PDA

View Full Version : What a 40,000 Horsepower Boat Race looks like

EricG
05-06-2006, 07:32 PM
I spent today as a guest onboard one of the participants in the "Worlds Largest Tugboat Race" - AKA the Seattle Maritime Festival.

I was onboard the Island Scout - a 100' 3000HP tug. Its sister ship is the 3 time defending champ in the "B" Class - which is for boats 3000 HP and under, but they moved us up to the "Unlimited" class, so we didn't finish very well - the title went to the Crowley Marine "Hunter" - a 136' 9000HP vessel, which wins every year, but it was still quite a race. I think you'd be hard pressed to find a more "powerful" field of race boats lined up anywhere...

Here are some pics:
The Island Scout
The Milling Area
The Champion
Lining Up at the Start
The Start
The Race
Neck and Neck
The Front Runners
Heading for the Finish

BUIZILLA
05-06-2006, 08:03 PM
now, THAT is really, really, really, really, REALLY cool stuff.....

did I mention that was really cool....

JH

DonziJon
05-06-2006, 08:18 PM
I like that. It also looks like typical Seattle weather. I take it this is a "speed" race. Do they have a "Grunt" race?? ie: Pulling power. Does the NAVY compete? They (the Navy) have some pretty big sea going long haul tugs. John

rustnrot
05-06-2006, 10:32 PM
It appears as though they do not and are not capable of planing but slowly and eventually overcome and go over their bow wave and therefore create this huge swell at intervals behind them??????

EricG
05-07-2006, 10:00 AM
The US Navy doesn't compete...but the Canadian Navy spanked the competition in the B class with one of their Tractor tugs.

As far as the swell behind the fleet - it's crazy! I can attest first hand to what happens when they go buy...as shortly after the Triton cut across our bow (see pic #4 below) I was drenched with salt-water by the giant wave that splashed over our bow.

-EG