PDA

View Full Version : X-18 Engine removal Questions???

Kirbyvv
04-24-2006, 11:03 AM
Pulling the engine this weekend so that I can glass in the stringers on the X-18 and install a volvo 280T transom assembly. I don't need to do any engine work just have to get everything out of the way. Got a spot with an overhead hoist and two friends who have pulled auto engines before and beer. Can I pull the engine with the bell housing attached? It looks like it would be easier, just 6 bolts in the transom assembly, and the motor mounts, but I don't know if it will fit out of the hatch. Any other pointers would be helpful.

BRIAN73
04-25-2006, 07:16 AM
Kirby,

Its good to see that your project is comming along so nice!!!!!

I have had that combo in and out of my X, so many times I would rather not talk about it!!!! LOL LOL

Me personally, I would just take the bell housing bolts off, (Which are easy to get to) and just slide the engine off the splines of the coupler and out. You can with the bell housing, it just makes it kinda dicey!!!!

If you ever need assistance, or someone to drink beer and watch you work, LOL Give Me A Call
Cell 588-8719

olredalert
04-25-2006, 09:14 AM
-------With the engine out i would regasket everything I can reach. Dont know how fresh the engine is but now would be the time to do anything you can think of mechanically.........Bill S

Kirbyvv
04-25-2006, 10:35 AM
The X ran great. Engine has a fresh rebuild, probably less than 12 hours on it. I just need to glass in the motor mount cut outs in the stringers (stringers are solid and dry). I also bought a 280T transom assembly (shallow water at my dock so really wanted trim). Figure I'll clean and repaint the bilge and run the wiring for the trim while everything is out.
All the wiring has quick connects and the motor was out about a year ago. Hopefully it will go smooth. We'll see, I've never pulled an engine before, but have pulled alot of helpfull info off this site.

Brian73, I'll give you a call, pulling the motor at a friends garage up at Top O' the World on Sat. April 29.

BRIAN73
04-25-2006, 11:37 AM
Kirby,

Is that performance trailer??? On top of the world???

I'm flying to Iowa, this Friday to check the progress of my cousin's Austin Healey, that is being restored for the 07 SEMA Show.

Give a me call afterwards, I would love to see the boat!!!!!
Mine is still in storage!!!!!!!!!!

Brian

gpapich
04-25-2006, 11:54 PM
Great! Another X-18 owner. Good deal!

I bought Evan Ginsburg's old boat (dregsz). I'm still slowly sorting it out. I'm finding tricks like duct taped raw water lines. I've got the 280TRS setup. Heavy, ancient, but bulletproof. Know any other west coat X-18 people? When I shake it, I've got about 3" of total side-to-side play in my outdrive before the steering wheel moves.

I'm thinking about pulling the engine to clean things up and get rid of a nagging oil drip.

Kirbyvv
04-26-2006, 11:21 AM
I'm a new X-18 owner also. Purchased last September. I don't know of any west coast X-18 owners. Post a new listing and see if you get any info. Mine has a volvo drive so don't know anything about the TRS, but I know there are alot of folks on this site that have them and know a bunch about them.
Are the stringer cut outs glassed in on yours where the motor mounts are bolted up? If not everyone recommends doing it.

gpapich
04-26-2006, 09:24 PM
Interesting that the X-18's never really made it across country...

As far as my stringers go, they are glassed in although there are cut-outs just forward of the engine mounts (kind of half-oval looking). I don't know if that was a factory mod or something that one of the three or four owners previous to me did. The actual cut is not glassed over.

Also, is grey the standard bilge color from Donzi in the 70's?

Kirbyvv
05-01-2006, 05:25 PM
1.5 hours and bingo out she was, bell housing, manifolds and risers still on. It was a bit tight, don't think I could have had an inch to spare. The thing that helped the most was putting each trailer wheel on a roller cart so we could move the boat side to side and fore and aft as we lifted the motor. Probably couldn't have gotten it out with the bell housing and risers on without the roller carts. Now to glass the stringers, and put in the 280T transom assembly. Out of town this week so next weekens project. Thanks for the input and the other helpful threads I reviewed.