PDA

View Full Version : will it ever see the water this year?

Moody Blu'
05-08-2006, 12:22 AM
Well, im quite sick with my gas tank problem I know i have to take my deck off but it might kill any time in it for the summer what would you do?

I figured I could either buy a kevlar bladder and put it somwhere, not sure where and leave my old tank sucked dry in it for now.until i get my own house or find a close large garage

Or get some canvases and do the deck off on my property with no garage and just cover it during the rainy days. would this be to close to messing up the reglassing of the transom? i was thinking of setting the deck on a few large school tables or maybe making a hoist in a crappy canvas garage and tying it up to support it??

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d194/beerock69/me%20pics/boat/DSC00109.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d194/beerock69/me%20pics/boat/DSCF0128.jpg

tiger lily
05-08-2006, 03:41 PM
some 2x4s, some blue tarp, and staple gun, and most important a few cases of beer one afternoon, and some friends, build a temporary shelter around it, did when working on a friends truck one year in dead nuts of winter in Michigan..

mrfixxall
05-08-2006, 04:02 PM
Moody all you need is one of those portable garages for cars and a tow truck to lift the deck off...just some advise i set two 4x4's in the ski locker and straped the 4x4's for lifting and lifted the deck off and set it aside the boat..the helm and steering cable,all wireing went with the deck oo and disconnect the fuel filler hose...Dont lift from the lifting rings or you may damage the decks fiberglass...
good luck
mike

need for speed
05-08-2006, 07:32 PM
DO the TANK get on it!!!

humm I have seen that trailer before!!!

yeller
05-08-2006, 10:20 PM
Moody...Costco here in :canada: sells a 10x20 portable for $200. The should have it in the US for less. Won't be quite enough room to pull and store the deck, but it'll keep the hull dry when you work on it.

Now get going!!! ;) :biggrin.: If you fly at it now, you'll still have plenty of summer to enjoy. :yes:

Moody Blu'
05-10-2006, 03:59 PM
well i just got my new brake pads and rotors installed on my E350 super cargo so thats taken care of for hauling. I also just ordered my new oil pan from kevko racing 9 quart, 4 gate and I also got a windage tray to keep all the oil where it needs to be!

Im also going to have it powdercoated so there are no issues with rust

Part # F201 | F202
Ford Rear Sump Pans

Fits cars with front steer and engine set back. This 9 quart pan has 4 gates, 2 diverters, a scraper and oil level plug, painted black finish. The sump is 7 1/2" deep, 12" wide and 12" long. The front of pan is 6 1/4" deep. A windage tray is optional.

http://www.kevko.net/ford.htm

http://www.kevko.net/images/ford_windage_full.gif

http://www.kevko.net/images/ford_rear_sump_full.gif

Forrest
06-02-2006, 11:26 AM
Hay Broque, did you ever replace that bad gas tank? If you haven't, you might want to think about doing that before doing anything else to your Donzi. You can't be too careful when it come to gasoline in a boat. Remember what happened to our very own Marc Duper (Marcdups) - and he was being careful. In case anyone forgot:

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=43630

Just to let you know, both my 16 and my X-18 are out of commission and will not be fueled again until their tanks are replaced. My '72 16 has the original steel gas tank which has to be toast by now, and besides, in the past I would occasionally smell a hint of gas in the bilge. To use this boat would be asking for trouble. Additionally my ''77 X-18's gas tank does not leak yet, but I can see deep corrosion pits in the aluminum where the foam meets the tank in a few places.

Be safe

Cuda
06-02-2006, 01:14 PM
To answer your question, nope.

You've been talking about it for months, and haven't hit a lick at it yet, so I doubt it will be done this year, if ever. It won't fix itself.

Moody Blu'
06-02-2006, 06:33 PM
To answer your question, nope.
You've been talking about it for months, and haven't hit a lick at it yet, so I doubt it will be done this year, if ever. It won't fix itself.

aaaaayyyyyeeee!!!!!! whats with the negativity???

patience my brother, when have i not accomplished what i set out to do?

It just so happens i purchased a 20x10 portable garage.

2nd, why would i buy an oil pan and post a thread about switching cams in my boat?

cuda just cuz ive never come to a meet doesnt mean i havent wanted to, seems like a couple of guys on here are not to friendly with me cuz i never have come to a meet? like i said in previous posts my boat isnt ready to be shown to all you donzi critics. but soon it will be. I dont have the kind of money some of you have to throw around, so i spend it wisely.

and third, i really havent head anyone around the nj area on this forum say oo oo me me ill help you out so i have to work on this boat by myself just like always and i will get it done. tanks for riling me up cuda

forrest thanks for being concerned. I have never smelled any gas whatsoever in my bilge and from the cut hols in my floor the tank looks in good shape, but i know its rusting from the inside out cuz of the damn fuel pick up problem :splat:

If anyone knows the part number for the new rub rails since my old ones have had it. I would appreciate it!!

i think pearson has the correct rails right?

Cuda
06-02-2006, 06:48 PM
I wasn't trying to be negative, just calling 'em like I see 'em. Past performance predicts future behaviour.

If you're waiting for someone to come do it for you, you'll be waiting forever. Now, if you get started on it, and then need some help, someone from the board will probably give you a hand. I've done a chitload of work, to a chitload of my boats, and I promise you, there's never been another soul from the board to help me, just what help I can get from Debbie.

I thought maybe I'd build a fire under you to getter done. I'm glad to see you've made a move for the cover to work under. Get at it. :)

Moody Blu'
06-02-2006, 06:51 PM
I wasn't trying to be negative, just calling 'em like I see 'em. Past performance predicts future behaviour.
If you're waiting for someone to come do it for you, you'll be waiting forever. Now, if you get started on it, and then need some help, someone from the board will probably give you a hand. I've done a chitload of work, to a chitload of my boats, and I promise you, there's never been another soul from the board to help me, just what help I can get from Debbie.
I thought maybe I'd build a fire under you to getter done. I'm glad to see you've made a move for the cover to work under. Get at it. :)

I figured that!!!!!!!!!!!!:wavey:

joseph m. hahnl
06-03-2006, 01:31 PM
Moody .I totaly know what you mean about hobby funds. Do you have a tank picked out allready?

joe

Cuda
06-03-2006, 01:45 PM
It just so happens I'm going to put a new tank in Debbie's 22 too. I just sold the Checkmate this morning, so I'll probably take it down to have it done next week. I need some glass work done on the deck, and have a new rubrail installed while they're at it. Now, if I could just sell one more boat, I have have a 496 dropped in while they have the deck off. :)

gcarter
06-03-2006, 03:27 PM
Broque, if you do all your planning carefully, you can do a tank change, and a bunch of other stuff too, in a long weekend.
If you want too, you can PM, or email me and I can help with a lot of suppliers etc.
I did mine completely by myself, and I'm more than twice as old as you are.
This shouldn't knock out your whole summer.

Donzigo
06-03-2006, 05:51 PM
I'm not scared of anything but fire on a boat. They burn up in less than 5 minutes, big or small.

Please do the right thing..........don't play routlette with a bad fuel tank.

Cuda
06-03-2006, 07:10 PM
That's why Deb's is going in next week. I don't know if it's leaking, but I smell some gas, and it is due. Better safe than sorry.

Donzigo
06-04-2006, 12:10 AM
My neighbor came down the canal, when I was cutting my fuel tank out, a year ago. He said: "Hey, I smell gas, are you dumping some in the canal". I told him: "No".

Ha came back by a few weeks later and said: "Dang, it was me. I had to change my fuel tank, too".

MOP
06-04-2006, 09:46 PM
Talk about HP gain with heads!

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/116_0307_ford/

Moody Blu'
06-05-2006, 11:06 AM
Talk about HP gain with heads!
http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/116_0307_ford/
to bad thee aluminum.

carter, thanks man, ill pm ya we will talk. BTW you may be older but i just had back sugery due to a ton disc (l4-l5)6 weeks ago...........

I did swap the suspension out on my car in under 3 hours but i was really sore(muscle sore) my back was good, but im a bit out of shape so tackeling this will be a task

I plan on doing some custom fabrication for the motor, for a alternator bracket i bought from MARCH because the H/M bracket just blows ass.

I also plan on re wiring the entire boat which should be a cake walk for me. i also have to drop off all my old metal hardware(which is originial) and have fresh chrome slapped on the pieces. throttle, lifting rings, vents, OH **** bar, the old rear light, and steering assembly.

I may pull the trigger and end up getting rid of all my volvos for the one drive only one other member had on the site but then im looking at a complete transom rebuild etc.

also, i know near my rear vents the core of my deck is rotted, the wood is done so I may be opening up a big can of wormsm, but i know im not dealing with the fuel tank problems anymore.

I went out right in front of the shell in lbi on a glorious day with 2 friends and the damn pick up clogged up and it just so happened that my battery was on its way out so it wouldnt crank, and about 100+ of my friends wer eon the beach and i was getting calls left and right, meanwhile i was drifting in towards the waves and had to franticly jump in the water and pull the boat further out and drop anchor(with all my friends onland watching and laughing).

so yea, im done with this tank....

btw i bought a new battery and everything was good. I also plan on going with a dual batery setup so that ownt happen again....

Moody Blu'
06-05-2006, 04:25 PM
Moody .I totaly know what you mean about hobby funds. Do you have a tank picked out allready?
joe

not yet, thinking about a aluminum 40 gallon or i may just take out the tank completely and put in a plastic race tank, or maybe a kevlar bladder.