PDA

View Full Version : Windshield Material for Sale

Stan
05-08-2006, 04:00 PM
Windshield Installation Story & Material for Sale
I just re-did the windshield on my 1989 22 Classic and have enough pieces left over to make another windshield. Please see the "Parts For Sale" section.
My Windshield story:
I used 3/8 inch Polycarbonate made by Hyzod AR-2 # 7135. This is the BEST material you can use…PERIOD ! The 3/8 inch Polycarbonate is stronger and less flexible then the original 1/4 inch that was there. I also used the AR-2. That means "Abrasion Resistant" on BOTH sides. 7135 is the degree of darkness.
If any of you have called around for this stuff, you know it's hard to find. The ¼ in AR-1 # 7135 was almost impossible to get without ordering the six sheet minimum ! And when I did find some Polycarbonate in 1/4 in # 7135 ............ it still needed to be Abrasion Resistant coated for an extra charge of $ 125 per side. Trying to get the 3/8…….forget about it !!
I gotta tell you, I got lucky ! I called about 20 places here in Southern calif, and finally found 1 sheet of the 3/8 stuff. I only wanted the AR-1, but when they said they only had a sheet of the AR-2, I said " ITS MINE !!! ".
Drove out about 50 miles on a rainy Saturday morning, old windshields in hand. I was going to cut the pieces myself at home, but after seeing and talking to the guys there, I decided to have them cut the stuff for me, and boy, am I glad I let the pros do it.
They first cut the large sheet into 2 smaller more manageable sheets. They then placed the old windshields on top of the new pieces, securing one to the other using 2-sided tape (very smart) no clamps to get in the way. They then used a shaper (basically an upside down router) and traced the outline of the old pieces…..drilled the holes…..cleaned up the edges with a disc sander……..bingo all done. Took about 45 minutes. I used the old grommets from the previous plastic pieces.
I am confident I could have done as nice a job as the pros, but for a lot more time and thinking ! When you know how to do something right (the first time) it's easy.
Remember……."measure 3 times …cut once !! "
The 3/8 Polycarbonate Hyzod AR-2 4x8 sheet cost me $ 425 with sales tax ( and $ 80 bucks to cut ). From my calling around, this was a very good price, with NO shipping charge. So I'm in about $ 500 bucks. REMEMBER ….this is the 3/8 stuff, NOT the ¼. For the ¼ stuff, I got quoted $180 a sheet plus $ 125 per side for Abrasion Resistant coating = $ 430 plus tax.and cutting.
I was hoping there would be enough material left over to do another windshield for a 22. But that's not going to happen. BUT, there is definitely enough to do a windshield for an 18 Classic or similar. The windshield on the 18 should be the same length as the 22 but the width is not as much. The side pieces, I figure about 38 inches in length and the width is also less than on a 22.
The 2 pieces I have left are :
71 3/8 x 14 1/8
48 ½ x 17
Polycarbonate Hyzod AR-2 # 7135
I know you can get a new windshield out of the big piece. I had an 18 classic and according to my measurements, I am confident you can get 2 sides from the smaller piece, but please check your own boat before buying this.
$ 225 plus the shipping…$ 20 bucks $ 245 Total
This way I recover some of my cost. If you think its expensive, that’s ok.......try finding this stuff !
Stan.......:cool!:
Seh1@aol.com
818-406-1802