PDA

View Full Version : 4.3 Mercruiser mods

chopperman69
05-05-2006, 03:35 PM
Do you guys have any power upgrade suggestions for a 4.3 Mercruiser in a Classic 16?

smokediver
05-05-2006, 04:37 PM
this subject has been discussed before . what year is the motor ? there are now camshafts available for the balance shaft engines . vortec heads need a little machine work if lift is going to be over .500 . edelbrock makes a good intake / carb combo that will give you around 4 mph . did that one ...

chopperman69
05-05-2006, 04:45 PM
Sorry, it's a '97.

Thanks

mrfixxall
05-05-2006, 04:54 PM
After you do all that work for the 4-5 mph gain you will want to go faster,,for a few extra bucks you may want to look into a 350.....gm makes a 330hp 350 for 2400.00 that i use for up grades and works out vary well.....let me know and ill give you all the specs that i do to make it work....

The Hedgehog
05-05-2006, 10:15 PM
Lots can be done. Buzilla is pretty well versed on the v-6. He has built some real hot stuff for auto applications. He is a great source on info

Search around we have worn this topic out. We are planning to Procharge the 4.3 in my father's 16 this fall. It will be a lightweight screamer. We have already converted the exhaust to through hull. We used IMCO Thumper manifolds. We have pics posted. They should be easy to find.

You could also built a hot N.A. engine with the V-6. It should be no problem to extract 250 hp from this engine. If you do some homework you can wring out a good bit more.

Yes, you probably could do a V-8 swap for the same price. That's been done a few times. We wanted to do something different. Plus I like the way the boat feels with the V-6.

Send me a pm and I will be happy to tell you what I know.

BUIZILLA
05-06-2006, 07:57 AM
hmmmm...

a supercharged V6 with an Alpha SS....... :D

JH

Rootsy
05-06-2006, 01:35 PM
hmmmm...
a supercharged V6 with an Alpha SS....... :D
JH

would be a seriously fun ride :)

MOP
05-06-2006, 06:57 PM
Double Hmmm a super charged and a Blackhawk, perfect combo as the 16 has plenty of bow lift!

The Hedgehog
05-07-2006, 09:06 AM
An Alpha SS would be great. A Blackhawk would be better. Unfortunately the boat has a Cobra. I am not worried about the drive holding up but I am worried about bow lift and shaft depth issues.

I will definately be going into a prop exchange program to get it figured out. Tabs will be a must have. We will probably play around with the nose cone concept as well.

I am trying to avoid changing my name to Luke Chinewalker!

chopperman69
05-07-2006, 10:19 PM
Sorry for posting a question that has been asked many times before. I'm new to the Classic 16, as well as the forum.

I actually called Vortech about a supercharger, and they recommended the small block Chevy kit for the carburated motor. They said many have done this to the V-6. Does Procharger make a kit specific to the V-6? Too bad Whipple doesn't have an intake for a V-6...

ZX, I'll be in touch...

Thanks guys!

The Hedgehog
05-08-2006, 07:47 AM
I talked to Buizilla. He is indeed in touch with some good parts. I will contact him again after this summer when the next phase starts.

I don't know about vortec. I have looked into the Procharger as I already have one on my 502. We will go with the small block kit. It should work fine since the engine is basically 3/4 a 350. I am sure that some issues will come up since they always do on fairly major engine mods.