PDA

View Full Version : Dish network vs Direct TV

onesubdrvr
04-30-2006, 06:10 PM
Which is best?

From what I've seen, Dish Network has a better selection of what limited boating shows are out there, but in all reality, I'm looking for best bang for the buck, including HD programming / etc.

Thanks
Wayne

Gearhead99
04-30-2006, 06:35 PM
I had Dish Network for around 5 years. Two years ago, just before the hurricanes, it would go out when it felt like it. They came out 4 times to attempt repairing it. Never made it work. Finally got fed up with all the DUMB people they sent out and changed to Digital Cable. For two years it has been working without incident.

Two down sides of the dish is that each feed coming into your house only lets to access one channel on every TV that you have hooked to that feed. Second, everytime a rain cloud came view it went out. Do you know how often it rains here in Orlando?? During the summer everyday at least once.

Patti
04-30-2006, 06:51 PM
We have Directv..since we live out in the middle of nowhere and cannot get access to cable.

Jamie has had Directv for a few years and I was always used to cable.

No complaints here though..we have 3 receivers and full basic and it's around 60 bucks a month..we dont watch movies so having movie channels would be useless to us.

We've gotten rain fade ONE time since we moved into this house last July and have never had issues.

One of our receivers had issues early on and Directv customer service was top notch and sent us a replacement box and remote in less than 2 days.

Channel line up is fine for us too..full basic is just about all channels minus Premium channels.

So far..so good :)

Carl C
04-30-2006, 08:20 PM
Dish Network blew away DirecTV. They were cheaper per month, they had more high-def channels and they provided the equipment free. I had to up-grade my DirecTV receiver 3 times and would have had to purchase a new one again to get high-def.

pmreed
04-30-2006, 08:36 PM
I've had Dish for 8 years and am about to upgrade to HD. That's my pick:biggrin:

Phil

steven s
04-30-2006, 09:19 PM
I had Direct Tv for 3 years.And it worked right before hurricane wilma,during the eye of the storm, and after it.With the help of a genorator of course.The only problem is that it is a $$$pricey$$$.

Avialanche
04-30-2006, 09:20 PM
DirectTV for 11 years.........DirectTV HD is Awsome. Dish Network uses DirectTV's satallites from what i heard or read somewhere.

farmer tx
05-01-2006, 12:01 AM
I still use a C/KU band 10' dish. Motorola DSR922 4DTV reciever,Motorola HDD200 HDTV decoder. Have had C/ku since 1988 and would not change for anything. Upgraded 1 1/2 years ago to the digital equipment and last year added the HD decoder. ALWAYS a sharper picture than any little dish.The signal only travels once up to satelite and then to my dish, instead of twice as do the small dish systems. No rent on equipment per month.
Before I upgraded I checked with Dish Net and Direct. The service for the same packages I have were about $35.-$40. a month more from them. I figure it will take 4 more months for me to recoupe the expense of the upgrade.
The only problem I have is on the occasion we get 6 inches of snow or more I have to sweep the lower half of the dish with a broom.

Surfer
05-01-2006, 08:52 AM
I am a dealer for both products, from the corporate side Dish is a much friendlier company, you can actually talk to people, they visit my office ect DTV is a PITA to deal with, and give you the attitude take it or leave it. Both systems work equally as well, and the rainfade problem has gotten alot better.

Uncle Fester
05-01-2006, 10:28 AM
I've had Dish Network for about 10 years and don't have any complaints. I got mulitiple receivers so different shows can be watched on different t.v's plus I got those fancy PVR receivers that you can pause and rewind and record shows on. I'm spoiled now and find myself trying to rewind the radio station if I miss something or get annoyed at hotels that only have cable.

mrfixxall
05-01-2006, 02:19 PM
Dish network,,,,,,i got 3 recievers,dvr and all yes all the channels except the adult ones for 98.00 per month.....rain,snow sleet nothing seems to bother it but lightening will knock it out for a little whyle...

synack
05-01-2006, 11:20 PM
I've had DTV since Oct 1994 and am happy with the service. The one thing that DTV has going for it is that they have TiVo where Dish does not. TiVo rocks!

pmreed
05-02-2006, 06:06 AM
I've had a DVR (digital video recorder) from Dish since 1999. That first one only had a recording capability of 6.5 hours, but it changed the way I watched TV. My current receivers have capacities of 35 and 100 hours recording time. When I upgrade to HD, that DVR will have 25 hour HD recording capability, or over 200 hours SD or any mix of the two. With the 8 day look-ahead guide, I'm happy:biggrin.:

Phil