PDA

View Full Version : Ethanol in your boat gas???

DonziDave
04-29-2006, 08:57 PM
Who has the skinny on what kinds of problems we may have with our boats with the new ethanol mix in the gas?

I have always read that you should never use alcohol products in your boat gas because it attacks the rubber components in your fuel system. Because the fuel sits in the tank longer from sporatic use, I've heard that the ethanol can separate from the gas causing octane loss. Also read that there may be a loss of HP. What effect on carb. jetting?

I'm sure we have an expert out there that can dispell the rumors and set us straight...!!!

Dave :confused:

BUIZILLA
04-29-2006, 09:04 PM
DD, i'm not real sure the BIG 3 are leveling with us, on future compatibility issues.....

maybe they just want us to buy their latest and greatest E85 cars instead...

JH

Carl C
04-29-2006, 09:54 PM
This is from the '05 496 Mercruiser manual.

Pismo
04-30-2006, 07:06 AM
The Mobil station near me has a sign on the pump saying "10% ethanol" so hopefully we'll be alright per the Mercuiser statement. Should loose a bit of hp tho, ethanol has only 72% the stored energy of straight gasoline. There has always been some ethanol in the mix, it is just a higher percentage now. So if straight gas has 100 units of energy per gallon then 10% ethanol gas will have 97.2 units or 2.8% less. This does not take into account the ethanol that was in old formula gas, so the loss should be even less, say 2.0% total. So does that mean my 75.5mph GPS best will now be 2% less down to 74.0mph GPS?......We'll see.

Carl C
04-30-2006, 07:52 AM
BoatUS has been documenting the havoc wreaked on fiberglass gas tanks for a while. Here is the most recent article about ethanol problems.

MOP
04-30-2006, 10:37 AM
This is far from something new! Alcohol has been in boat fuel since the late 70's, rubber fuel line standards were changed to type "B" back then but still go bad. I would like to see the hose lining changed to one of the Polymers or Teflon and be done with it, it kind of baffles me why they do not do so. Maybe there is a "Rubber Lobby"!

Phil

Pismo
04-30-2006, 12:56 PM
This is far from something new! Alcohol has been in boat fuel since the late 70's, rubber fuel line standards were changed to type "B" back then but still go bad. I would like to see the hose lining changed to one of the Polymers or Teflon and be done with it, it kind of baffles me why they do not do so. Maybe there is a "Rubber Lobby"!
Phil
Cost, cost, cost.

JPR
04-30-2006, 02:30 PM
Over on the Bertram31.com this is the #1 subject that comes up. These old boats with glass tanks are having major issues. There is consensus that people are have problems with valves sticking and are finding crap in their tanks, but there is NO consensus on the cause or the remedy. This is a huge issue that has followed the trail of where ethanol is being added to gas. If you are concerned, it is worth a visit as there are alot of smart guys who have done alot of research. Do some reading then make up your own mind.

http://www.bertram31.com/bert31_fs.htm

MOP
04-30-2006, 06:45 PM
I have a few friends with Berts and for some time wondered what the white slime was in their filters, now they know one cut the glass tank out this winter ans also lengthened th tanks compartment for a new larger aluminum tank. There are so many glass tank gas boats out there it sure will effect the marketablity.

Phil

fegettes
05-01-2006, 11:16 AM
Interesting situation. I have a 502 EFI, 415HP and have only run the boat twice in the last year. The boat is at home in Dickinson, TX, and I work in Homestead, FL, ..... I know, it is in the wrong place. The boat was not getting up over 40 to 50 MPH. I had a friend take it to the Boat Superstore in Clear Lake two weeks ago to have it checked. They claimed that the fuel was contaminated and that after four weeks, per a Mercruiser bulletin, gas will have a tendenancy to go bad from all of the additives they make the fuel with to satisfy EPA regulations. Mercruiser claims that if the boat will sit for more than four weeks, to definitely use a fuel stablizer. To have the fuel tank emptied, dispose of the contaminated gas(yes, there was $1.60/gallon charge for this), 16 gallons of fresh fuel with fuel stabilizer, an oil change, and oil change on the outdrive cost me $926. I'm not happy with the bill, I thought this was a bit much. I am waiting for the receipts, and hopefully the Mercruiser bulletin, to be mailed so I can get more of the details. They also indicated that Mercruiser recommends that if the boat will be not be used for a prolonged period of time, to install a fuel shut-off valve, shut off the valve, and run the EFI dry, and leave a fuel stablizer in a tank full of fuel to minimize condensation.
Steve

MOP
05-03-2006, 10:29 PM
fegettes I have been mulling what Merc says about running the EFI dry, I may be wrong but I think that is damn near impossible. True the engine will stop when the pressure in the system is fully bled off, but I beleive it will leave fuel in the system to muck things up anyway. This is a good question for Jim (Buizilla)!