PDA

View Full Version : What's this with "Fountain Mercury"???

gold-n-rod
05-17-2006, 07:19 PM
Just read an ad for a Fountain fishboat and they kept referring to it as a Fountain Mercury. Does Merc own Fountain now? Sounds weird.

Carl C
05-17-2006, 08:03 PM
They have formed a partnership. There was an article about it a while back in one of the magazines.:lifeprese

ChromeGorilla
05-17-2006, 09:09 PM
Basically Brunswick Corp. has Reggie by the nuts. Reggie is just a face these days........:yes:

Woodsy
05-18-2006, 07:49 AM
Brunswick Conglomerate aka Mercruiser/Mercury owns the controlling interest in Fountain Powerboats and has ole Reggie as thier little puppet!

Whats really funny is that the Speed Record set by Fountain did not use Mercury Racing Engines...

Woodsy

gold-n-rod
05-18-2006, 08:20 AM
wonder how Brunswick feels about Reggie putting them Arneson surface drives on their big sport cruisers??

IIRC, one couldn't get a Merc powered Donzi during the OMC years, either.

I suppose though, that if Merc made a surface drive, he'd never get away with it. Since they don't, guess it's OK.

BUIZILLA
05-18-2006, 08:38 AM
Basically Brunswick Corp. has Reggie by the nuts. Reggie is just a face these days........:yes:In street language, it's called DEBTOR IN POSSESSION.

ChromeGorilla
05-18-2006, 03:17 PM
In street language, it's called DEBTOR IN POSSESSION.
Thanks for the assist Jimbo....:biggrin:

Formula Jr
05-18-2006, 03:20 PM
Ever wondered why Volvo never suied Merc. for Patent Infringment?

http://www.rbbi.com/folders/pat/isd.htm

:cool!:

ChromeGorilla
05-18-2006, 04:08 PM
Thank you for the link.... I enjoyed that.

tiger lily
05-19-2006, 12:36 PM
that was a cool link, i learned alot from it, now didnt reggie patend the step hull design? could have just been a rumor, i dont rember, but i do rember hearing his patend on the stepped hulls ran out in the mid-late 90's which was when every other boat builder seemed to jump all over it and putting them in there boats.

gcarter
05-19-2006, 01:52 PM
that was a cool link, i learned alot from it, now didnt reggie patend the step hull design? could have just been a rumor, i dont rember, but i do rember hearing his patend on the stepped hulls ran out in the mid-late 90's which was when every other boat builder seemed to jump all over it and putting them in there boats.
He may have had a patent on a particular element of a stepped hull, but the first patent of a step hull power boat was a little after 1910.

Formula Jr
05-19-2006, 04:44 PM
Interesting also that the Volvo Patent ran out in '85, and then Merc developed the Bravo with out the dog clutch of the Alpha.

There are stepped hulls and then there are ventilated step hulls.

I'm usually wrong, and Brownie will most likely correct me - as he usually does, but I think Schoell filed a patent on the ventilated step used in the step Donzis.

http://www.schoellmarine.com/innovations.htm