PDA

View Full Version : Whitey's Fishcamp

Cuda
04-26-2006, 06:06 PM
I had to go to Orange Park (Jax) today on a jobsite. I'd heard about Whitey's, so I took Debbie there for lunch. It's a pretty cool place, plenty of docking, big restaurant, I bet it seats 3 to 4 hundred people.

I'm sure Last Tango is familiar with it. Maybe we'll get a chance to run there before or after the Angel Aid Run.

Cuda
04-26-2006, 06:07 PM
It's a comibination fish camp, restaurant, boat launch, bait shop, and rv park. Heck, they even have a beautry salon! :)

Cuda
04-26-2006, 06:09 PM
Gas was $3.19 on the water there, not too bad considering it was about the same on land.

Cuda
04-26-2006, 06:10 PM
First time I ever saw river cooter on a menu! It's a staple where Debbie's from. :)

ChromeGorilla
04-26-2006, 07:09 PM
Yup, Whiteys is pretty cool. For those going by boat, it is on the southern end of Doctors lake. Doctors lake joins the St. Johns on its western shore in Orange Park FL.

FYI it is the first card stop during the AngelAID poker run.

Cuda
04-26-2006, 07:14 PM
I never realized just how much boating there is to do in the Jax area. There are tons of waterfront.

ChromeGorilla
04-26-2006, 07:32 PM
I really do miss it. If I could choose to live anywhere, I honestly would choose some place on the water in or around Jacksonville. VERY boater friendly. Pratically NO "No Wake Zones", many on water restaraunts/ bars/eateries, lots of room to run. You can hit the ICW, head north or south and the St. Johns runs pretty damn far as well..... my favorite area to boat for sure.

onesubdrvr
04-26-2006, 07:42 PM
I really do miss it. If I could choose to live anywhere, I honestly would choose some place on the water in or around Jacksonville. VERY boater friendly. Pratically NO "No Wake Zones", many on water restaraunts/ bars/eateries, lots of room to run. You can hit the ICW, head north or south and the St. Johns runs pretty damn far as well..... my favorite area to boat for sure.
I TRIED to help a brother out :biggrin.:

Take care, hope to see 'ya around!!

Wayne

fastcat
04-26-2006, 08:03 PM
Whiteys is a legendary place with the best gator tail around.
I was first introduced to Whitey in 1978 who was a friend of my future father-in-law. Back then it truly was a fish camp and the restaurant and bar were more of a "shack" . We live about 10 minutes from there so go often, but it's not as fun now they are all "dressed up".

Last Tango
04-27-2006, 10:36 PM
Whitey's is my FAVORITE waterfront restaurant. Lots of great waterfront restaurants to go here in JAX, but that is my constant favorite and regular destination when boating. Probably will go there tomorrow with Mike and Janice from Cleveland. They are arriving in the wee hours tonight and staying with us for a weeeknd of boating and fun. Weather is going to be totally perfect.
Whitey's has the best food and the best prices, and has a huge restaurtant. Too hot? Too cold? No problem. Go inside. Too perfectly nice to go inside. No problem. Lots of waterfront dining so you can watch the boats and the Bikinis go by.
Outback Crabshack has the best dock by far, but has gotten very pricey.
The Jacksonville Landing is a nice place to dock as long as the tide isn't ripping, and has over three dozen restaurtant selections to meet any taste and wallet.
For the most AMAZING "decortating", massive menu, great food at a resonable price, but only fair docking, you can't pass up Clark's Fishcamp.
For a nice ride to a nice location with nice docks and nice food with nice prices, go to Gator Landing in Palatka.
And if you are just looking for wings and a side order of breasts and thighs, Hooters has TWO waterfront locations here in town, both with ample docking. Angel Aid Poker Run at the Florida Tackle & Gun Club is right across the creek from the best Hooters in town. I eat THERE for lunch at least once a week.
You can also boat right out into the Atlantic Ocean and run outside or inside (Intracoastal Waterway) to St. Augustine to the south, or Fernandina to the north. Can't lose either way.

ChromeGorilla
04-27-2006, 10:50 PM
Mark, that sums it up perfectly. I think the Jax Chamber of Commerce owes you a consulting fee for that one. Man oh man do I miss it...... OK I'm donw whining....:rolleyes:

Last Tango
04-27-2006, 10:55 PM
CG,
Do me a BIG favor. NEVER, and I truly mean NEVER EVER change your avatar. It is a very good likeness to Aye Candy.