PDA

View Full Version : Today Could be the BIG DAY!!

LSUTIGERS74
05-19-2006, 10:16 AM
After a two month culmination of pulling my 460 out of the Black Widow, having her machined out and a new complete rebuild kit, I finally got her rebuilt and put back into the boat. (it took me three nights for the unexperienced builder that I am). Hopefully she will crank up and I can take her out to the river tomorrow.

Getting to the point, the only thing left for me to do is to set the timing, this I have absolutely NO idea on how to do. Right now my #1 piston is set to TDC. I need to know the correct procedure for setting the timing? I do not have an advance on my Mallory distributor. I think the distributor is set to #1 also and I know it will turn a little bit when I set it in the hole.

Any help on how to use the timing gun also would be appreciative?

joel3078
05-19-2006, 12:42 PM
Dang good explanation!

My widow is an OMC 454 chevy 1993. I also do not have mechanical advance weights in my distributor either. Take the cap off and it's just the rotor. OMC used a magical black box for engine diagnostics and spark control. From what I have been told, 1990 version didn't even have a distributor and it did not work well. They got it right in 1993 as mine is flawless. I know it ain't popular as Mercury stuff, but what the hell. It works and you don't have to do any tune up stuff cept change plugs or wires if one goes bad.

In the attatched picture the black finned box to the right of the air cleaner is the magical black box I am talking about. The bottom part of the box houses a standard round tube ignition coil. The top part of the box is the engine computer goodies. Spark advance is computer controlled and it has a pre-igniton knock sensor to retard timing if need be. Still gotta burn premium gas in this sucker tho. The manual saise if you use 87 octane the warranty is voided. I always pump in 93.

LSUTIGERS74
05-19-2006, 01:37 PM
My doesn't have the fancy black box, my box did not make it with the boat when I purchased. My coil is just attached to the rack that the black box attached to.

I checked the TDC on #1 and I am on the compression stroke so this is good. Should I mark the timing numbers with soap stone in order to get a better look for 0 when it is flashing?

I talked with a guy during lunch at the engine shop and his suggestions were to set the timing to 8 degrees on the dial and flash the timing until the pointer lines up with 0 (as you turn the distributor). Then increase advance the timing gun to 8 degrees, and tighten the distributor down. Next run the engine up to about 3000 RPM and check the degrees to make sure you max out at around 36 degrees.

Thanks, for the advice, also Joel did you sell your widow yet?

joel3078
05-19-2006, 02:09 PM
LSU - instead of soapstone, I used whiteout. You know, that ol white paint for fixing typing errors on a typewriter. That little brush fits the slot on the timing wheel dampner just right. Also, the paint stays on better. Soapstone comes off if it gets wet and is not as bright as the whiteout paint.

Did not sell my widow yet. It's overpriced as a complete package and has too much new cosmetic stuff. New trailer, custom covers, and upholstery. This was $10K for all this stuff. On the flip side, I keep having people ask me where did I buy that new boat and what the hell is it. The bottom line is too many people are referencing KBB and NADA books for used boat prices. Well we all know that those books are not updated on old stuff and reflect prices of boats in average condition for the year. So the question is, what is the average condtion of a 16 year old Black Widow? The answer is, it's typically a used up hi mileage, torn, faded, chalky piece of chit. The price books do cover their ass kinda by saying a boat in very good condition can be worth significantly more. The beauty of my situation is I don't need to sell my boat and I can enjoy it when I want to. When the right buyer comes along the boat will sell.

need for speed
05-19-2006, 02:44 PM
If any of you OMC guys with the 454 need one of those Black boxes 1993 .. I HAVE ONE. . But dont have the 454 anymore so if needed let me know.... I had A back up for my boat.

joel3078
05-19-2006, 03:20 PM
If any of you OMC guys with the 454 need one of those Black boxes 1993 .. I HAVE ONE. . But dont have the 454 anymore so if needed let me know.... I had A back up for my boat.

Shoot me a price
PM me or just broadcast it here . Would be good to have one as a spare.

22zxla
05-19-2006, 09:10 PM
Tiger ...firer That Mother Up!!!!::

LSUTIGERS74
05-20-2006, 01:39 PM
Unfortunately Today was not the Day!!!

I have the engine in the boat and everything was connected up, but I have absolutely no power on the starboard engine panel. I have two wires left to connect that I don't have a clue what they go to they are coming out of the main wiring harness and look like ground wires, but even when connected there is still no power showing on the voltage gauge. I can crank the port engine with no problem. I do not have a couple of sensors connected, would that make the engine not recieve power???

Anyone have any solutions? None of the electronics are working on board (lights, stereo, etc) could there be a fuse blown somewhere that I don't know about that could make the cockpit panel not show voltage? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, in advance, hopefully.

LSUTIGERS74
05-21-2006, 11:11 AM
Today doesn't seem to be the day either, although the engine did turn over this time. My wiring issue seemed to be solved b/c I had but the breaker plug in wrong. Now the engine was turning over but not firing off, then I noticed the distributor plug to the coil was unplugged. Then I thought she should fire off, but now she just clicks.

Could I have fried the starter?? I know you can do it, but I wasn't turning it over for more than 10 seconds without firing off.

Secondly could the engine have locked up again b/c it did seem like it was slowly bogging down when turning over, although that could have just been the dying battery?

Thirdly could have assembled the engine in the wrong rotation? Starboard engine, standard rotation (CCW)

Does a starter turn down?