PDA

View Full Version : Jacksonville bound???

McGary911
05-01-2006, 10:32 AM
Well, I just heard through the grapevine at work, that my job may be moving to Jacksonville. I'm not sure I would move, but figured that this is a good place to start my homework. My office would be here:

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?formtype=address&addtohistory=&address=4803%20Deer%20Lake%20Dr%20W&city=Jacksonville&state=FL&zipcode=&country=US&geodiff=1

My company will have relocation teams for us, but I can't utilize them yet, because I'm not supposed to know about this. I would be officially informed in June or July.

I guess I have about a billion questions. A bit overwhelmed right now, i gotta say....

I'm single with no kids, so schools aren't super important, but i realize that good schools are good for entire neighborhoods, not just people with kids.

Could I possibly afford a place on the water? I would probably be in a position to spend 4-500,000 on a house. Anyone know a local realtor? Website? I've heard that Ponte Vedra is pretty nice. From what I've been told, my office isn't in the city of Jx, but kind of on the outskirts.

What's kind of weather would I have in the winter? how long is the boating season?

Where would i be boating? looks like the St John's to me.

Any areas i shold avoid?

If I got a place on the water by some chance, can i keep my boat on a lift? (that would be great!).

From what I've read, the cost of living would be around 20% less than I'm used to here in NJ. Does that sound about right?

I'm sure I'll have more questions once my head stops spinning, but these are some things on my mind right now........Thanks in advance for any info....

gcarter
05-01-2006, 11:22 AM
Congrats on the upcoming move.
You need to speak with Mr. Mark Lazlo (Last Tango) as that's where he lives.
River boating is good and pretty much all year.
Gets kinda hot in the summer. A few cold days in the winter.

pmreed
05-01-2006, 03:10 PM
ChromeGorilla is another source. The St. Johns and the Waterway were his stomping grounds for a couple of years.

Phil

Cuda
05-01-2006, 05:33 PM
I did a bit of driving around last week, just south of Orange Park, and I couldn't believe all the waterways you can travel. I don't think you would want to live in that area, because then you'd have to cross the Buckman Bridge twice a day, and the traffic there sucks! It gets cold enough in the winter that you won't want to be on a boat a few weeks, but mostly good. You can boat on the St John's from the mouth, to about 200 miles south. Last Tango will be your best source of information.

ChromeGorilla
05-01-2006, 05:38 PM
I'm so jealous. I wish my company "had" to move me their. Your work location is just off of Southside Blvd. You would actually be working a little bit up the road from Last Tango. For 4-500 yes, you can get on the water in and around Jacksonville. And most who live on the water keep theor boats on lifts. I think you will find most of the waterfront property for sale will already have docks and lifts. Prepare to boat your ass of after moving there. The first year I had my boat, I boated EVERY single month of the year. At least 4-5 days in NOV DEC JAN and FEB each. Hell on New Years day it was 75 and we cruised to lunch with Last Tango.

"Jacksonville" is huge. Not much is actually in the "city" part. The downtown is actually fairly small. Jacksonville is really made up manyof different communities. A sprawling suburbia if you will. It is actually the largest city in the US land area wise. Many different parts to choose from. Atlantic Beach, Southside, San Jose, Julington Creek, Orange Park, St Augustine/ northern St. Johns county.

904-535-4349 if you have any questions as you go throught the process..... hell even if your driving around and get lost or need directions, give a call. Scott

Last Tango will have tons of info for you........ OK Mark.... start typing!;) :biggrin.:

Good luck with the move.

BUIZILLA
05-01-2006, 06:20 PM
My nephew lives in Julington Creek, somewhere on a lake... He is a Sales Mangler for a bigger housing Development Co. that does real nice projects.

JH

olredalert
05-01-2006, 06:51 PM
--------Gotta watch out for those "Sales Manglers"!!! They can be a bit off-putting. But at least he has good family genes.........Bill S

McGary911
05-02-2006, 04:12 PM
Thanks for all the good info. Looks like I may be Last Tango's neighbor sometime in the future. I'm going to start looking for some real estate links....on the water would be mighty.