PDA

View Full Version : It floated, it started, it ran, now some questions.

SideshowRob
05-14-2006, 10:04 AM
Well Friday afternoon, after some wiring work on the X. :bonk: I won't even get into the bass ackwards way the alternator was wired, but thanks to having a best friend who is a small block loving mechanic, that was fixed up, along with timing, carb adjustment, and replaced vacuum line. We fired up the boat in the driveway, let it run for about 15 min. All was well :hyper:
We took it to the lake, fired it up and went for a cruise :rlol: Just a short 10 mile run, it was chilly and getting close to dark. SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!!!
Now for the questions.
The boat was only hitting about 46mph. Now I know the carb needs to be cleaned, and I'm going to change the plugs, and also check my throttle linkage. RPM's were waaay too low... about 3300-4000. I'm not worried about getting all that straight. I have other issues.
When we take off, and get up to about 20-25 the boat tilts hard to the starboard side, I adjust trim tab, and it's ok till I go faster, then it wants to go hard to the port side (I hope you are laughing in agreement with this, but I find it very unsettling :eek: )
Here's another question. Volvo 280 tilt. Should it sound like it's crushing gravel :rolleyes: Advice appreciated, also when moving in the water it is veeeery slow to tilt up.
So here are my thoughts, please correct me when needed. Stock aluminum prop isn't doing me any favours, put on SS Right Now. Slow tilt affecting stance of boat (overly tilted outdrive transferring engine torque and making it very noticeable)
Also, one of my cast iron exhaust headers (if I can call them that) leaks. I believe there is a small crack on the underside, it's hard to check when the boat is running,as my head does not appreciate being upsidedown in a small space next to a very hot chunk of metal spitting equally hot water :embarasse . I'm wondering if I can patch this with JB Weld? I would like new, but budget does not allow at this time.
So with all of this said, any thoughts and words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

DonziJon
05-14-2006, 02:41 PM
Hi Rob: I can't say much about most of the questions except the "Trim" problem. My first ride in a Donzi (It was dealer owned) and was an 18 and I had the same problem with Tab..Trim. The boat got SO Squirley at what was probably 50 MPH, I just pulled the power off and stopped the boat. Climb back on the aft deck to see WHERE the friggin tabs were positioned. Then reset them to full up and start again. The rocker buttons on the dash were not "intuitive" for me.

I didn't buy the boat but bought a Minx a year later. When I got my own boat, I installed "Digital Trim Indicators" on the dash panel. They were made by Bennett and were a retrofit on the bennett tabs. I wouldn't be without them. Now.. I know exactly where the Tabs are set all the time. Bennett called them "Trimdicators" and they have an LCD Readout in Degrees. I have never seen another Donzi with them however. They may be considered "Sissy" by the purists. :cool!: One other thing I did at the same time is to INVERT the trim rocker button panel 180 degrees. No rewiring was necessary. Just take it out and rotate it 180 and put it back in. Now it's intuitive...like the control surfaces on an airplane. Instead of "Bow Down".."Bow Up", It's TABS Down..etc. John

Lenny
05-14-2006, 09:14 PM
I will try to hit a couple here.

Here's another question. Volvo 280 tilt. Should it sound like it's crushing gravel :rolleyes: NO, YOU HAVE A PROBLEM. Advice appreciated, also when moving in the water it is veeeery slow to tilt up. MORE BAD NEWS, NOTHING THAT $600 CAN'T FIX
So here are my thoughts, please correct me when needed. Stock aluminum prop isn't doing me any favours, put on SS Right Now. YES YES YES, that is probably MOST of your problem, right there, mine did the EXACT same thing. Also, raise your drive to the third hole, you will LOVE it there.Slow tilt affecting stance of boat (overly tilted outdrive transferring engine torque and making it very noticeable) You do not have TRIM do you? Never use the tilt motor as "TRIM". It will say bye bye in no time.Also, one of my cast iron exhaust headers (if I can call them that) leaks. I believe there is a small crack on the underside, it's hard to check when the boat is running,as my head does not appreciate being upsidedown in a small space next to a very hot chunk of metal spitting equally hot water :embarasse . I'm wondering if I can patch this with JB Weld? I would like new, but budget does not allow at this time. It can be welded easily enough so long as it is the outer side of the manifold.
So with all of this said, any thoughts and words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

I would also look at the actuation of the tabs when it is on the trailer. Make sure they zero up and travel fine down. I would seriously blame MOST of your problem on the drive angle and the prop. And if you have a 280T (trim version) post a pic or two of the BACK of your boat. If you do not have the trim option, then you SHOULD NOT be playing with the tilt EVER while underway.

Here is what a trim 280 transom assembly WOULD look like.
http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=18710&d=1140651185

SideshowRob
05-15-2006, 09:18 AM
Thanks for those answers Lenny. I greatly appreciate it (Except for the the $600 comment :bawling: ) Kidding...I figured out quick, all was not well.
And no my outdrive has no "trim". I suppose I'm used to newer boats, that have trim/tilt, and figured this would be similar. I have a new question then; Lots of folks on here talk about rarely using their tabs, I can't imagine getting my boat to perform without using them, and on that note, when driving should I put the outdrive down as far as it will go? And leave it there? (Also, raise your drive to the third hole, you will LOVE it there)I will definately do this!
Well, I had no doubts that there would be a learning curve with this boat, and considering what we paid for it, I'm still impressed that it moves at all, so with some time, effort and as always...$$$ We will get it to the level it needs to be at.
I'm just happy to be able to come here and ask all my questions. It makes things much easier, so even if I need a lecture or an online kick in the A$$, I appreciate all the info I have gotten and all the info I'm sure to ask for in the future. :beer:

Lenny
05-15-2006, 02:18 PM
Rob, I have no tabs and can't see ever needing them. When I say "third hole", I mean AWAY from the transom. As in the drive is tilted up somewhat.

It lifts the nose nicely, especially with Ultra prop, and it is really hard to get into any trouble if you think a bit. (surfing I mean)

I have NO bow steering or torque situations in this configuration. None.

Other than the torque on the steering wheel and the "Armstrong" scenario it creates, it is a joy to play in and I run in anything.

Change out that prop for one, and first order of things to do, then find the other 2000 rpms you are missing. Or look at the tach more closely and put a light on it to where your real RPM's are at. After looking at a couple of your engine pics from a while back, ignition could CERTAINLY be a major stumbling block as well as that carb. Things looked pretty worn and corroded.

Third hole is where the white plastic nut is located in, in this picture. NOT the metal pin location I am demonstrating here in this picture. After running in the third hole, I would NEVER go back. I just wish there was a doable forth hole :D

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=40822&highlight=trim+pin

EricG
05-15-2006, 02:51 PM
Rob, I have no tabs and can't see ever needing them. When I say "third hole", I mean AWAY from the transom. As in the drive is tilted up somewhat.
It lifts the nose nicely, especially with Ultra prop, and it is really hard to get into any trouble if you think a bit. (surfing I mean)
I have NO bow steering or torque situations in this configuration. None.
Other than the torque on the steering wheel and the "Armstrong" scenario it creates, it is a joy to play in and I run in anything.

I second Len's opinion, the running attitude with an ultra and the drive in the third hole is perfect. Although, my TOP priority right now is getting Tabs on my boat (I'm ordering them today - actually), because with the 24LH ultra, my boat porpoises uncontrollably at anything below 40, and with gas prices they way they are...I think I'll be cruising a bit slower this season.

Good luck with the X!

EG

SideshowRob
05-15-2006, 09:21 PM
Thanks again Lenny. I will definately be moving the pin. As for the prop... the Volvo SS is going on for the next trip. Guess I just thought, first run in the boat, superstition and such, and you all know rocks can see Stainless much easier.
Now as for the tilt issue. Is there any maintenance I can do on it? I haven't dealt with Volvos before, so they are new to me. I actually don't like to ask for help, generally I just dive in and figure things out as I go, but when there are so many members with valueable info, it can save time.
And yes Lenny the engine is an actual disgrace. It starts and runs well, but it looks like someone tuned it up with Home Depot gift certificates. If it doesn't rain tomorrow I will take a few pics of the engine, as there is one water line I know is not in the stock location, and it looks baaad. I could use some advice on a correct location.
Thanks again Lenny, and everyone for all of your assistance and advice. :biggrin.:

Lenny
05-16-2006, 02:41 AM
Eric, ... :rolleyes: FORGET the tabs, just run at 2800 like I do, or get into the 35 + 's RPM's.

Ya can't have it both ways... Stick with the "FUN" side.