PDA

View Full Version : Problem with gauges

sue
05-05-2006, 09:41 AM
All of the gauges on the dash worked properly for my first two times out. The third time I went out, two of the gauges were not working properly (trim & fuel,the two gauges that are both on the port side). When I first go out & the drive is all the way down, the gauge does not read ALL the way down. It reads that the drive is up a small amount. When I am running the boat & raise the drive, the gauge does go up but does not seem accurate. After running for awhile, all of sudden the gauge reads that the drive is ALL the way up & stays there. When I get in & turn the key off, all of the gauges go down except the trim still reads ALL the way up. Very strange. The fuel gauge reads full almost the whole time. (I should be at about 1/4 tank). Every now & then when I am out, the fuel gauge will change & read empty, 1/4, 3/4 etc & go back to full. I assume that this problem is covered by warranty but I hate to bring the to a Donzi dealer & wait to have it fixed. I am hoping that someone might have an idea of what is wrong & maybe it will be a quick fix. Thanks! Sue

Dr. Dan
05-05-2006, 09:48 AM
:spongebob Hurry Sell the boat....:beer:

Anonymous :banghead:

sue
05-05-2006, 10:03 AM
Dan, Not a chance!!!!!! I LOVE it!!!!!! I am starting to learn how to handle the boat. I have a long way to go, but I am loving the challenge. I finally got so I can run the boat at almost any speed & feel in control (on a flat calm day). I have actually been able to run the boat at top speed for a short period of time. Then it starts to chine hop & I slow down a bit to get control again. I am loving this boat. Sue

BUIZILLA
05-05-2006, 10:42 AM
loose ground wire

Carl C
05-05-2006, 11:21 AM
I wish MY fuel gauge would go back to full by itself.

Donzigo
05-05-2006, 12:03 PM
Sue,

If you are running a Merc outdrive, it has the trim indicator on the side of the outdrive. They seldom work for long, and are a constant source of trouble. If you want a good trim indicator, change this to a mechanical system.

The fuel gauges are usually not showing anything until the fuel is sometimes half gone. The reason is that the guage would not respond at the low amounts, if it started working when the float first started to move. I notice that until the tank is 50% of capacity, it starts to function.

Richard

DonziJon
05-05-2006, 03:54 PM
HI SUE: Gas guages in these boats have a mechanical sensor in the tank that takes a terrible beating. When I first got my Minx I went out one night around dark with what I thought was 3/4 tank. An hour later I was paddling toward shore. There were no other boats out there to get a tow from. I had a guy with me and we had two canoe paddles and a couple of beers. Luckily it was flat calm. These boats DON"T paddle worth a damm. Gas Guages are incredibly unreliable.

Now, whenever I see the gas guage start to "bob" off the Full peg on the guage, I start looking for gas or head back. I NEVER let the needle get down to 1/2. Once was enough.

In addition, I keep track of HOURS Run via the hour meter, all the time, with a little log book. My little 350 burns about 4 GPH overall the way I drive it and my tank holds 40 gallons..theoretically. So I know how much is left.

After a few tank fulls you can figure what YOUR "burn rate" is. I always fill up. Using this method, when I pull up to the gas dock, my calculated guess is usually within a gallon or two of what it takes to fill it back up. . Hope this advice saves you some paddling excercise. :lookaroun John

pmreed
05-05-2006, 04:28 PM
Sue,

Check the big Cannon connector for tightness. Jiggle it, tap it, press it home. My trim gauge had the same problem...bad connection at the connector.
As for the gas gauge, my 22C shows full until I'm down to about 1/4 tank; then it begins to move...rapidly. Unless you're within about 15 miles of home, it's time to look for a gas dock. Think of it this way: when the gauge starts moving; you're on reserve:) .

Phil

Carl C
05-05-2006, 08:40 PM
Yup, I can vouch for the gas gauge opperation. When it comes off full I have about 15 gallons. It also goes to empty on turns and then goes back up; so yours may be normal. My trim gauge works well. the one quarter up line is roughly level and a bit above the halfway line is really trimmed up for top speed.

Air 22
05-05-2006, 09:50 PM
loose ground wire
YEP....OR POSSIBLY A FAULTY SENDING UNIT THAT WOULD B COVERED BY THE WARRANTY. HOPEFULLY A QUICK FIX EITHER WAY:beer: :p :biggrin.:

John W
05-06-2006, 09:15 AM
Sue,
My o4 classic had thre same problems. There is a big wiring connector on the enginethat plugs into the wiring harness that runs forward to the guages and such. That may be loose. As far as the fuel gauge, when it moves look for fuel. the placement of the hatch covering the tank and the fuel gauge, makes it nearly impossible to put a new style sending unit in, .
JW

sue
05-07-2006, 09:14 AM
I wish MY fuel gauge would go back to full by itself.
Thanks Carl, I knew I got lucky when I found this boat. I had no idea that I would never have to spend any money on gas. Think of how much money I will save. Hey, the gauge reads full, so I guess I have plenty of gas??????????
Donzijon, I am thinking of going with the mechanical type (trim), but I have to wait until the yard slows down. So in the mean time the guys is the yard are going for the quick fix. Gas gauge-I would not mind getting some excersize, but I have paddled to many boats & I would not have much of a chance of paddling a 22.
Thanks for all of the advice. The boat yards that I own do not work on any type of performance boats. From what some of you have said, I realize that I should not spend any time trying to fix the gas gauge. In reference to the trim gauge, you have given me many ideas of what to check to fix it. I have allot to learn. I am not a mechanic, but I need to learn some simple basic things that will go wrong with this type of boat that I could fix so I am not constantly calling the mechanic at the yard to come over to fix a loose wire.

DonziJon
05-07-2006, 12:01 PM
One of the nice things about owning a Donzi is....there's always something to do: LET'S GO GET GAS. :wavey: John

Air 22
05-07-2006, 01:37 PM
B.O.A.T Bring Over Another Thousand$$ :banghead: :biggrin.: