PDA

View Full Version : Did I out smart myself this time?

Lineleader
05-05-2006, 04:40 PM
When the lower unit of my TRS outdrive was found to have a substantial crack in it many of you offered valid suggestions...thanks again.

I chose to purchase a used outdrive unit off an earlier model because not only did I get the whole outdrive, but also got everything from the Merc Trans II and back...through to the outdrive, including two of those pesky electric shift motors.

Everything is installed and working... that's the good news. I've just now noticed (duh) that the spline count on the prop shaft of the replacement is 19 vs. the "standard" 15 spline. The prop is stamped some monstrous "20-17" and looks like something hanging off the fantail of the Mighty Mo.

Question. How does this change things for me regarding prop selection. Initial searches suggest these 19 spline props are difficult to locate. Do you guys have any experience with them? Am I destined to run 25 MPH using this former fishing boat unit??

Please tell me it's NBD and where to look for a good replacement and suggested sizes considering the 19 spline requirement that will perform as we expect.

Many thanks ,

LL

mrfixxall
05-05-2006, 04:58 PM
sounds like a ssm drive and not a trs because they use a 19 spline shaft.....the bravo x drive have 19 spline shaft you may want to look into..

mrfixxall
05-05-2006, 05:44 PM
Didnt the TR have the 19 spline shaft??

All the ones i worked on had 15 spline..

Cuda
05-05-2006, 09:19 PM
My Kaama's have 19 spline.

MOP
05-05-2006, 09:31 PM
We had a house boat at the yard years back it TRS's with fat prop shafts don't remember spline count, I do remember it had 318 Chryslers with 2:5 Borgs.

MOP
05-05-2006, 09:46 PM
Maybe you need to look into swapping your lowers guts into it, a TRS Garu is needed:crossfing

MR MAGOO
05-05-2006, 11:57 PM
I'm sorry be the bearer of bad news but what you've got is an old TR drive. It wont work in this application. wrong gear ratio, too long of a lower case.

You need to find a TRS lower unit.

Lineleader
05-06-2006, 08:08 PM
It DOES have a longer lower case.

I think I'm going to be sick...........:cussball:

Doug L.
05-07-2006, 07:48 AM
Oh Magoo, you've done it again!!

MOP
05-07-2006, 10:07 AM
It DOES have a longer lower case.
I think I'm going to be sick...........:cussball:

I would take a shot a Ebay to get rid of what you have, it may just turn out to be a hard to find item that may trun a extra $ toward finding the right one.