lift mechanism. We removed the nuts, pushed the bolts back and this allowed us to raise the compartment hatch about 4". Then we took off the top bolt from the lift mechanism. This boat was equiped with the an "Acculift" hatch lift mechanism which was a burnt out motor. Does anyone know of a better system maybe a hydraulic one????

Here's what I put on my big boat. It's still electric, but it's sturdy.......... and it has pins at both mounting brackets.

http://www.lencomarine.com/hatchliftsfast,p.html#

:wavey:

jonnyrottn
05-22-2006, 07:59 AM
My 2001 zx hatch lift failed last season - luckily it stuck halfway open. There's a thread about how Donzi has you cut a hole in the compartment under the rear seat to get access to the lift mechanism - not too pretty.
You can order parts to fix your acculift from this number 313.382.5121- you end up talking right to the guys on the factory floor, Acculift is unfortunately not retail customer friendly, try finding their website or a contact number! I saved the $300 replacement cost my dealer quoted for the whole actuator - the motor and rubber drive bushing were $70 delivered COD only. Hope this helps.
-Jon

DJ13
05-22-2006, 11:20 AM
I bought my '99 from a guy in Miami who just took out the motor/ram and put a couple pneumatic rams on the hatch. Just takes a couple fingers to lift, no worries with corrosion or the motor getting stuck in the closed position. Not as cool as a motorized hatch but it's trouble free!! My .05 cents. :)

22zxla
05-22-2006, 07:58 PM
Glad to see you got it open! Now you guys have me worried about my hatch. Atleast you solved a way to get it open when this occures. God job!

22zxla
05-22-2006, 08:07 PM
since it looks like people with 22zx are looking at this thread, ive got a question? Is your bow light in front of your top cleat? And when you anchore and tie to it as the boat gets moved around it tears up your light? Was wondering if any one put a pop up bow light there and did it work?

billy22zx
05-22-2006, 08:39 PM
When i took delivery of my 99 22zx...the battery was dead,therefore,the hatch would not open. we were able to lift the hatch manually enough to remove the pin that holds the ram to the inside of the hatch. Not real happy with the design on the hatch-lift. Wayyyy to slow,and not enough clearance to suit me

billy22zx
05-22-2006, 08:42 PM
good question on the bow light...my 22 has the bow cleat in the same position. I`ll have to watch out for that. I like the idea of the pop-up light...just be sure it`s turned off in the down position!:bonk:

DJ13
05-23-2006, 02:29 PM
The light in front of the cleat has never interfered with my anchoring, rafting or tying up. I don't think it'll end up being a problem for you either.

22zxla
05-23-2006, 06:51 PM
DJ cant believe you dont have trouble with the bow line when anchored? Guess its not to windy in your part of town. You see when i anchore against the wind the line moves around from side to side of rhe light , im already on my second light. saw that accorn had a pop up light that would not interfere at all. i remember you were going to try to boost some speed , any progress?

DJ13
05-24-2006, 06:40 PM
I don't know, we don't have hurricanes up in WA, but all I'm saying is, I've never had a problem and both Puget Sound and Lake Chelan can have some windy conditions from time to time. The anchor always seems to pull tight and tug the rope to one side or the other. If you've actually had a light come off, then I stand corrected on you not having any problem with it. You might try using a second anchor (shore or sand anchor) when you can. That would keep her in line.
I've pretty much decided that my motor will be more reliable without too many upgrades. The two things I'm still considering improving are the intake and exhaust manifolds, but beyond that I'm prizing the relatively trouble free (and I do mean relatively) situation I have enjoyed with my ZX.

22zxla
05-24-2006, 06:51 PM
by the way dj what kind of speed are you getting any way? what prop you got?

DJ13
05-25-2006, 11:07 AM
I've got a 24p Bravo prop. In the right conditions, (low fuel, good chop, just me on board) GPS says around 63 or so. She's not a speed demon but holds her own. Fast enough for me for now!