PDA

View Full Version : Donzi sweet 16 wants thru hull exhaust for 4.3

sjpajek@rochester.rr.com
05-10-2006, 06:25 PM
Hello,
Any ideas on where to buy or who can build headers for my 1990 4.3 sweet 16?
I would like to add captains choice transom pipes, no luck on the internet so far.

sjpajek@rochester.rr.com

smokediver
05-10-2006, 06:58 PM
I wouldn't do it .... it doesn't sound too good ... unless you are into tractors ... get a set of aluminium risers/manifolds from glm or imco but keep the y pipe !

Just Say N20
05-10-2006, 09:56 PM
While I have lived in Grand Rapids, Michigan for 19 years, I grew up in West Irondequiot. And you?

Ditto to Smokediver. I have heard two boats with V6 engines and thru-hull exhaust . Far be it from anyone to impose what they like on someone else, but unless you are wanting to install thru-hull exhaust for the sound, and you know what it will sound like ( and really like it!), don't do it. It will not sound at all like a V8. The tractor comparison is a good one. It will attract attention, although maybe not what you expect. Maybe that's why you can't readily find what you are looking for.

The 4.3 Mercruiser is a decently performing engine, and probably pushes your 16 into the mid-50s. Best to keep it quiet, and let people wonder what it has for power. :lookaroun

sjpajek@rochester.rr.com
05-11-2006, 06:26 AM
Thanks for you input, as a drummer too I should have figured it would sound like it was missing a beat (or two as it were). You saved me some coin. I really don't want people to think, (where's the John Deer?) as I ride past with this this pritty boat. This is for the former westie, rock on House of Guitars!

MR MAGOO
05-11-2006, 06:49 AM
Right On! A buddy of mine did this exact mod on his 4.3 and it does sound like tractor when open. It's now always left in the thru prop mode.

Shanghied Again
05-11-2006, 08:35 AM
I did the same on my 1996 Donzi 16, my advise don't do it. she sounded great on idle, but as soon as you throttled up she sounded like a piper cherokee taking off! Its sounds more like a Toyota with a big can muffler on it!

The Hedgehog
05-11-2006, 06:03 PM
Another perspective

I did it too. I think that it sounds kind of cool. Yes it is somewhat of an airplane like sound. You will need to use IMCO thumper if you have a 1990. I am toying with puttting in the switchable system from my 27ZX. I am pleased with the mod.

I did it in anticipation of additional mods. A 16 with a v-8 is cool but not a very original idea. A 16 with a screaming v-6, now that is different.

I might be able to get a sound clip in a couple of weeks and you can see for yourself.

gold-n-rod
05-12-2006, 09:02 AM
i think a better point is... a 16 with a V8 is a ROYAL PITA to work on.... :rolleyes:

Not if ya gots a Sawzall. That's what I'm gonna use whenever I have to work on mine. Like R&R the dual batteries, the seprentine belt, or the sparking plugs.

Might even use a chainsaw for faster cutting! :fire:

The Hedgehog
05-12-2006, 09:25 AM
actually the 16 w/ a V8 is pretty original... that's how they came in 64 LOL...:p
i think a better point is... a 16 with a V8 is a ROYAL PITA to work on.... :rolleyes:

Very true about the original comment. Actually, I thought that the came with a smaller motor but the HM V-8 was an option.

I really meant different.

I did hear that your v-8 16 would fly!