PDA

View Full Version : I removed my forward storage bin today.

Carl C
05-02-2006, 05:46 PM
There have been threads about this and most seem to agree that the underbow area of a 22 Classic is poorly utilized. So, screw it, I'm opening up the bow of my boat. This was not a hasty decision; I've been thinking about this since I bought the boat a year ago. I removed the forward storage bin and cut down the floorboard to the level of the center section. I bought edge trim at Boater's World that matches the existing trim around the dash.
I will have the front carpet edge sewn and will install snaps. Next I will glass in a 1/2 inch plywood floor and will carpet the underbow area for lots of stowage space and a place to crawl into if I need to. I removed 43 pounds from the front of my boat today. Also this still gives me floorboards and I've noticed that my feet were always at the bottom of the floorboard anyway. I will post up-dates as I make progress. I know there will be some purists out there who will say that a killed the value of the boat but I don't think so and it isn't for sale anyway!

joseph m. hahnl
05-02-2006, 05:59 PM
Don't Worry Carl : we'll give it to yah for just havin the Nads to cut your boat apart.:toiletpap :wink:

joe

RickSE
05-02-2006, 06:12 PM
That's enough for me. I'll probably just remove the forward box section though and leave the foot rests in tact. I already have carpet up front but no floor.

Good job Carl and good idea on the edge trim.

Carl C
05-02-2006, 06:17 PM
One more pic.........

The Hedgehog
05-02-2006, 07:08 PM
Looks a little tight for a sleeping space but it does look like you have uncovered some more room. I can appreciate someone that has the guts to do that! My hat is off to you. Customizing is cool.

Keep the pics coming. Do you have any measurements of the headroom down there?

I would stop short of doing an open bow!:shocking:

Dr. Dan
05-02-2006, 07:24 PM
:spongebob Carl, Couple questions:

What Tool(s) did ya use to cut it?

What's the plan for the Fuel Line?

What's the plan for the the Roof or under Deck?

How are you attaching the Ply to the hull?

What do you anticipate the Net Gain or Loss in Weight, 1/2" Ply is not light?

Doc :cool:

Mr X
05-02-2006, 07:28 PM
How are you going to stay in the boat with nothing to brace your feet on?

blackhawk
05-02-2006, 07:56 PM
I thought about this after I crawled up front to mount a sub in my blackhawk. I could not believe how much space they wasted! :rolleyes:

I have to agree on the footrests though. Do you plan on making or buying some footrests? I used mine all the time to brace myself when running hard in the slop.

Carl C
05-02-2006, 08:11 PM
Doc, I cut it with a hand jig-saw and a coping saw but the floorboard turned out to be 1 inch thick cored glass so I had to cut away the inner edge of glass and coring to make a lip for the edging. I sealed the top with "Bondo-glass". That was a couple hours work I didn't expect. I'll probably just make a hole in the floor for the fuel lines and tie them over a little. I'll paint the underdeck white and install a light like the one in the engine compartment. I'll glass the floor in but not sure how yet. I can only now get in there. It'll be a little less then one sheet plywood. I'll keep track of the weight I put in but I already took out 43 pounds.

Mr X, I still have floorboards....................

Mr X
05-02-2006, 08:16 PM
Very nice!!! I could not see it that way in the other pics...

Hmmmmmm...........now where did I leave that sawsall? :biggrin:

blackhawk
05-02-2006, 08:31 PM
I didn't see that either. Very nice. Great job!!!

BUIZILLA
05-02-2006, 08:39 PM
I predict a few more doing this......

it just makes perfect sense to me....

:shades:

pmreed
05-02-2006, 08:45 PM
Good job. Ever since I saw Paul's 22 where he had this done, I've thought it was the right thing to do.

Phil

yeller
05-02-2006, 09:56 PM
Way to go Carl! I agree with others...it does take a lot of guts to cut up a boat, especially a near new one. I've been planning on removing mine...long before I even bought one. :p
I like the way you left some of the footrest in place. I hope to remove the entire thing in one piece though. Then I'll make up some type of removeable foot rests.
I thought of inserting an elbow in the fuel line (at the tank) so it'll lay down better. I admit, this may case problems during fill up if the fuel starts to back up the line because of the 90.

Carl C
05-03-2006, 09:27 AM
Rootst, I'm hoping to add no more than about 20 pounds from stock. I will use your tip to seal the underside of the floor. The top will be covered with one layer of fiberglass cloth and then carpeted. Boater's World has a service where they send you a template that you cut and return and they send you your custom cut and edged carpet. I don't know if I'll use snaps or glue it down. I will have the front carpet edge sewn. I don't think there's much I can do about the fuel hoses except work around them. This is mainly for stowage anyway; I'm not making a cuddy. Yeller, you will not get the whole bin section out without separating the boat halves; that's why mine is cut in 2 pieces in post #4. We're getting into the 70s today and sunny so the boat is back together now and I'll be boating today.:wink:

CHACHI
05-03-2006, 11:12 AM
Rootst, I'm hoping to add no more than about 20 pounds from stock. I will use your tip to seal the underside of the floor. The top will be covered with one layer of fiberglass cloth and then carpeted. Boater's World has a service where they send you a template that you cut and return and they send you your custom cut and edged carpet. I don't know if I'll use snaps or glue it down. I will have the front carpet edge sewn. I don't think there's much I can do about the fuel hoses except work around them. This is mainly for stowage anyway; I'm not making a cuddy. Yeller, you will not get the whole bin section out without separating the boat halves; that's why mine is cut in 2 pieces in post #4. We're getting into the 70s today and sunny so the boat is back together now and I'll be boating today.:wink:Carl, hats off to you, you got sack. It looks good. As far as the carpet, ship the pattern to Bob at Bilt-Rite. he can do up one of his 60 MPH carpets with no snaps, besides he is a small business man, not a corporate giant like Boaters World. Now if I only can get the guts up.......Ken

boatnut
05-03-2006, 11:33 AM
Just for everyones information, I had a 1982 22 (pics have been posted on prior threads) where this mod was done by Donzi prior to delivery of the boat to the original owner (the guy I bought the boat from ordered this custom mod). His goal was to get a carpeted area to allow two people to sleep (or ?) under the deck on camping trips in addition to the obvious storage goals. The sides of the foot rests were left in tact, and the center opening was enlarged providing access to a large carpeted platform instead of to the std storage bin/ski locker. In my opinion, after using the boat for many years, not much was improved over the standard design. It is wasted space as now provided, and it remains mostly wasted space after this type of mod. The reason being the access is too limited, it is just too difficult to get "things" or bodies between the seats and under the dash to make this area useful for anything other than occassional access behind the dash etc. To make this mod useful would require modifying the dash (or deck) design (heaven forbid) to improve the access. I understand the motivation and wish everyone the best but I think you either have to improve the access or just enjoy the asthetics of the long deck and live with the wasted storage space. Ed

RickSE
05-03-2006, 12:00 PM
Every time we go out our boat is packed to the deck up front with camping equipment. The so called "ski locker", which is not even long enough for skis on the 22 :bonk: , is a pain in the ass to get around. Why in the heck is the 22 ski locker shorter then the one in the 18?

I'll probably make my floor removable and less permanent. Since most of the front area is already filled in with foam, I'd like to just top it off with foam, make it level and drop in a padded floor. Nothing permanent.

MOP
05-03-2006, 12:16 PM
I have oftten thought of cutting the well out and the floor lip between the foot rest, but just putting a box like affair with a 3-4" lip around it to contain the stuff thrown up there. I have to agree with boatnut it is a pain shimmying up into the bow.

Morgan's Cloud
05-03-2006, 01:18 PM
... I'm not making a cuddy.
Har Har ... thats what you're saying now :wink:
The first time your out rafted up with all the other 'classics' and a freak down pour moves in, you're going to say to the others getting a bust a$$.... "Oh pahdon me... we're going down below untill this passes over !" :D

gcarter
05-03-2006, 01:43 PM
Carl, I'd give the floor idea some thought first.
If it were me (which it isn't) I'd glass in a floor supprt system of some sort. Then screw the floor to that system.
Sometime in the future, you or someone will have a need to remove the floor to do some sort of maintenance, and cutting out a glassed in floor is no fun.

joseph m. hahnl
05-04-2006, 06:39 PM
it is just too difficult to get "things" or bodies between the seats and under the dash to make this area useful for anything other than occassional access behind the dash etc. To make this mod useful would require modifying the dash (or deck) design (heaven forbid) to improve the access. Ed

Yes: what a drag it would be to fish around for water ski's as they move all around under there. Carl you don't ski right? You definetly need to be thin to get in and out easily. the ultimate mod for accessabilty would be if passenger seat pulled up and away with a scissor type bracket.I'll stick with my locker.
I keep all the soft stuff like the tube and the life jackets on the sides. that is what i fear most about the whole thing is the life jackets are really out of easy reach.

But if it's a bed you want then don't even think of that space for any thing.
you put in a fold down bench seat that meets the rear seat ,and walla a queen size bed under the stars.

joe

Carl C
05-04-2006, 07:54 PM
I got the floor in today. Since the front already has a plywood floor I only had to do the back area. I put in 3 supports across the gas tank and glsassed in the plywood. Next I will do a layer of fiberglass cloth aver the whole floor and then order the carpet which will go a little up the sides to in order to cushion stuff sliding around. Now the cool part; the weight of the wood put in and a gallon of resin and the cloth totaled 35 pounds. This means I'm going to come in lighter then stock!!!! That's huge; I didn't want to add weight. BTW if anyone needs to replace the gas tank in this model boat you're going to have to cut the boat apart anyway so glassing it over doesn't matter. I can still get to the hose clamps.

SideshowRob
05-04-2006, 09:47 PM
Just looked at your most recent pics Carl.
1. It looks great... I can't believe all that room, you should just glass the floor and put in a creeper, then you can just rollin and out :wink:
2. Has the Smithsonian called looking for your Vacuum. :spit: :biggrin.: :biggrin.:
I LIKE IT!!!

RickSE
05-05-2006, 09:59 AM
Yes: what a drag it would be to fish around for water ski's as they move all around under there.

Joe, water-skis do not fit in the 22's storage bin. The damn bin is 12-18" too short so the skis hang out the back, slide out on acceleration and bang around on the back lip of the bin. My skis always end up on the side anyways under the deck. About the only thing I ever have in the bin is a small cooler. I complained about the short bin on my customer survey to Donzi.

Nice job Carl.

Carl C
05-05-2006, 10:10 AM
I complained about the short bin on my customer survey to Donzi.
:wink: I did too! Due to the degree that I enlarged the opening it is not very difficult to crawl in there.:wrench:

Moody Blu'
05-07-2006, 04:41 PM
i take it doing this mod on any pre 1980 models may be frowned upon as to keep the originality?

Carl C
05-07-2006, 05:55 PM
i take it doing this mod on any pre 1980 models may be frowned upon as to keep the originality? Opinions will vary on that. I've seen a lot of Classics on this forum that have been modified but are still desirable and there is mention of at least one that was custom modified at the factory. Mine will look very factory when I'm done (I hope). Anyway, I say if the mod is done right then do it. I'll finish glassing the floor tomorrow and have ordered the carpet template. You guys who are anti-this have been mostly quiet. I wouldn't mind hearing all the viewpoints. Remember, I've proven that weight is not an issue.:spongebob

RedDog
05-08-2006, 08:24 AM
Opinions will vary on that. I've seen a lot of Classics on this forum that have been modified but are still desirable and there is mention of at least one that was custom modified at the factory. Mine will look very factory when I'm done (I hope). Anyway, I say if the mod is done right then do it. I'll finish glassing the floor tomorrow and have ordered the carpet template. You guys who are anti-this have been mostly quiet. I wouldn't mind hearing all the viewpoints. Remember, I've proven that weight is not an issue.:spongebob

I'm certainly not anti - I would just like to see this mod first hand. It appears it works a little better for your configuration due to you having a side fuel fill vs a center fuel fill.

Pismo
05-08-2006, 08:56 AM
In my 96 the first thing I would have to do is change to a side fill, which would be nicer anyhow. Drill a second hole, get a new fill, then seal off the old one but leave it in place so it would look the same outside just get rid of the hoses.

Carl C
05-10-2006, 03:00 PM
OK, I'm finally done with the messy part. The floor is glassed in and the area is cleaned up and ready for carpet. First I will paint the top and sides white and install a ceiling light. I had to put in a rear bulkhead of 3/8 plywood and used 1 1/2 lbs. of Bondo-glass to level the floor so add 2 more lbs. to the total weight in. Now I am still 5 lbs. under stock but the cockpit carpet weighs a hefty 17 lbs. so if the front carpet is similar then I will end up with a net weight gain of about 11 lbs. I wanted zero weight gain but 11 lbs. is still within my original goal of adding no more than 20 lbs. The next pics will be of the light and paint job. The carpet will take several weeks to complete. This area is surprisingly big and a couple could sleep in there if need be. Just take out the gear and throw in some blankets and pillows.:boat:

Bob
05-10-2006, 03:17 PM
Looks good! My only advice is not to use glue-down carpet. I can't tell you whata PITA it was to remove from the ski locker in my Hornet.:splat:

Carl C
05-10-2006, 03:24 PM
Looks good! My only advice is not to use glue-down carpet. I can't tell you whata PITA it was to remove from the ski locker in my Hornet.:splat: I will not use glue. If the non skid carpet doesn't stay in place by itself then I will install snaps.

RedDog
05-10-2006, 07:11 PM
why the rear bulkhead - to seal off a gap?

Is the deck/floor bonded to the hull insides?

lookin' good

Carl C
05-11-2006, 11:55 AM
why the rear bulkhead - to seal off a gap?
Is the deck/floor bonded to the hull insides?
lookin' good The small bulkhead is to keep small items from sliding into the sides of the boat and for cosmetics. I will glue a strip of carpet to it. The floor is bonded to the hull sides with a layer of 'glass cloth, filled and leveled with Bondo-glass, another layer of 'glass cloth and a final coat of resin to smooth everything out. The carpet will extend up the sides about 6 inches.:lifeprese

Dr. Dan
05-14-2006, 05:46 AM
:wavey: Carl, I think it's coming along nicely...I am not sure what type or where you are getting the carpet from...but I would recommend that you design the Bottom section (Flat Bed Area) to be removable. A few well placed Snaps are not going to cosmetically effect anything in a modification of this scale. The edges of the Carpet could be bound at any local Flooring Retailer or they could recommend a Vendor, but there are normally a few shops that do this work on site in any City.

I also might consider some "Frothed Urethane or Closed Cell Cushion" to lay down to cushion the Carpet from the base Structure.

I am in the Flooring Industry ...and when I replaced my Cock pit carpet I used our Commercial Nylon Cut Pile, I used the same Carpet pattern template to make a Cushion for under the Carpet, but shorted the measurements a few inches in the parameter and I cut "High Densisty Anti-Microbial Cushion" to go underneath. I keep it loose laid, the Carpet Snaps hold everything in place...and it feels pretty good on the feet while boating...

My Snaps still work and it cushions the blows and is easy on the knees... when I am working under the dash, etc. The weight gain is inconsequential, probably less than 3 lbs. for the area involved, but what a night and day difference if you are the one laying on it.:bonk:

Looks good, can't wait to see the finished project...

Just a suggestion...

Doc of Flooring Specialties :D

Carl C
05-14-2006, 08:05 AM
Thanks for the input, Doc. This is the service I'll be using. This is top shelf boat carpet and I don't think I want to put anything under it. They sent a template and sample kit. The first pic is of all the samples, the second is of the closest match and black on top of my cockpit carpet. Should I go with the gray or put black up there? I need to decide by next week. It has a pretty effective non slip backing and I may not need snaps but if I do then I'll buy a snap kit and put in a few stainless snaps. Check out the brochure; maybe a Donzi logo would look good in the center of the carpet. I need input. Black or gray? Logo or no? What kind of logo? Thanks.

BUIZILLA
05-14-2006, 08:26 AM
3rd row..

4th from the left..

gcarter
05-14-2006, 08:28 AM
When I bought my Minx carpet from Bob at BiltRite, he furnished both snaps and double side velcro tape. I chose the tape, and have not been sorry for it. It works great.

Dr. Dan
05-14-2006, 11:28 AM
:smash: Cool, looks like it should all do the Trick...I agree with Jim, a Grey is a good choice...Black is great...but it shows absolutely everything....Lint Wise. The Lighter the Color the More Spacious it will make it...the Darker the more Closed in... granted its a Sardine Can anyway...but I am just conveying what happens with the Eyes and Perception ...rather than specific Colors!

I would select a Grey! :spongebob

Doc :bighug:

yeller
05-14-2006, 01:41 PM
I'd match as close as possible to the carpet you currently have in the boat. I think that'll make for a cleaner, more factory look to the project.
It doesn't look like you're considering it, but just in case, DO NOT use the the carpet in the bottom row. Stuff will snag on that carpet and it'll pull a stand out the full length of the carpet.

Carl C
05-14-2006, 06:33 PM
3rd row..
4th from the left.. That one is brown, third in pic. I think I will use the closest match (left) and get "Donzi" embroidered or inlayed across it. The carpet will be gray and the lettering white (or maybe black). Anyway that's what I'm thinking now.

BUIZILLA
05-14-2006, 07:25 PM
3rd row..
4th from the left..
looks meduim gray to me.... :umbrella:

Carl C
05-14-2006, 08:15 PM
looks meduim gray to me.... :umbrella: Yup, it's the camera and lighting.

Carl C
05-17-2006, 05:46 PM
The "cuddy" is now painted, dome light is installed and I installed a fan (since a hatch is out of the question!). Now I must work on designing the carpet and get it ordered and then I will be done.:yippie:

gold-n-rod
05-17-2006, 06:50 PM
Carl: Are you going to make a "tube" of carpet to hide the fuel hoses? What about the underside of the foredeck? Some nice carpet would look good up there too! That you could glue. If not carpet, how about the headliner stuff they put in cuddy cabins?

Lookin' good!

:wavey:

Carl C
05-17-2006, 07:01 PM
Thanks, Randy. I don't know what to do with the hoses. They should be covered with something but this carpet is pretty stiff with the rubber backing. I won't carpet the top because it would add uneeded weight. I painted it white. It was unfinished from the factory.:shades:

Ed Donnelly
05-17-2006, 07:34 PM
Carl; Walmart stock self adhesive channeling (for home speaker wiring).
I think it is called Wiremold. It will hide all your wiring for your lights and fan.....Ed

Carl C
05-17-2006, 08:22 PM
I think it is called Wiremold. It will hide all your wiring for your lights and fan.....Ed I'll be at Home Depot tomorrow getting some elec. stuff for the house; I'll check it out.:garfield:Oops, you said Wal-mart, well maybe Home Depot will have it too. If I had "painted" the sides and ceiling with resin first it would have left a smoother surface for the paint but it still looks good now. Kind of like a textured ceiling!

yeller
05-17-2006, 08:52 PM
Looks good Carl. I'm really liking your idea of leaving the footrest section. As far as the hoses go, you can try an auto stereo (installation) shop. The carpeting that they use to cover sub boxes has no backing and will stretch somewhat. You should be able to get a scrap piece for free. The easiest way to attach it would be to sew a length of velcro on it and just wrap it around the hoses. Or you could do the same thing with a piece of vinyl.

RedDog
05-17-2006, 09:28 PM
The "cuddy" is now painted, dome light is installed and I installed a fan (since a hatch is out of the question!). Now I must work on designing the carpet and get it ordered and then I will be done.:yippie:

so is that a 12V DC fan? I haven't seen one before

Ed Donnelly
05-18-2006, 01:39 AM
Carl; Home Depot carries it. I just said Wal Mart because I didn't know if you had Home Depot,Rona,Lansing,etc. .........Ed

Carl C
05-18-2006, 05:49 AM
so is that a 12V DC fan? I haven't seen one before
Yeah, 12volt and it really cranks and has two speeds. It's made for cars and I'll see if it can handle a pounding!:uzi:

Carl C
05-18-2006, 11:16 AM
I think it is called Wiremold. It will hide all your wiring for your lights and fan.....Ed Got it! I don't think the sticky tape will last in a Donzi environment so I will drill holes and screw it in, then tuck the wires in.

Ed Donnelly
05-18-2006, 09:08 PM
Carl; You would be amazed how well it holds. Press and hold for around 20 sec. and a temp at least 70. I tried to take a small section off the day after I installed it,and,it took the paint off the wall.............Ed

Carl C
05-20-2006, 08:04 AM
Hmmmm......I wonder why someone gave me anonymous negative feedback on this May 17? I've encouraged feedback here, both positive and negative. Oh well, I would have at least appreciated a reason in the comment box.:confused:

MOP
05-20-2006, 08:24 AM
Carl I would give the sticky stuff a shot, when I was doing a lot of new boat rigging our shop used little square sticky pads to wire tie to and had very good luck. Look at all the stuff that stays stuck in the shower, my brother has a small water proof stereo that has been there for a couple of years. The Tunes died but it is still stuck to the wall:rlol: :rlol:

Ed Donnelly
05-20-2006, 12:23 PM
Carl; I think someone was afraid you would DOUBLE your rep power:hyper: ..Ed

yeller
05-20-2006, 01:06 PM
Don't worry about the rep power Carl. I lost my 2 points and don't even know why. Thought I was always being courteous. Nice thing about being at zero is there's only one way but up. :jestera:

How long till you get the carpet in. Patiently waiting. :)

Carl C
05-20-2006, 05:39 PM
Mop, I still have one stuck to my shower! I will try the sticky tape. Yeller, you are wrong. I hear there is a negative scale but no-one has been there yet! The carpet has been ordered and it should be the bomb. It will extend up the sides about a foot and will have the Donzi logo embroidered across it in yellow to match the boat. It will be the same color as the cockpit rug. It should arrive within three weeks.:hyper:Her's a pic of the plastic carpet template laying in place. There will be two small pieces for the front triangle and the rear "bulkhead". All will snap in place. Where can I buy a snap kit and stainless snaps?

yeller
05-20-2006, 07:11 PM
Carl, any marine store should have stainless snaps. Don't know about the tool though. I'm assuming you're going to screw the snap studs to the wood and just let the carpet (that is going up the hull sides) to lay as is? Is the carpet your getting one solid piece i.e.: no seams? Due to the curve (where the sides meet the floor), the sides may not lay flat. They may be very wavy. If that is the case, a solution is to use velcro. Glue the one side to the hull, and have an upholstery shop sew the other side to the carpet. You'll still need the snaps to hold the floor flat. Install those first then glue in the velcro exactly where you need it.

I have to say, that when I do mine, I believe I'll end up copying all your ideas. Leaving the footrests, the Donzi emblem, the light, the fan...all excellent ideas. It should look awesome!

Carl C
05-20-2006, 08:13 PM
Yes, the sides will lay flat hopefully or I was also thinking about a little velcro but hope I don't need it. The snaps will go in the floor and ends. I don't want to risk drilling into the hull even though it is 1/2 inch thick. Maybe I can figure out a way to attach the snaps to something and 'glass them to the hull. The carpet has a slot to clear the hoses just like the cockpit carpet goes around the seats. The hoses are a necessary evil. The only solution would be to lay them down and build a raised floor which would add a TON of weight. I'll find something to wrap around them. BTW the seat lifts off the pedestal when the swivel clamp is loosened and you can just lay the seat on the rear seat to make access really easy. :spongebob

MOP
05-20-2006, 08:47 PM
Carl do a net search for snap install kits, there is a very inexpensive that the dies fit over the jaws of a set of Vise Grips. It works very well for cheap $$.

Phil

MOP
05-20-2006, 08:49 PM
Carl on another note the lifting eyes leak around the shank, try to get a decent seal around it to keep from water staining the carpet.

Phil

Carl C
05-20-2006, 09:03 PM
Carl on another note the lifting eyes leak around the shank, try to get a decent seal around it to keep from water staining the carpet.
Phil Now that's something I didn't think about but I was thinking about making the eye nonfunctional to remove the weight of the hardware up there. I'll save the parts of course so that I can put it back right. If I do that then I will seal it with 4200 (non-permanent!) sealer. I'll look for a cheap snap tool too. Thanks.:chilipepp

MOP
05-20-2006, 09:33 PM
The one at the bottom is just the dies near $50, maybe you can go to a local canvas shop and get it done. I have that kit for over 30 years still Ok after many snaps!

http://www.kingrichardco.com/grommet_and_snap_kits.htm

Carl C
05-22-2006, 07:34 PM
A few more pics. Now I wait 2 or 3 weeks for the carpet. The wiremold worked good. I put an anchor box in the engine compartment to keep that weight off the bow. (I didn't flash the one pic and it looks yellow)

gold-n-rod
05-22-2006, 07:48 PM
A few more pics. Now I wait 2 or 3 weeks for the carpet. The wiremold worked good. I put an anchor box in the engine compartment to keep that weight off the bow. (I didn't flash the one pic and it looks yellow)

Keeps looking better and better, Carl. I wish I had room for an anchor box under my hatch. I don't even have room for a cigar box.

I like the suggestion to get speaker box carpet to conceal your fuel hoses. You could stitch some velcro into the edges and wrap it with a tube of carpet. I think that would look great! And it wouldn't weigh much at all.

Keep up the good work.

onesubdrvr
05-22-2006, 08:22 PM
Carl,

I've been following the progress (best I can with ole' fasion dial-up), and must say it looks great!! Nice idea, nice work, keep it up!

Wayne

Ranman
05-22-2006, 10:00 PM
Been there and done that with the el-cheap-o snap tool. It ruined more snaps than it did correctly. If you wanna go pro, you need one of these (or you need to know someone close by with a set-up like this :biggrin.: )

PS - This is what Bob @ Bilt-Rite uses to do snaps.

yeller
05-23-2006, 12:15 AM
Carl...Ranman got me thinking. You won't be able to use the vise grip type. You won't be able to get much more than an inch of carpet in the jaws. :alligator You"ll never reach the snaps with that type. It's not worth buying the one in Ranmans pic unless you use it daily. Best thing to do is screw your studs in place and then take the boat to a shop to get the caps installed. You could lay the carpet down and mark the location with chalk, then take the carpet to a shop, but that's risky. It's best to install the snaps one at a time with the carpet in place because a 1/4" error will leave an ugly bulge.

Carl C
05-23-2006, 08:19 AM
Ranman's tool will work on the small end pieces but not the main carpet. I have a couple weeks to look into snap tools. It's finally warming up again and I'm getting the boat in the water today. I appreciate the positive input. I'm really glad I finally got the nerve to do these mods and I'm hoping the carpet is the "piece de resistance"! I'm hoping to find some kind of split tubing to cover the fuel hoses; I need to explore Home Depot some more. If not I like the speaker box carpet idea.:wrench:

Ed Donnelly
05-23-2006, 09:29 AM
Carl; I can see Donzi offering this EXTRA STORAGE as an option in the near future.. If it is really unique,they are all over it...........Ed

Carl C
05-23-2006, 10:36 AM
Carl; I can see Donzi offering this EXTRA STORAGE as an option in the near future.. If it is really unique,they are all over it...........Ed I'll e-mail 'em some pics when it's done! There was mention early in this thread about one that came opened up from the factory.

Pismo
06-09-2006, 02:27 PM
Any more progress or still waiting for rug, etc? Great thread, I have been climbing around up front looking it over. There is not much to that bin.

Carl C
06-18-2006, 08:00 AM
Any more progress or still waiting for rug, etc? Great thread, I have been climbing around up front looking it over. There is not much to that bin. Still waiting on the carpet. They told me it would be 3 weeks after the final OK. It should arrive next week.:crossfing

Carl C
06-21-2006, 06:09 PM
My heart sank again today as the UPS truck slowed and stopped...........next door :( . But an hour later up pulls the Fed-Ex truck with this :) ......... I also bought the snap kits. It'll take a couple weeks to get the carpet in and tie up the loose ends and then I'll post the final pics:crossfing . Meanwhile I have the final weight #s. The carpet cost $416 @ www.matworks.com

Total pounds removed: 43

Pounds added:
Wood and 'glass 35
Filler 2
Light, fan, hardware 3
Carpet 21

Total weight in: 61 pounds
Net weight gain: 18 pounds :) :) :) :) :)

Carl C
06-21-2006, 07:11 PM
I couldn't wait :wink: ! It's not done yet though.:dolphin:

onesubdrvr
06-21-2006, 07:36 PM
Looks really nice Carl,

Good Job!!

Wayne

gold-n-rod
06-21-2006, 08:51 PM
now if those damned hoses werent there it'd be even that much better.

They don't look like they're doing nuttin'. I say just pull 'em right on out of there. :eek!: :bonk: :smash: :shocking:

:wavey:

Carl C
06-22-2006, 02:11 PM
Carl,
i have to say it came out pretty well eh. now if those damned hoses werent there it'd be even that much better.
git-r-done
JR Thanks Jamie and everyone. Yeah, the hoses suck but what can ya do? I got chased off the lake today by thunderstorms so I did a little work on the boat. I got the carpet ends snapped in place. I don't think the main carpet will need any snaps; The rubber backing is very sticky and it's not going anywhere. I wrapped the hoses with speaker box carpet as someone suggested. I'll replace the zip-ties with black ones. Just a couple more details to tend to and I'll post pics of how much stuff, and people, can fit in there.

LKSD
06-23-2006, 08:02 AM
Thanks Jamie and everyone. Yeah, the hoses suck but what can ya do? I got chased off the lake today by thunderstorms so I did a little work on the boat. I got the carpet ends snapped in place. I don't think the main carpet will need any snaps; The rubber backing is very sticky and it's not going anywhere. I wrapped the hoses with speaker box carpet as someone suggested. I'll replace the zip-ties with black ones. Just a couple more details to tend to and I'll post pics of how much stuff, and people, can fit in there.

Carl Nice work!!! I just checked the thread today for the first time.. We too were wondering about doing that.. You did a very very nice job... Speaking of Why dont you move to PA & work in our custom shop?? just kidding.. :D .. But seriously nice jod on your modification.. I like your attention to detail, it looks great.. :) Jamie / Lakeside :boat:

Pismo
06-23-2006, 07:38 PM
It looks fantastic and is a great use of wasted space and the 22 should come from the factory as yours. The only tiny improvement may be to reroute the vent hose and ground wire. They do not need to be straight and shortest like the large fill pipe, they could lay down flat and be routed more out of the way. May affect your gas filling speed but thats ok. Then you would only have the large fill hose to deal with. This is a very minor improvement idea but may be nice. I don't know if I would even bother it looks so nice as is. My thinking is the only downside to this at all is the tank hoses and I am thinking how to absolutely minimize their impact.

Carl C
06-23-2006, 09:30 PM
Thanks Jamie @ Lakeside. Pismo, I couldnt find any way to get rid of the hoses except to lay them down and build a raised floor. I didn't want to add that much weight. They are right next to the stringer so of course you can't cut through that. Also the fill hose is steel reinforced so you would need to get a hose with a 90 deg. angle built in to lay them down and they would still come through the floor.:boggled:

Pismo
06-25-2006, 07:54 AM
Yes, I would not move the fill hose, just the vent hose and ground wire. Minor detail tho.

Carl C
06-30-2006, 07:38 AM
:) This project is now finished. I had the cockpit carpet edged and put four snaps across the top. Here are some final pics. One shows the gap at the aft "bulkhead". The floor angles slightly back on the water so this area is self bailing if a cooler spills or whatever. One pic shows my "cuddyhole" with: cooler, duffel bag, ski, ski rope, Plastic tote for electronics etc., boarding ladder, towels, 4 life vests, 1 cushion, box of CDs, fire ext., paddle, cockpit cover and pole, and lots of room to spare! by simply lifting a seat off, access is a snap. 1 pic shows the sloppy wiring under the gunwale where you are not supposed to see it!:frown: There is yet another thread running about the poorly thought out stowage on the Classics ("Some thoughts about Classic boating"):wink: I solved my problem:yes: White Lake and Lake Michigan look out - here I come!:hyper: :boat:

LKSD
06-30-2006, 10:04 AM
Carl.. Nice work it looks very good! :) Jamie

Ghost
10-31-2010, 11:13 AM
Carl, maybe wrap the hoses up with some material that looks like a palm tree, and put some fake palm fronds on the top. Won't change the room in there, but will turn it into a tropical retreat...:wink: