PDA

View Full Version : Classic 16 Stereo Install

chopperman69
05-16-2006, 11:59 AM
I'm having a hard time deciding whether or not to cut the dash on my Classic 16 and install a stereo. It's the new Clarion CMD4. The dash is not exactly flat there...
What have you guys seen done? Don't the new ones have stereos?
Thanks

mrfixxall
05-16-2006, 12:19 PM
I built a center council to install my radio because i didnt want to cut a hole in my dash..check this link out...

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=42279

gold-n-rod
05-16-2006, 12:48 PM
I'm having a hard time deciding whether or not to cut the dash on my Classic 16 and install a stereo. It's the new Clarion CMD4. The dash is not exactly flat there...
What have you guys seen done? Don't the new ones have stereos?
Thanks

Yes, the new ones have stereos, but they are under the dash in the port side. You can see a picture of this location here:

http://atlanticcoastdonzi.com/gallery/members_bverd_otherboats_fulltilt16/DSC01228

Hope that helps.

John W
05-16-2006, 11:33 PM
When I had my 16, I did not want to screw up the dash with a big hole, plus the curvature of the dash seemed like more work than i was willing to tackle. So I put the stereo in the kick panel on the portside about 8 inches off the deck and ran a wired remote to the dash to control volume etc. Worked out well. The side panels are already cut out for the speakers all you have to do is carefully cut out the Corinthian vinyal. IMy 22 came with the stereo and 4 speakers.
JW

Kikwear
05-17-2006, 09:55 AM
My Captain's Call is my stereo. Besides, when I know I'm going to stop, float or anchor, I bring along a boombox. Saves money and cutting.

gold-n-rod
05-17-2006, 10:49 AM
My Captain's Call is my stereo. Besides, when I know I'm going to stop, float or anchor, I bring along a boombox. Saves money and cutting.

It is impossible to hear a stereo while underway in a 16 (esp. w/o a windshield) unless it's one of those mega-watt systems that the kids and thugs all seem to have in their cars these days.

I do ocassionally listen to mine while floating, but it's hard to get to down there under the dash. The boombox seems like a good idea, but I don't know where in the hell one would keep/carry/secure one. At least in the dash, the stereo doesn't take up valuable cockpit space.

Kikwear
05-17-2006, 11:59 AM
Seeing that my 16 doesn't like waves, I boat normally on inland lakes and rivers where there is little to no chop. That being said, the cooler and boombox don't really need securing, they just sit on the floor behind the front seats or between my legs if I have passengers. When I do stop, I just put it on the deck on the other side of the rubrail. It has non-skid feet and has yet to go overboard even with waves rocking the boat.

In no way do I proclaim my idea is more worthy than an installed stereo but it saves money, installation time and makes more sense to me at least.