PDA

View Full Version : Please HELP the new guy - Fuel Problem

lakesnake
05-19-2006, 09:42 AM
What’s up fellow donzi lovers! This is my first post. I have been reading this forum since last February when I first saw my baby. I am the proud owner of a 1996 22’ Donzi Classic with a 454 mag (385 HP) and bravo 1 outdrive. The boat has 80 original hours and is in excellent condition. I will tell you all the story behind her and how I acquired her later (good story too)....but first I need help. Memorial weekend is almost upon us and I need my baby running great.

I have taken her out six times this year and she has performed flawlessly. Last weekend I took her out. I filled the tank up complete before putting her in the water. All day she ran fine, but after the fuel level got under ½ a tank I started experiencing fuel problems. The problem was very similar to the problems previously described on this forum…..great info by the way. So, I went through the typical fuel problem solving steps and believe I have found the culprit. I found a reddish film (almost like tomato sauce) on the water separator filter. There also appears to be a little water in the tank.

Does anybody know what this tomato sauce like substance is or could be and the best way to eliminate it????

I plan on taking her out this Saturday. I will put an additive in the fuel to eliminate the little amount of water, and I am bringing several extra filters with me. I am not going to add any additional fuel. I am going to run her until I experience the problem again, then change the filter, and repeat as necessary. I hope there is not much of this substance in the tank because my goal is to catch all of the substance in the filters until the problem is eliminated.

Any input, solutions, questions, etc would be appreciated...Please help!

Oh yeah, I want to talk props too, but lets take this one step at a time.

BUIZILLA
05-19-2006, 10:04 AM
okay, since you asked........

1) get a RACOR filter that replaces the stock Merc spin-on, that Merc thing is garbage, and only keeps the big rocks out.... RACOR is 10 micron, but you have to ask for that specifically, you NEED the 10 micron... The RACOR you need will have a metal bowl on the bottom that you can drain water and sediment/contaminants, do NOT get a clear plastic bowl.

2)water never completely disappears, don't let anybody tell you it does, with any additive...

JH

MOP
05-19-2006, 10:08 AM
Since there is nothing in the Donzi fuel system to rust I am betting the fuel canister was starting rust giving you the red muck, run it for a few hours and pull the new one I bet it will be fine.

Phil

lakesnake
05-19-2006, 10:24 AM
Thanks for the info gentlemen....i will pick up the RACOR filter as you suggested, and i hope you are right MOP....the lake is jumping now and the last thing i want to be doing is jacking with the fuel system.
Anyway, i will know tomorrow.

PROPS: Any recommendation on the best prop for this boat....it currently has a bravo 1 on it, but everything i have been reading on this forum suggest that i replace it.

Ranman
05-19-2006, 10:32 AM
I was plagued with fuel problems for quite a while one summer. The RACOR spin on merc replacement (with white bowl and drain plug) solved all of my issues. You can buy the initial set-up at Boat US for about $60 (it's worth it). Replacement filters (no bowl) are cheaper moving forward. Good luck

penbroke
05-19-2006, 11:02 AM
okay, since you asked........
1) get a RACOR filter that replaces the stock Merc spin-on,..... JH

Does the Racor unit replace just the spin on filter element (looks like an oil filter) or does it replace the entire assembly?

Frank

MR MAGOO
05-19-2006, 11:06 AM
Jim, Do you have the part # handy for the Racor unit?

Thanks,

Kurt

BUIZILLA
05-19-2006, 01:18 PM
I don't have the number handy, BUT it uses the stock Merc filter head, and you buy a bowl and element then just replacement elements in the future.

Poodle gets them for me.

Chili 18
05-19-2006, 01:23 PM
http://www.starmarinedepot.com/Racor+B32020MAM+Spin-On+Fuel+Filter.html

$42.95 I have water issues too. Is this the one?

BUIZILLA
05-19-2006, 02:19 PM
yuppers, that's it.... I have them on both my Donzi's and a twin unit on my Scarab.

JH

DonziJon
05-19-2006, 07:10 PM
What’s up fellow donzi lovers! This is my first post. I have been reading this forum since last February when I first saw my baby. I am the proud owner of a 1996 22’ Donzi Classic with a 454 mag (385 HP) and bravo 1 outdrive. The boat has 80 original hours and is in excellent condition. I will tell you all the story behind her and how I acquired her later (good story too)....but first I need help. Memorial weekend is almost upon us and I need my baby running great.
I have taken her out six times this year and she has performed flawlessly. Last weekend I took her out. I filled the tank up complete before putting her in the water. All day she ran fine, but after the fuel level got under ½ a tank I started experiencing fuel problems. The problem was very similar to the problems previously described on this forum…..great info by the way. So, I went through the typical fuel problem solving steps and believe I have found the culprit. I found a reddish film (almost like tomato sauce) on the water separator filter. There also appears to be a little water in the tank.
Does anybody know what this tomato sauce like substance is or could be and the best way to eliminate it????
I plan on taking her out this Saturday. I will put an additive in the fuel to eliminate the little amount of water, and I am bringing several extra filters with me. I am not going to add any additional fuel. I am going to run her until I experience the problem again, then change the filter, and repeat as necessary. I hope there is not much of this substance in the tank because my goal is to catch all of the substance in the filters until the problem is eliminated.
Any input, solutions, questions, etc would be appreciated...Please help!
Oh yeah, I want to talk props too, but lets take this one step at a time.

YO LAKESNAKE: If you go out again with LESS THAN a half tank of gas you will have a probnlem you didn't expect. You WILL run out of gas and will be getting some paddling excercise. What with all this great technical adviice I hope you won't ignore the BASICS. Don't run a Donzi gas tank below 3/4 tank. John

DonziDave
05-19-2006, 08:17 PM
If the filters continue to clog up, try this test from one of my earlier posts about a similar problem.
Dave

"I chased the exact same problem last year. Drove me nuts....!!!!! Turned out to be the lining in my 20 year old Aeroquip fuel line was slouffing off and clogging the fuel filter. I dumped the gas out of my filter into a glass bowl and saw little red flakes. I poured the gas onto a screen and let the flakes dry. When I picked them up they were pieces of rubber. Replaced the line and no problems since."

A simple test before you start tearing into mechanicals.

Sofa King
05-19-2006, 08:35 PM
Hey there Lakesnake. I'm also in Austin. Looking forward to her maiden voyage this Thursday or Friday. If your gonna be in one of our puddles lemme know and we can go out terrorizing. Damn it! I thought I hade the only 22 classic on Travis. Might have to bring out the ol Barrett .50 and deep six yours :-)

Aronowrip

Sofa King
05-19-2006, 08:48 PM
R u kidding me DonziJohn? One can only expect a quarter tank of usable fuel out of 52 gals? WTF? If that is true having known that and rotten stringers i would've passed on the classic. There must be something wrong with your p/u in your tank. No?

Aronowrip

Chili 18
05-19-2006, 09:52 PM
R u kidding me DonziJohn? One can only expect a quarter tank of usable fuel out of 52 gals? WTF? If that is true having known that and rotten stringers i would've passed on the classic. There must be something wrong with your p/u in your tank. No?
Aronowrip

Search the forum for an incredible bank of knowledge on this and many other questions you might ask ...

I had a 1/4 indicated one fine day. Buzzing around and buzing around. Shut down for some lounging time. Lounged. Started engine, glanced at guage, EEEEEEEEEEE ba hahahahhahahhhh

Has to do with the tapering v bottom shape of the tank. Among other posibilities.:spongebob

DonziJon
05-20-2006, 10:45 AM
Aronowrip

I NEVER EVER kid around.. Well almost never. I speak from experience. Until it happens to you, you will probably be skeptical. Paddles are almost useless, even with a person paddling on each side of the boat. After sunset is the best time to Run Out of gas. Everybody else is back ashore winding down from a great day on the water.. So NO TOW is in sight.

Like some others in this thread have alluded to: The gas tank is shaped like a Martini Glass, but the gas guage thinks it's a rectanglular box and only sees vertical inches of scale. A Full Martini Glass is much more fun than a similarly shaped gas tank that "SAYs" it's half full. :bonk: John

lakesnake
05-22-2006, 08:00 AM
Since there is nothing in the Donzi fuel system to rust I am betting the fuel canister was starting rust giving you the red muck, run it for a few hours and pull the new one I bet it will be fine.
Phil

Thank god, you were correct....I ran her until i had about 1/8 (maybe less) of a tank, and checked the fuel filter. There was just gas in there. I guess i got a little paranoid reading all these fuel system nightmares on this forum.

This is my first time to own a boat like this and I am completely in love with her. So, i get a little worried when something is not working correctly.

Thanks MOP.

lakesnake
05-22-2006, 08:49 AM
Hey there Lakesnake. I'm also in Austin. Looking forward to her maiden voyage this Thursday or Friday. If your gonna be in one of our puddles lemme know and we can go out terrorizing. Damn it! I thought I hade the only 22 classic on Travis. Might have to bring out the ol Barrett .50 and deep six yours :-)
Aronowrip

Hahahha.....have no fear; you are still the only 22 classic on lake Travis. Well, not for long. I actually live in the Woodlands, but I would much rather be living in ATX and terrorizing Lake Travis. I was going to head west on memorial weekend, but lake Travis is so low. I know how crazy it gets on holiday weekends, and I don’t have the patience to deal with madness at the (public) boat ramps especially when there are only a hand full of ramps that are accessible at the current lake level.

I know how you feel. I am the only 22 classic on Lake Conroe. I grew up on Lake Conroe and have never seen any other donzi classics. As you can guess, I am loving the attention. Oh yeah, don’t let catch you ass on my lake with out permission (j/k)….this is Texas, everybody is packing heat.

Patrick

P.S. My buddy has never being to devil’s cove. So, I will be heading to Lake Travis on the 4th or Labor Day weekend. We should hook up then.

Sofa King
05-22-2006, 09:28 AM
Papas on the Lake...Holla! Gimme a holla with a good weeks notice and if it's not on a weekend I can join u.