PDA

View Full Version : Pictures from Oregon

Cuda
05-08-2006, 07:34 PM
My cousin just sent me some pictures of a place we used to go when I lived in Oregon, Lake Harriet. It's up near Mt Hood. We'd go up there trout fishing. I remember we were camping there so we could be on the water first thing opening day. My other cuz, Davey, slept in the boat, so he could be the first. Bad idea! It snowed that night!

We didn't fare much better in the tent, it blew down. We all ended up in my uncles camper before it was all said and done. :biggrin:

Cuda
05-08-2006, 07:36 PM
When Davey and I were both 14, we conned my mom into taking us up there, and letting us camp for three days. It was just Davey, me and my Lab, Missy. We thought we were hot chit. We had a rubber raft. We had to promise not to take the raft in the rapids, just stay on the lake. Of course as soon as mom was out of sight, we carried the raft upstream, and put it in to ride the rapids. There was a spot where the river was flying through, and hits up against a log, and turns ninety degrees. I was sitting on the side of the raft while we were barreling down on that log, so I stuck the paddle out to fend us off. Bad idea! I went immediately over backwards into the rapids. Thank god I had a lifejacket on, because I had no idea which was was up! I came up sputtering and Dave was laughing his ass off, and trying to beat me with the paddle (he claims he was trying to reach me with it).

When I came up, I looked back into the rapids, and here came Missy swimming through the rapids! That water is ice cold, it's up in the mountains and is pure snow runnoff.

ChromeGorilla
05-08-2006, 08:15 PM
I gotta make it out to the Pacific NW sometime...... beautifull part of the country.....

Uncle Fester
05-08-2006, 08:56 PM
I gotta make it out to the Pacific NW sometime...... beautifull part of the country.....

Anytime you guys.......got lots of room and if it's in the summer you can even ride in the boat :beer:

joel3078
05-08-2006, 09:13 PM

Yup one of my fav spots. Go see hurricane ridge, the ho (spell?) rainforest, and take that ferry boat ride over to Vancouver. Heck, all of Washington state was very nice. And they lie, it doesn't rain every day.

EricG
05-09-2006, 09:37 AM
Yup one of my fav spots. Go see hurricane ridge, the ho (spell?) rainforest, and take that ferry boat ride over to Vancouver. Heck, all of Washington state was very nice. And they lie, it doesn't rain every day.

Nope...it only rains every day in the winter...and just on the Weekends in the spring. 4 weeks in a row of beautiful 60+ degree days during the week, with RAIN and 40's on the weekend...this is getting old. :kaioken: :kaioken: But, those 3 weeks of sun in August are pretty hard to beat.

Great Pics Cuda - we won a raffle at a company function for a weekend at a resort right near there....but we haven't found the time to go down there yet. Maybe we'll have to move that up the priority list.

-EG
Lifelong Washington Resident

Cuda
05-09-2006, 09:50 AM
There are so many places to go there, I wish I had time to take Debbie there, she'd love it. Next to the Grand Canyon, I think Crater Lake is the most awesome place I've been. The coast is gorgeous, if you don't mind the rain. I think of all the times we had been to the coast, I only remember it being sunny twice. The Deschutes is a beautiful river, the sand dunes near Coos Lake is fun, hiking in to Bagby Hotsprings is another cool memory, along with snowmobiling on Frog Lake in the winter. My cousin just moved back there a few months ago, and bought a place ten miles outside of Astoria. He's been sending me pictures of herds of elk in his front yard. Too bad it's so far away for me. My parents have been going back there nearly every summer for the last fifteen years. My mom was born in Portland. My dad met her when he was a sailor boy, stationed in Astoria.

boldts
05-09-2006, 11:05 AM
Got to go out to Portland Oregon for work once. We flew in right between Mt. StHelens and Mt Hood. Beautiful. Once there, we went up Mt Hood to the lodge. It was Spring, but still a little snow on the ground and quite nippy to say the least. Lots of water falls along the road up and back down. We ate dinner at a resturaunt that the back wall was all windows so you could see a waterfall and stream going down to the river. Wish I could remember the name of the river. Played golf on a beautiful course right next to Portland International raceway. Oh yea, I did do a little work while there, but I've got to get back there someday with my daughter.