PDA

View Full Version : Turbo 1 vs Mirage Plus rpm

blackhawk
05-08-2006, 09:13 AM
Anyone know first hand what the rpm differences are between the Mirage Plus and Turbo 1. Same pitch will the Turbo run higher, lower or similar rpm? The M+ has a larger diameter and a lot of cup so I would assume it will be a little lower but I want to make sure before I buy the Turbo.

Thanks

undertaker
05-08-2006, 10:53 AM
My 25 pitch Turbo 1 runs 5000 RPM; my 25 pitch mirage + runs 4800 RPMS...

Undertaker:biggrin: :bighug:

Pismo
05-08-2006, 11:29 AM
So I am at the limiter with a 25" Mplus so a 25" Turbo is NG, and 27s are hard to find.

blackhawk
05-08-2006, 12:01 PM
So I am at the limiter with a 25" Mplus so a 25" Turbo is NG, and 27s are hard to find.

Do you have a 25 Turbo?

blackhawk
05-08-2006, 12:02 PM
My 25 pitch Turbo 1 runs 5000 RPM; my 25 pitch mirage + runs 4800 RPMS...
Undertaker:biggrin: :bighug:

Thanks! That's what I figured but I wanted to make sure.

pmreed
05-08-2006, 12:44 PM
I had my 25 Turbo 1 repitched to 26. It's a touch faster than my 25P Mirage + now on my 22 and much more stable. I get to 5000 RPMs with either prop. I still love the Mirage + though; you really feel like you're flying the boat when you trim it up and get it on the edge. I'd like to try a labbed M+; might just be the fun ticket.

Phil

Pismo
05-08-2006, 03:12 PM
No I don't have a Turbo, but I do have a labbed 27" MPlus. It is faster and got me off the limiter but is very unstable. The boat is much more difficult to handle than with the 25" Mplus non-labbed. It never settles in nicely like the 25". There is a thread somwhere that talks about the MPlus 27" and how unstable it often makes the boat.

blackhawk
05-08-2006, 03:26 PM
No I don't have a Turbo, but I do have a labbed 27" MPlus. It is faster and got me off the limiter but is very unstable. The boat is much more difficult to handle than with the 25" Mplus non-labbed. It never settles in nicely like the 25". There is a thread somwhere that talks about the MPlus 27" and how unstable it often makes the boat.

I have read that the 27 and 29 M+ are very "unstable".

Sam
05-08-2006, 08:02 PM
I never liked the M+, made my boat act like it was on crack :bonk:. The Turbo was faster and was a much better prop all around.

boldts
05-09-2006, 11:41 AM
Turbo props are available for testing at AOTH VI May 18th thru 21st on Lake Cumberland where there is plenty of room to let the Horses unwind. Jamestown, Kentucky. Yea 6 to 8 hour drive for our MI friends, but hey. You not only get to try a prop you want to try for free, but you get to spend the weekend with a bunch of other crazy Donzi owners and this year, Don Aronow company boat owners. You like a 20' Cigarette? Looks like at least 2 will be in attendance. Never seen a 27' Squadron XII? I believe we have 1 coming to the gathering. Might be a Magnum or 2 attending. Only boat I don't think will be in attendance is a USA Racing cat, but I've been surprised before. Ya never fully know. You could go into work and say look guys: "This is my boat in Boater's Life magazine." If ya can, hook the trailer up and bring your Donzi down. Relax a bit with friends and have a great weekend.

roadtrip se
05-09-2006, 11:53 AM
I have read that the 27 and 29 M+ are very "unstable".

Difference is the diameter.

27 is like 14 3/8 and the 29 is 15, if memory serves me.

In my tests, the 27 tried to kill me the first and only time I ran it. Literally idled back to the docks, put the boat on the trailer, and went in search of tequila to thanks the gods for allowing me to live.

I like the 29. I have had it labbed to take a little of the cup out to make it act more like a 28. It stills try to kill me on occassion, but it is still the fastest prop I own, so it does find its way onto the boat once in awhile.

The Turbo TXP is almost as fast and so far hasn't put me up against a wall with an unexpected handling twisty...

blackhawk
05-09-2006, 06:04 PM
Difference is the diameter.
27 is like 14 3/8 and the 29 is 15, if memory serves me.
In my tests, the 27 tried to kill me the first and only time I ran it. Literally idled back to the docks, put the boat on the trailer, and went in search of tequila to thanks the gods for allowing me to live.
I like the 29. I have had it labbed to take a little of the cup out to make it act more like a 28. It stills try to kill me on occassion, but it is still the fastest prop I own, so it does find its way onto the boat once in awhile.
The Turbo TXP is almost as fast and so far hasn't put me up against a wall with an unexpected handling twisty...

I thought both the 27 and 29 were 14 3/8"? From 19 to 27 they get 1/8" smaller in diamter every pitch change. If the 29 is that big that would be a HUGE difference in handling.

Roadtrip, you spooling a 29 now? NICE! :D What you running now, 85?

blackhawk
05-09-2006, 08:20 PM
Turbo props are available for testing at AOTH VI May 18th thru 21st on Lake Cumberland where there is plenty of room to let the Horses unwind. Jamestown, Kentucky. Yea 6 to 8 hour drive for our MI friends, but hey. You not only get to try a prop you want to try for free, but you get to spend the weekend with a bunch of other crazy Donzi owners and this year, Don Aronow company boat owners. You like a 20' Cigarette? Looks like at least 2 will be in attendance. Never seen a 27' Squadron XII? I believe we have 1 coming to the gathering. Might be a Magnum or 2 attending. Only boat I don't think will be in attendance is a USA Racing cat, but I've been surprised before. Ya never fully know. You could go into work and say look guys: "This is my boat in Boater's Life magazine." If ya can, hook the trailer up and bring your Donzi down. Relax a bit with friends and have a great weekend.

Man, I do need a vacation like a mofo! Is it okay if I bring a Pantera instead of a Donzi? :D

roadtrip se
05-10-2006, 09:05 AM
C'mon down to Cumberland. I'm pretty sure we'll have an Eliminator with big juice showing for a repeat performance, so you wouldn't be the only non-aronow boat there.

I bet the precision turbo guys can make that Pantera run!

blackhawk
05-11-2006, 10:37 AM
Well, I just picked up a Turbo 26 x 14.25 that should be here today. I talked to Turbo and they said that is one of their older props and is actually closer to a 25. So, now I have three props to try. Hmmm, I wonder if I should pic up a Quad IV too!? :D

BigGrizzly
05-11-2006, 07:13 PM
L have first hand Knowlege with both a 27 Marage plus and My 27 turbo1. in my case the turbo turned less rpms at 5200 and the M+ 5400. the turbo was 2 mph faster even at less rpms. The difference in handling was short of amaising. This sold me on Turbo. Sold the Mpluss thayt week. I will never put thayt prop on my boat again. I now run a 29 TXP, and loaned my Turbo to one of my best friends for as long asw he needs it. The M+ was a good prop in its day but that was a long time ago. I have tried no less than 15 different props on my Criterion and I feel I am running the best there is now. Come to C-land and I'll show you

blackhawk
05-11-2006, 07:21 PM
L have first hand Knowlege with both a 27 Marage plus and My 27 turbo1. in my case the turbo turned less rpms at 5200 and the M+ 5400. the turbo was 2 mph faster even at less rpms. The difference in handling was short of amaising. This sold me on Turbo. Sold the Mpluss thayt week. I will never put thayt prop on my boat again. I now run a 29 TXP, and loaned my Turbo to one of my best friends for as long asw he needs it. The M+ was a good prop in its day but that was a long time ago. I have tried no less than 15 different props on my Criterion and I feel I am running the best there is now. Come to C-land and I'll show you

Thanks Grizz I just picked up a Turbo 26(Turbo said it is closer to a 25) today but won't be able to test until I make sure I have the right thrust washer.

I still think the Mirage and Mirage Plus are great props but the 27 M+ is a strange prop from what I have heard. Julie at Throttle Up said the 27 was nickmaked "The Widowmaker" because of it's crazy handling! :D

BigGrizzly
05-11-2006, 08:15 PM
I also had used a 25/26 M+ and it has the same feel. I have never heard that nick name. I will say that at 5400 RPMS the boat is going 81mph. If you dont have external hydraulic steering it will be a trip-been there and done that trick with both props. Then I am not trying to sell you a Hydromotive or a lab finished prop either. According to the late Dave Cavnaugh of Mercury racing and the designer of the bravoI prop the 27 up Marage plus does not like to be lab finished. He said that thinning the blades causes problems with handling. Just to set the rechord straight I don't use labfinished props. If it doesn't work off the shelf I refuse to pay another 125 to 400 more dollars to make it right. I can travel at 86 MPH with a TXP 29 right out of the box. My boat does not have any handling problems. Ask Poodle he has driven my boat and countless others have ridden with me.

blackhawk
05-11-2006, 09:12 PM
Well hopefully I can get a couple more mph out of this Turbo once I get the right thrust washer! :D