PDA

View Full Version : An end to frustration !

gcarter
05-06-2006, 10:18 AM
The Mt Dora weekend wasn't a happy time for me. I had a oil filter issue w/ the new hydraulic steering on Friday, and then on Saturday the Alpha coupler spun. It wasn't that the rubber sheared in the middle of the molding somewhere, instead, the rubber to steel cover bond let go. This may have been the original (20 years old) but I don't know for sure. Also the shift interupter switch died so it was interesting maneuvering around the crowded Lakeside Inn dock.
Well I always, if possible, over do things (I'd have a Bravo drive if I could find one I could afford) so I replaced the old Alpha coupler w/ a Bravo (thanks again Scott). Then I had to find a flywheel cover w/ a large hole. This turned out to be more difficult than I thought it would be. I bought one on eBay and paid for it w/ PayPal. The seller sent an Alpha instead. He wouldn't admit his mistake, so I had to enter a claim against him through PayPal. This is a slow process. I'll probably get my money back but it might take a month.
I eventually found one locally and Thursday I cleaned and painted it. Yesterday I had meetings all day in Bradenton, so I didn't get it back on till this morning.
Here are a few pics of the new coupler, cover, and a shot of the front of the engine.
While I was at it I put in a new interupter switch ( did you guys know they now sell you a whole shift plate that cost $100.00?), and a new distributor cap. Now I think I have replaced everything on the engine/drive except the throttle/shifter cable running from the throttle control.

gcarter
05-06-2006, 12:28 PM
Well, I've accomplished something today, the engine is sitting in the boat.:biggrin: :smash:

smoothie
05-06-2006, 01:14 PM
Nice work carter:yes: on the engine everything is well organize right down to all the hose clamps being turn the same way, Nice!

Donzigo
05-06-2006, 03:33 PM
Always a pleasure to see your work, George.

Very nice.

Ed Donnelly
05-06-2006, 05:26 PM
George; I think Madpoodle stocks the shifter and cable.
You know if you have them,you will never need them:biggrin: ....Ed

MOP
05-06-2006, 06:49 PM
So what is the life expectancy of a Throttle Handle:jestera:

DonziJon
05-06-2006, 08:02 PM
If it ain't broke yet, don't fix it.:smash: John