PDA

View Full Version : Blue Angels Practice

Barry Eller
05-09-2006, 08:17 PM
On vacation this week, staying home, in Florida, house is 500 feet from Pensacola Bay, Dr. neighbor lets me use his boathouse and lift, life is good.
The Blue Angels fly a practice "Demo" each Tuesday and Wednesday at 08:30 sharp. My point of departure to the Pensacola Bay pass is approx. 8 miles, so its no ordeal to go watch. The noise those F/A 18 Hornets make is pure power!!!
So I guess no one is using a "Nose Cone" on their outdrives?
Here is Denise saying "Hello"!!

Barry Eller
05-09-2006, 10:15 PM
The Blue Angels are home based in Pensacola, across from the peninsular I live on between the City of Pensacola and Pensacola Beach. P' Beach is a barrier Island, Santa Rosa Island. Our house is in the flight path for the Navy base air strip, they have maneuvers that take them over us. We have 2 air shows a year, a Beach show in July, and their Home Coming show in November. But we get to "unofficial" shows 2 times a week. They are open to the public and on Wednesdays, the pilots have a autograph session at the Naval Aviation Museum after the practice. Where we go to watch them is across from Pensacola NAS, by the pass to the Gulf of Mexico. I won't even start to post all the photos I have of them. The first aircraft I saw them fly was the Grumman F-11 Cougar. Then they moved to F-4 Phantoms, A4 Skyhawks, and now the F/A Hornet. Lt Cmdr. Mike Gershon, a local guy I went to High School and College with, was the #6 solo pilot killed at the Niagara Falls Air Show in 1985. My Mother was his wife's Sunday School teacher. She has had a lot of tragedy in her life, Mike Jr. was killed on a ATV,not wearing a helmet, died of head injuries at 13 years old.

Hear are a couple photos from today.

What am I going to do tomorrow? I still have 3/4 tank of gas!!!

Check out our Blue Angels @ www.blueangels.navy.mil/

Carl C
05-10-2006, 08:22 AM
And to think that some people actually complain about the noise. I have a getaway in the Huron National Forest in northern Michigan and F-16 fighters practice tree top flying almost directly over the house. By the time you hear one it is too late to see it but if you hurry to the window you can watch the second or third one fly right past the house at tree top level and just under mach 1!!! It's really quite a sight and sound and I look forward to seeing them. Then they head out over Lake Huron for more practice.:yippie:

apollo24
05-10-2006, 08:38 AM
Guys, I still think a Donzi Rendesvous at the July 4th Blue Angels Show is in order. A few of us got together last year- it was great. We need to talk this up. I can't imagine a better place and event to round up.

I'd imagine that most of the hotels and condos are back in order- Barry, Dan? Is the Crowne Plaza redone yet?

p729lws
05-10-2006, 08:58 AM
They were just here for the Air and Sea Show....
I think Air22 did a fly-by also :eek: :eek:

Our house is in their flight path when they come back from some of the shows. They always come in low to let you know they're back in town. We did get buzzed early sunday evening, good stuff!

Dan

p729lws
05-10-2006, 09:06 AM
Guys, I still think a Donzi Rendesvous at the July 4th Blue Angels Show is in order. A few of us got together last year- it was great. We need to talk this up. I can't imagine a better place and event to round up.
I'd imagine that most of the hotels and condos are back in order- Barry, Dan? Is the Crowne Plaza redone yet?

The grand is just now getting put back together. All the other Pensacola hotels are back. I'm not sure how many of the beach hotels are still being worked on but quite a few are open.

Dan

Barry Eller
05-10-2006, 09:35 AM
The main airshow is Saturday, July 15th. The Blues practices start the Wednesday before with flybys to get their check points down.Then they do a full practice show on Thursday and Friday. Those practice shows are much less crowded. There is still limited parking for cars on the beach, the bridges and the City of Gulf Breeze will most likely be gridlock. going by boat is the only way to go!!! Dan and I will keep you informed on a possible "event".

I'm looking forward to meeting you. Your Donzi looks way cool!!!

Barry:yippie: