PDA

View Full Version : Need help: steering hub removal on my ZX

Donzi LG
05-07-2006, 06:50 PM
Hi everyone,
I need advice on how to remove the stock steering wheel hub from my 22ZX. This is new to me so sorry if these questions seem basic. I've purchased a nice Momo Spargi wheel and hub assembly but I can't remove my stock hub. I've removed the nut on the shaft but the hub won't budge. I've included a pic of the hub as it is now. Do I need some kind of tool to pull the hub off the shaft? I know such things are needed for automotive applications but not sure about this. I see many have put on these Momo wheels, how did you the original hub off? Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm dying to get this wheel on and finish my upgrades!

John

gcarter
05-07-2006, 07:09 PM
You need to invest in a puller. Try Sears tool department.

Cuda
05-07-2006, 07:53 PM
I had to buy a puller to get it off my 22. I've taken them off before by having someone hold out on the wheel (you'll need to bolt it back on), running the nut out to the end of the shaft to protect i, and hit it was a brass hammer, or a brass drift. Be sure to protect the shaft. I didn't one time, then I had to order a die to clean the threads back up.

Donzi LG
05-08-2006, 06:51 PM
Thanks guys, I picked up a puller today. Let's hope this sucker comes off without too much hassle. Cuda, thanks for posting your pic, that confirmed my suspicions that I'd need a specific device to remove the hub. I picked up a matching powdercoated hub to match the wheel, hopefully I'll be able to install it and get the wheel aligned ok. I'm a little concerned about the bolt pattern on the new hub and how it will align to the wheel after it's on the shaft. I saw your completed pic but I can't see your hub, did you use the black one that came with your wheel? Thanks again for the help.

John

Cuda
05-08-2006, 07:54 PM
Here's a link to my swap.
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=44413&highlight=puller