PDA

View Full Version : The "Wilma Special" rides again.

bobwpe
04-23-2006, 01:40 PM
On a trailer anyway.
After much pulling, tugging, pushing and shoving, I was able to get the boat home last week. My first thanks go to Madpoodle for finding me a trailer ..................for a hundred bucks! I would also like to thank the others for their good wishes.
Now its time to get started. I am about to remove the engine using Rootsy's 13 point primer on engine removal as a guide. Thank you Rootsy. Are there any other issues specific to an MPI that anyone would like to add? I am glad this boat has the quick/quiet exhaust system but I don't think I'll be very happy about it for the next few days. Any suggestions on this would be appreciated as well.
My first major issue appears to be engine clearance. My goal from day 1 on this project was to build a boat with original appearance with modern power and components. The original rear hatch has a small scoop. I prefer the clean look of a smooth hatch but I if that's the way it came, that's the way its gonna stay. If I could install the engine so the exhausts would line up with the existing holes, I think I would have enough clearance to use the original hatch. I did a little reading on X-dimension and shortie drives and my initial impression is that a 2" shortie drive would effectively reduce the 14 1/2x-dimension to 12 1/2". Is this correct?
Thanks again for all your help.

Cuda
04-23-2006, 01:47 PM
Good luck with it. I know that having an entire boat to cannabalize from will make it a lot easier. The cost of the little things to swap engines is incredible.

Lenny
04-23-2006, 01:56 PM
I did a little reading on X-dimension and shortie drives and my initial impression is that a 2" shortie drive would effectively reduce the 14 1/2x-dimension to 12 1/2". Is this correct?
Thanks again for all your help.

Nope, it would raise it to 16 1/2" :) It would be a GOOD thing.

Kikwear
04-23-2006, 02:39 PM
I was going to ask what was wrong with the donor boat until I saw the second picture. What happened?

On a separate note, do you find that your starboard Corsa solenoid sticks sometimes? I usually have to open the hood and manually open it because it's clicking but not opening.

I say plug that transom hole and put an Arneson on it. :D

bobwpe
04-23-2006, 06:18 PM
Thanks for the info and good wishes. I was thinking I would have to buy a used boat in the 10k - 15k range just for parts which I would have to restore and I still wanted a new motor. Getting this boat is better than anything I possibly could have imagined.
This boat is a by-product of hurricane Wilma. Some heavy steel beams fell on it so I imagine the rack it was stored in was partially collapsed. The manager said he "never saw" the out of town owner so it has barely been used. Don't know if the engine runs or will have major issues when it does, but it looks to be in excellent condition.
Whatever happens, I'm glad to have a project that has been on "indefinite hold" for the last six months back on.