PDA

View Full Version : Pinstripe removal...

Tony
04-23-2006, 08:20 PM
Probably the first two of several detailing questions. It looks like the deck will get the hardware removed and a wetsanding before the compounding and polishing.

1) Any tricks for removing the pinstripe, other than scraping with your fingernail hoping for a bit of a grip then pulling slowly and hoping for it not to break?

2) What grit would be a good choice right before rotary polishing with 3M heavy duty compound? If the compound is about 2000 would 1500 paper make sense?

:beer:

penbroke
04-23-2006, 08:43 PM
A bit of heat might help with the stripe. Hair dryer or a heat gun with care.

Frank

Dr. Dan
04-24-2006, 04:41 AM
:spongebob Tony I agree with Frank....but I would lean toward the Hair Dryer....Heat Guns are not forgiving....

Also rather than your finger nail you can use a "Nylon Scrapper" I have some we use for our Hard Surface Wood Cleaning Kits...if you shoot me your mailing address I can mail one out to you right away!

They basically are "less likely to scratch the surface than a metal scraper" they work great I use them to redo my Boat Registration....also you can shoot some of Poodles Magic WD-40 on the Stripe, then use the Scrapper and it will come off like butter!

Good Luck

Doc :beer:

MOP
04-24-2006, 06:13 AM
Tony go to your local auto parts, there is a nice tool for getting the stripe off quickly and easily. It is a rubber wheel that goes in the drill, it works amazingly simple. I discovered is at a body shop, I could not believe my eyes how well it worked and was told that is all they use, it leaves a clean surface with just about -0- residue. I doubt if there is a body shop that does not have it.

Phil

Hobby model
http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/mmm7502.html
Professional model
http://www.etoolcart.com/browseproducts/Smart-Eraser-pinstripe-removal-tool-kit.html

Patrik Sweden
04-24-2006, 07:49 AM
I used a heat gun, it worked very well! But be careful!

MOP
04-24-2006, 10:47 AM
Be carefull Patrik you have that right, 95% of the time you will get away with a heat gun but the other 5% you will blister the gel coat.

Kikwear
04-24-2006, 11:02 AM
How exactly do you remove the rail on the port side? There's no access panel on my 16 like the throttle on the starboard.

Patrik Sweden
04-24-2006, 12:14 PM
You don't have to heat it SO much, my Heat Gun had 3 modes; Hot, Very Hot and Hot as hell.. use Hot.. If you grab the stripe with you fingertip you feel the heat, and when your fingers burning you'll know when to stop heating..

joem
04-24-2006, 02:42 PM
heat gun works greatif you have the right one...crafstman industrial model with a rotary adjustment an the back you can dial it down to low heat or up and burn a hole in the side...low setting works great....joe

boldts
04-25-2006, 03:57 PM
Kikwear - Do you know a child who will climb up in the side of your 16? I am a fairly small guy so I could get far enough up in there on my 18 to hold the nut on the bottom side while my friend turned or held the top of the screw. Either way, the only way to get to it is to reach or lay up in the side between the hull and the inner cockpit. It's usually a 2 person job. I don't think there is any difference between the amount of space in the 2 sizes, but maybe. I've never worked on a 16. Now, the 22? Heck, I could climb up in the side of that boat and go to sleep if I wanted to. ;)

Back to Tony's question - Sorry, never had to remove a pinstripe so I can't help with that question.

Marlin275
04-25-2006, 05:41 PM
Ronsonol Lighter Fluid will remove almost all adhesives and reside.
I use it to remove Velcro adhesive, thats tough stuff.
Do a small test area, will not harm most paints, test first.