PDA

View Full Version : Sealant needed for manifold/riser gasket?

Kikwear
04-30-2006, 12:25 PM
I am replacing the gasket that goes between the riser and manifold because the old ones were leaking a bit. I am going to thoroughly clean the surfaces but was wondering if I need some kind of silicone to seal the water passages properly?

mrfixxall
04-30-2006, 12:56 PM
I use a sealent called the ritestuff...It works vary well if both serfaces are cleaned vary well, a thin coat will do and will last for years....

Kikwear
04-30-2006, 01:39 PM
I'm talking about a sealant in addition to replacement Mercrusier gaskets.

Avialanche
04-30-2006, 01:55 PM
That depends on what the surface is like when cleaned up, if it's pitted from rust & corrosion, use sealent, i'd use Permatex Aviation stuff in addition to the gaskets.

mrfixxall
04-30-2006, 02:05 PM
I'm talking about a sealant in addition to replacement Mercrusier gaskets.

It will work with the oe gasgets,permatex stays tacky and the water will blow through if theirs any rust pits...

Rodger
04-30-2006, 02:22 PM
I use the Permatex high-heat silicone/copper sealant. After applying it, let it cure for 24 hours before starting the engine. I've been using this for 35 years in similar applications and it works fine.

Kikwear
04-30-2006, 04:31 PM
I used the copper stuff. It won't be started for at least a week, so it should be good to go.

smokediver
04-30-2006, 05:00 PM
Merc . recommeded to not use a gasket sealant but after many problems are now recommending an anerobic gasket sealant . Permatex makes one and I am not sure if merc's perfect seal is one or not ....

MOP
04-30-2006, 06:08 PM
I use the Permatex high-heat silicone/copper sealant. After applying it, let it cure for 24 hours before starting the engine. I've been using this for 35 years in similar applications and it works fine.

I second the motion!
I have been using the red Hi Temp Silicone also letting it cure 24 hours with excellent results, the next time I pull my headers I will try it on the exhaust manifold to block surfaces it is suppose to seal just as well and makes gasket removal simple!

Phil

Ranman
05-01-2006, 11:28 AM
loctite gasket eliminator / flange sealants... live it, learn it, love it...
you won;t buy it at any auto store... page 3222 of current mcmaster carr catalog... loctite anaerobic gasket eliminators...
JR

Root,

Do you use these "in place of" or "in addition to" the actual fiber gaskets? Which of these sealants do you use the most and for what applications?

I usually coat any gaskets with a film of Ultra Black and call it good. MAybe I need to be doing something different.

P.S. That loctite stuff is expensive from MCM. I have deals in place and may be able to get a much better deal then MCM.

~R

Ranman
05-01-2006, 12:18 PM
now Ranman... what can you do for me in terms of ITW Plexus products

I have a very strong commercial relationship with Curbell Plastics who is a distributor of ITW Plexus.

I know the stuff is expensive, but if you tell me what you need (part numbers and qty would help) I can shoot you a price. Let me know.

rustnrot
01-12-2008, 12:27 PM
Bringing this thread back. From reading this is it not apparent whether anybody (Phil??) uses sealant WITHOUT gaskets, that is, all by itself.

In my case I have these cast aluminum manifolds on the 3.8 supercharged V6. The pitting is not so bad it just looks that way. The castings are from New Zealand and so if I want gaskets I can get them but if any of you has successfully used sealant WITHOUT the gaskets let me know.....

MOP
01-12-2008, 02:00 PM
Bringing this thread back. From reading this is it not apparent whether anybody (Phil??) uses sealant WITHOUT gaskets, that is, all by itself.
In my case I have these cast aluminum manifolds on the 3.8 supercharged V6. The pitting is not so bad it just looks that way. The castings are from New Zealand and so if I want gaskets I can get them but if any of you has successfully used sealant WITHOUT the gaskets let me know.....

Tommy you need to be careful with aluminum, silicone will corrode it. My Gil headers are coated and yes I did not use gaskets, 3 years -0- problems. I used the same H/T silicone on a fitting on my Performer intake and it caused corrosion. The mating surfaces you have look to be very fine, I would get some thin Velimoid and make some gaskets and use the Permatex Aviation. I have been using this stuff for a long time and have had no problems, it is tried and true!

Phil