PDA

View Full Version : How to bleed hynautis steering?

steven s
05-15-2006, 05:21 PM
I have Hynautic steering k 11 http://www.fishing-catalog.com/hynautics/k11-12.pdf model.And I need to know how to bleed it does anybody know how .:cistineb:

gcarter
05-15-2006, 06:30 PM
This is just the cylinder. You also have a helm (the thing the wheel is attached to).
Morse makes a filling kit (reccomended), it consists of an adapter that screws into the fill port on the helm and a bottle of fluid. After attaching the adapter, you move the wheel port to stbd until the air is gone (you'll be able to tell).
I did it the hard way, filling the helm and generally making a mess untill the air was exhausted.

MOP
05-15-2006, 07:44 PM
If you bought the helm kit new it should have included in the kit a sort of clear plastic stand pipe and a funnel, the stand pipe screws into the helm fill and you fill it and the funnel so you can see when the level drops. You turn the wheel continuosly in one direction until no more fluid is consumed then you turn the wheel in the other direction. You will force the air past the check valves and get all the air out.

Phil

steven s
05-15-2006, 08:41 PM
One problem my resivuaar(oops) is not in my helm it is in the middle of my hull bolted onto a stringer.

Morgan's Cloud
05-16-2006, 09:30 AM
Steve ,
Although this is something I'd really like to say I'll be doing in the very near future, It's more accurate to say it's been a long time since I did mine .
I believe that the first thing you need to do is re-pressurise your reservalve tank (about 28 psi I think) Do you have your bicycle pump handy ?
Like george and Phil said a lot of turns to port the stbd. I think you have the same head unit as me ... NO fill screw on it ?
If I recall , you need to have the valve at the steering ram backed out a bit and it bleeds the air out at the very end while you get all the air out of the helm unit. It will make a bit of a mess at the transom so have plenty of rags handy.
A nice system though ... I like how you can walk away from the helm without the wheel moving ..... I really do that all the time :D
Steve

MOP
05-16-2006, 06:17 PM
Me thinks Steve walks away from his wheel often:spongebob

MOP
05-16-2006, 06:27 PM
Ah you have the same helm I have in my stash, it is a little more involved but not much, fill the tank to the top of the second sight glass pump it up to 25-30psi and start turning like mentioned above. Don't let the fluid level drop much more then 1/2 way down the lower sight glass usually one filling per side being turned, once it seems pretty solid in both directions then bleed the cylinder. To keep things a little cleaner you can take a piece of tin and bend a V into it and suspend it under the ram with tape at a slight angle with a catch can at one end to catch the mess.

Phil

Morgan's Cloud
05-17-2006, 08:56 AM
Me thinks Steve walks away from his wheel often:spongebob
:biggrin.: Mostly to retrieve another 'boat soda' :D
*Ah you have the same helm I have in my stash, it is a little more involved but not much,*
Once I recognised that he had a reservalve mounted elsewhere I realised it was the 'slightly older' system ... I'm not 100% certain , but I think Hynautic came out with the 'no reservalve' system a little later .
Steve