PDA

View Full Version : new boat for me??

DonziChick
05-07-2006, 12:25 PM
After all of my (and dads and itllfli's) hard work - my boat is sold. The new owners are coming to pick it up today :(

Now - I'd like some opinions about a boat I'm thinking about. It's a 1983 25' Checkmate convincer. I went to look at it yesterday and it doesn't look like any other checkmate I've ever seen. Its got honey decks and navy sides (just like the older honey and navy donzis), teak cupholders, dash and cuddy doors. Its a beautiful boat. It needs new interior but that isn't a problem really. The stringers in the back have all been redone. I checked the ones in the front and they're solid

The ONLY thing I don't like about this boat is that it has an outboard on the back. Its 2000 Optimax 225 (I think - may be 250). The lower has under 100 hrs on it and the upper has under 4 hrs. The powerhead was rebuilt because of warranty issues and the guy never really got to use it because of wife and kids.

And the price is VERY right (8500 to 9000 I know I can get it for). What do you guys thinking?

Ed Donnelly
05-07-2006, 12:40 PM
CheckmateChick just doesn't have the right ring to it.......Ed

gcarter
05-07-2006, 01:02 PM
CheckmateChick just doesn't have the right ring to it.......Ed
But Ed...neither did Crownline Chick.:biggrin.:

DonziChick
05-07-2006, 01:08 PM
:D It was a Thompson...

Seriously though, I want something big enough I can sleep on and I don't want to pay for a ZX. I was looking at Regazza's but didn't find any I really wanted that were near me.

This boat has everything I want except it has an outboard.

RedDog
05-07-2006, 02:35 PM
for what it's worth, the OptiMax runs very quite and has a low fuel appetite. Sure is easy to winterize too.

Dr. Dan
05-07-2006, 02:44 PM
:cool!: Elizabeth, I have a friend who's first boat was an 252 Convincer with a 454 IO. That boat was a riot...we had more fun with it....adventures I still can't disclose to this day...

It ran well handled incredibly rough seas in the Chesapeake and it never gave up the ghost... I am not knowledgeable on OUTBOARDS...but if the rest is good...I think the Outboard would just take getting used to... the price seems right...

Got any pics of it? Sounds kinda cool...Woodsy's Outboard was Honey & Blue... thought it was cool.. keep us posted.

Doc of AOTH VI Rendevous' :D

tiger lily
05-07-2006, 03:51 PM
i like the clamp ons more, you have my vote on it

mrfixxall
05-07-2006, 04:07 PM
Donzichick,,how's about this one a bit more but better on your pocket book in the long run.
http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/0/2/83138002.htm

p.s. contact tmdog i think he's near their and im sure he will check it out for you if your interested..

DonziChick
05-07-2006, 06:00 PM
thanks for the link. I am/was really looking in the 25ish range. I need something bigger for Lake Erie.

I made an offer this afternoon and he accepted. I'll get some pics for you guys.

Oh and it was a 250 bluewater series off the back. I was mistaken

Carl C
05-07-2006, 06:05 PM
It sounds good to me. I've got some good memories of Checkmate. And that's a good motor so I say look it over real good and water test it real good and go for it.:yes:

show-n-go h2o
05-08-2006, 09:39 AM
so will we get to see the new one at AOTH, it's only 1 week and 4 days away.

DonziChick
05-08-2006, 09:42 AM
Probably not. We don't do the title exchange until next week when he gets back from Myrtle Beach. Plus, I don't have a two vehicle of my own

Bad-Tat
05-08-2006, 06:44 PM
Ms E.
When you wear out that stinkpot we'll get you a Honda!!!