PDA

View Full Version : Turbo prop came - now which thrust washer do I use?

blackhawk
05-11-2006, 04:43 PM
My Turbo prop came today but I don't know which thrust washer to use? There is no "indention" for a washer to lock into like my Mirage props. I have a thrust washer for a rubber hubbed mirage and a solid. I am thinking the smaller solid hub washer would work the best? :confused:

If I uploaded these in the right order the Turbo is on the left, Mirage with rubber hub in the middle and the solid hub mirage on the right.

blackhawk
05-11-2006, 04:47 PM
Here's the two thrust washers I have. The rubber hubbed washer on the left and the soilid on the right.

gold-n-rod
05-11-2006, 05:08 PM
Here's the one I used. Overtons says it's for all Merc sterndrives.
http://www.overtons.com/modperl/overtons/detail/pdetail2.cgi?r=detail_view&item_num=24220

blackhawk
05-11-2006, 05:34 PM
Here's the one I used. Overtons says it's for all Merc sterndrives.
http://www.overtons.com/modperl/overtons/detail/pdetail2.cgi?r=detail_view&item_num=24220

That's just like the one on the left in the above pic. You used that on a Turbo prop?

I don't like the fact that there is no "indention" on the prop hub to lock the thrust washer in place.

Cuda
05-11-2006, 05:41 PM
I had three different thrust washers before I moved. I lost two in transit somehow. Of course, one of them was the one that fit the Turbo. The prop would touch the casing. I went to a marina, and they couldn't tell me which one fit, so I bought the only one they had. It didn't fit. I bought another one off ebay, and it fit. It's quite a bit larger than the one for the M+.

blackhawk
05-11-2006, 06:37 PM
The thrust washer is not the issue as long as the one you have doesnt allow the prop to touch the housing You need a Merc 12-31211a 3 washer to go under the lock tab washer 14-816629Q which is held down by the prop nut....

Thanks Scott. I put the prop on using the solid hub thrust washer and it has the right spacing and I don't think there's any touching. I'm going back out to inspect more closely.

I assume the 12-31211a3 washer you are talking about is the pic on the left? I use that on the Merc props but the Turbo has it built in(right pic).

I just don't like the idea that there is no recessed indention for the thrust washer on the Turbo prop. That "locking in" seems like it would add a lot of stability which is what I thought the whole point of the washer was? :confused:

BigGrizzly
05-11-2006, 06:57 PM
Turbo uses two different washers one is the stock merc for some props and there is a small diameter thick one. My lightning and my 27 turbo 1 use the small thick one. the TXP uses the stock Merc one. They are NOT interchangable. Call Turbo for the correct one, The thick one has a small diameter lip on it about an 1/8->3/16 inch that fits in the small recess in the back of the hub

blackhawk
05-11-2006, 07:02 PM
Turbo uses two different washers one is the stock merc for some props and there is a small diameter thick one. My lightning and my 27 turbo 1 use the small thick one. the TXP uses the stock Merc one. They are NOT interchangable. Call Turbo for the correct one, The thick one has a small diameter lip on it about an 1/8->3/16 inch that fits in the small recess in the back of the hub

Thanks I'll give Turbo a call tomorrow.

blackhawk
05-12-2006, 07:14 AM
Well I just got off the phone with Turbo and they said I need to use the Mercruiser thrust washer, part #13171 which is now part #12-835467Q01 which is what I have. I asked her about the Turbo prop not having a recess for the washer to drop down into like my Mirage and she replied "It will be fine". :confused:

blackhawk
05-12-2006, 11:41 AM
JA, anything works faster than my brain :) :)
BH, Just run it already would ya??
Or, bring it to AOTH, I have every spacer and thrust washer known to Merc and mankind in my spares box...

As soon as the rain stops and we crack 50* I'll be testing! :D

RickSE
05-12-2006, 12:21 PM
I'm glad this came up. I just realized that I probably don't have the correct parts to run the Hydro I borrowed from Poodle. Looks like at a minimum I need the lock washer you show in your picture Blackhawk. Is that a Merc. or Turbo piece? I've yet to pull the boat out so I'm also not sure about the thrust washer.

blackhawk
05-12-2006, 03:29 PM
I'm glad this came up. I just realized that I probably don't have the correct parts to run the Hydro I borrowed from Poodle. Looks like at a minimum I need the lock washer you show in your picture Blackhawk. Is that a Merc. or Turbo piece? I've yet to pull the boat out so I'm also not sure about the thrust washer.

Merc parts. I have nothing from Turbo. Here is a link (http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show_Pictures3.asp?dnbr=%2017721&ivar=images/CRUISER/17721/15.png&inbr=952&bnbr=90&bdesc=GEAR+HOUSING+%28BRAVO+I%29) to a breakdown showing the thrust washer, washer to lock the tabs, tab washer and prop nut.