PDA

View Full Version : dumb 496 question

need for speed
05-12-2006, 06:34 PM
Ok here it is one dumb question but... i have no books on this motor as of yet and from looking it over the Alternator does n;t look to have a ajustemnt like most ...

the belt is squeling some .. its looks to have a little more play then it should but what do i know about this thing... maybe its just squeling some cuz its only run for 10 mins since new. :confused:

alll i know is i want to go boating on sat or sun......

MOP
05-12-2006, 06:47 PM
Charlie does it have a serpentine or V belt? If it is a grove belt there should be an adjustment, my belts squealed until the paint wore off the grove. Serpentines don't squeal they do chirp a bit like my almost new one on the sub. Serpentines have a spring loaded tensioner IE no adjustment.
Phil

need for speed
05-12-2006, 06:54 PM
Ok.. .. :) its a serpentine belt,, my guess its all that new paint on those pulleys.. might just get better on its own.

yeller
05-13-2006, 05:45 PM
Give it some time. It may heal itself. If it doesn't stop after a few hours use, it probably never will and you'll have to replace it. On rare occassions the belt surface will tend to harden or glaze due to the heat caused by the slippage. When that happens you have to toss it.

Just make sure you run the exhaust thru hull, that way you won't hear it. :wink: :D

ChromeGorilla
05-13-2006, 05:46 PM
Don't laugh but are you sure it's the belt? I thought my belt had a "slight" high pitch whine/squeel as did both of my buddies with 496HO's. Never did go away. Turns out it's not the belt..... it is the sound made by air going through the filter and into the intake......

RedDog
05-13-2006, 06:46 PM
My 502 with a serpentine belt is adjustable (not spring loaded) - there is a "idler pulley" on the port side that you adjust by moving up or down to vary the tension.

need for speed
05-13-2006, 06:51 PM
maybe Chrome is right ,. who knows... find out tom on the water here i go!!:)