PDA

View Full Version : Question about fibergass resin.

Carl C
05-12-2006, 09:42 AM
Boater's World sells fiberglass resin for between $70 and $95 a gallon. ("MAS" and "West System" brands) Home Depot sells "Bondo" brand resin for $32 a gallon. What's the diff.??? I've found Boater's World prices to usually be competitive.:confused:

gcarter
05-12-2006, 09:55 AM
They are competitive to other boating outlets.
I don't think they are competitive to other retailers.

gcarter
05-12-2006, 10:19 AM
Minicraft of Florida sells general purpose resin for $31.00 /gallon.

BERTRAM BOY
05-12-2006, 10:36 AM
West system is an epoxy resin. I beleive MAS is as well. Most "general purpose" resins are polyester resins........
There is a HUGE difference between Epoxy and polyester resins.
There is a lot of good info on the West Systems website.
http://www.westsystem.com/

Carl C
05-12-2006, 10:50 AM
West system is an epoxy resin. I beleive MAS is as well. Most "general purpose" resins are polyester resins........
There is a HUGE difference between Epoxy and polyester resins.
There is a lot of good info on the West Systems website.
http://www.westsystem.com/ Yes, I think you are right. So the "cheap" stuff should be OK for stuff like glassing in floors or cosmetic above waterline repairs but you should go for the epoxy for structural repairs or below waterline work?

BERTRAM BOY
05-12-2006, 11:32 AM
Yes, I think you are right. So the "cheap" stuff should be OK for stuff like glassing in floors or cosmetic above waterline repairs but you should go for the epoxy for structural repairs or below waterline work?
Sort of. Epoxy isn't as resistant to UV light as is polyester, (but that's a whole other can of worms).
When, I use polyester resin, I don't use the "cheap" stuff. That isn't to say that it's expensive, it's just better than the Home Depot brand.
Check out this website for 'glass supplies. Their prices are very resonable. Both Rootsy and I have been buying our supplies through him, and he is very helpful.
If your not sure about the application, call them and ask for Joe, he will steer you in the right dirrection.
http://www.mertons.com/

gcarter
05-12-2006, 11:43 AM
There are major differences, like Cliff says, between epoxy and any ester resin. For instance, you can apply epoxy over a ester resin, but you can't apply ester resin over epoxy. Epoxy never completely hardens and cures without heating ( a whole other subject) , but it is much better at not absorbing water.
If you want to know more about epoxy resins, go to www.systemthree.com .
They have a wonderful little book you can download (PDF) that will answer about any question you can think to ask.

MOP
05-12-2006, 12:02 PM
Many Epoxy formulas are not good for under water use I know this from tech school, I do not know which are or are not. Very recently I watched a factory glass tech do a keel boss repair on a racing sail boat, the main structural work was done in Epoxy followed by a couple of layers of regular resin. I asked about it he said the Epoxy he was using would not hold up under water but was extremely strong and needed in such a high stress area but had to be protected. I brought up the fact that blister prep is done with Epoxies, he said they were a totally different formula. I told him about the glass, honey comb and aluminum bonding tech school I went to in the late 50's he said man have things changed. He was one of the few I have spoken to that knew the Epoxies base formula was made from cow urine, He was telling me the more recent stuff. Don't ask I can't remember what I had for lunch!!!

DonziJon
05-12-2006, 12:59 PM
And there's Polyester resin used for "Finish" coats, ..and Polyester resin used for the glass "Laminating" portion of the job, which will take all year to cure if used as the "Finish" coat where it is exposed to air. The West Marine catalog "Splains" it all. They have West System Epoxy stuff as well. If you offer to PAY for the West Marine catalog, they might give it to you for free. It's a great Reference to have around.

My educated guess would be, if the boat was built using Polyester resin, and I'm sure it was, then stick with Polyester resin. John :cool!:

mrfixxall
05-12-2006, 01:21 PM
Boater's World sells fiberglass resin for between $70 and $95 a gallon. ("MAS" and "West System" brands) Home Depot sells "Bondo" brand resin for $32 a gallon. What's the diff.??? I've found Boater's World prices to usually be competitive.:confused:

Carl check this webb site out,,it hav some good info...

http://www.lbifiberglass.com/

steven s
05-12-2006, 03:48 PM
Glue products highest quality resin is $37.They have been around for 30 years.I live right next door to the past owner .They are located in west palm,fl .But they have a poor managment .

gcarter
05-12-2006, 07:42 PM
23 bucks a gallon for Orthophalic LAMINATING RESIN, finishign resin is the same price.. this is not cheap crap..
That's a great price Jamie.
If Minicraft wasn't almost next door to me I'd give them a shot.

Carl C
05-13-2006, 05:54 PM
:eek!: :eek!: Eek! There's a lot more to this than I ever thought. They could fill a textbook with this stuff. I appreciate the replies and the time spent posting the links. I checked out some of it but frankly it's more than I need to know for the little glass work I do! I'll probably just keep buying the cheap stuff. George, what did you use to fill the hook on the Minx?

turbo2256
05-13-2006, 06:18 PM
There is a boat builders web site havent got it up yet on the new computer. There is a lot of experance in there. Rootsy I purchased some suppllies at Eastpoint. Pricing there was not bad. Its been a few years though. I wanted three different cloths, structural filler materal.

turbo2256
05-13-2006, 08:14 PM
Found it http://www.boatdesign.net/

gcarter
05-13-2006, 08:53 PM
:eek!: :eek!: Eek! There's a lot more to this than I ever thought. They could fill a textbook with this stuff. I appreciate the replies and the time spent posting the links. I checked out some of it but frankly it's more than I need to know for the little glass work I do! I'll probably just keep buying the cheap stuff. George, what did you use to fill the hook on the Minx?
I used a polyester putty;
https://www.minicraft.com/retail/putties.htm
either the "white" or the "amber". They are identical, except the "white" has a white pigment.
I filled the putty with chopped fibers about 1 1/2" long, and milled fibers
https://www.minicraft.com/retail/fillersnfibers.htm
For really thick filling, I used a lot of the chopped fibers. It's pretty challenging to work with, but you get a lot of build up. You have to more or less massage it in place, not exactly spread it.
For thinner build up, I used the milled fiber, about 1/32". This spreads just like putty.

rustnrot
05-13-2006, 09:36 PM
We use epoxy from www.uscomposites.com in south Florida. In 5 gal quantites it is about $30 per gallon. It is Epon brand laminating epoxy that, when they buy in 55 gallon drums is less than $20 per gallon. They repackage it and ship in gallon jugs. Works exceptional for new layups and repairs to fiberglass boats and cold molding. Mike Yobe of Tavares, FL and the guys at Granville Boat Works use it for all their stuff too and are building a 30 footer with it now.

Lenny
05-13-2006, 10:10 PM
I buy from ASHLAND. Isopthalic, at $800 per 45 gallon drum. Top notch stuff.

Polyester would be cheaper, don't use it tho.

Lloyds certified.