PDA

View Full Version : seems kind of small, but

onesubdrvr
05-07-2006, 09:00 PM
I've been looking ar pontoon boats, and found a 16' sweetwater that appears to be in pretty good shape (going to look at it tomorrow), do you think a 16 would be big enough for my tribe? Ideally, about a 1 to 2 hour cruise, park, pic-nic, maybe fish a little, cruise back, call it a day,....

Also looking at a 20 and a 25 - don't really want to go 24 - seems a little big, 18 or 20 seems ideal, but if the 16 is in good shape, and the price is right,....

Thank's y'all
Wayne

Oh Yeah, 2 adults, 4 kids all less than 10, #5 on the way. Boat rated for 8 persons, but may occasionally be 9 if the grandparents want to tag along,...

Thanks again,
Me

SideshowRob
05-07-2006, 10:20 PM
I'd say it's too small for sure. We spend a lot of time in a 25'. Yeah it is big, but even with 2 kids all their gear and 4-6 adults, there isn't alot of open space. We have a few friends with 20' pontooners, I think that would be ideal for a family...... The thing you may want to consider is friends... the boat may be good for your family, but gauranteed at least one of the tribe is going to have friends on the boat, add coolers, clothes, toys etc... and you're out of room. I used to sell pontoons, and 20' is always the big seller. We had the odd older couple buy a 16' if it was just the two of them.
Another bonus of the 25'. 21 close friends and at least 4 coolers.... good times!
Seriously though, think about everything and everyone you think will be on the boat. You'll be happier in the long run if you can afford a little more for a bigger boat.

Cuda
05-07-2006, 11:00 PM
I'd say it was too small. Debbie has been bugging me to get a small pontoon. She wants a 16, but I told her that's too small for just us two.

MOP
05-08-2006, 06:28 AM
Wayne 16 is a NOT! 20 is marginal for the tribe, 22 and ^ would be the way to go.

Phil

joel3078
05-08-2006, 08:49 AM
Ditto, 20-25 footer is just right. However, an 18 footer is ok for 2 adults in back and 2 kids in front. Warning, if you get too much weight up front while they are moving, the front will sink like a submarine. I had a 1993 Grumman 18' fish-n-fun as my first boat so I know! Grumman pontoons are built like a tank by the way, all heavy duty top notch stuff goes into them. Pontoons tow about the same as an extra 5' does not weight that much more. If ya get a trailer, you will love the kind that the floats go in v bunks. The skinny lift it by the frame kind of trailer likes to tip during cornering and in a strong side wind on the freeway can be downright nasty - they flip sometimes.

Now if you want speed and family friendly, find a beast called a tri-toon. They have huge outboard motors and a center float so they can go 40+mph and actually corner pretty well. They were popular up here in the mid to late 90's so finding a used one should be easy. Tri-toons were a cheap alternative to a fiberglass deck boat.

Rootsy
05-08-2006, 10:53 AM
20 footer at least.... have one at the summer place that must be going on 15 years old now... a sweetwater with a 25 jonnie... not a speed demon but the lake is small so you don't need big HP... i'd suggest more power for longer trips...

the 20 is rated for like 9 people i believe... and if you want everyone to just sit in place it si fine.. if people want to fish or move around... well you probably don't want more than maybe 6 on board... or people get in each others ways.. and it gets cramped by the time you put a grill and cooler and tackle on board, etc etc etc...

i've seen a lot nicer than sweetwater too... after 15 years... always covered seats... and tarped or shrink wrapped in the iwnter the seat storage covers have been replaced and the deck is getting soft in many places... it is not sealed.. just marine plywood...

we bought it brand spakin new also... so all service on it has been done by me... the jonnie runs like the day it first fired :)

onesubdrvr
05-09-2006, 03:15 PM
Thanks everyone!!

will pass on the 16, and keep my eyes open for a 20+ footer

Thanks again
Wayne