PDA

View Full Version : Running the X in the Driveway

SideshowRob
05-07-2006, 10:45 PM
Alright, it's time to fire up the X. I've been puttering around in the boat, doin some cleaning and prepping. I'm going to be firing the boat up this week, my plan is to sit the outdrive in a large plastic container and run it like that. My concern is that a hose won't give me enough water. So, does anyone have any advice opinions on this, if so advize away. I was told that running the motor this way could create a vacuum and prevent water from being drawn in? It seems reasonable so tell me what you've done and what you think. Thanks for the help :biggrin:

Lenny
05-07-2006, 11:44 PM
No worries Rob. I do it all the time. Actually, everytime. :D

Get the BIGGEST, (as in longest tub you can find) Get a rectangular one. Superstore or WalMart will probably have 'em. The reason I say long is that you want to be able to tilt the drive up and out when done and not have the prop/fin bumping into the container with 250 pounds of water in it.

The hose, on FULL will suffice fine. You can run all day long. If you are above 1500-2000 for any period of time you need top back off and go back to an idle for replenishing. At mid range-ish RPMS, the hose will not be able to keep up.

In other words, don't rev it to 2500, then decide to go into the house and make lunch. :eek: I always stay around it in case the dog decides to "play" in the water and pull the hose out :(

No worries. :)

gcarter
05-08-2006, 05:26 AM
You can invest in a 3/4" hose too. It will flow substantially more water than a 5/8" hose.

MOP
05-08-2006, 06:33 AM
I run my 383 on the hose in fact I have a short section of 5/8 with a cut off valve, several years no problems. I run it atleast 15-20 minutes to flush it good.

Phil

boldts
05-08-2006, 08:57 AM
Rob, Lenny is right on. Used to do the same thing when I had a Volvo 250 on the 18' Classic. I even was able to use a regular round large trash can. Put the front of the trailer on the ground to give you a little more height on the transom. If you don't get water out the exhaust in a couple minutes, you've got a problem. Even with the block being completely empty. Check her for leaks. If none found, I'd trailer to the lake, river, whatever and put the drive down in as if you were going to launch. Sometimes I've found where the added pressure makes a difference. If you still don't get water out the exhaust, waterpump impeller is probably shot.

tiger lily
05-08-2006, 06:46 PM
take hose clamp off from where it is on the transom and line goes to the motor, clamp your hose to that , start boat, unkink hose, never once had a problem doing it that, might not be the right way but it works. either that or those stupid muff ears that go on the outdrive, but i never have good luck with those.