PDA

View Full Version : Hauled her home...

Tony
04-22-2006, 09:56 PM
today from Syracuse, Indiana, just south of Shipshewana, which has a large population of Amish. It will need some attention, mostly gel-coat restoration and general clean-up, but other than that I am extremely pleased.

Interesting history: Pier 33 in Holland, MI, discontinued their Donzi line around 1996 and liquidated their inventory. The owner was enamored with this boat, though, and had it pulled out of liquidation and stored (still new). The owner then became ill, eventually died, and the boat sat in storage for 5 years! His son inherited it, and sold it to the guy I bought it from. The first title issued to it has a date of 2002, and the boat has less than 100 hours on it.

It's a Volvo Penta package, with a 7.4 Gsi and the DPX racing outdrive. I'm pretty excited and, presuming I get busy with the detailing, we're planning on bringing it to AOTH VI. We made AOTH I and II in our '67 Ski Sporter but then took three years off, so it will be nice to again awaken the horses in Kentucky. Maybe Scott Boldts could ask Miss America (formerly Miss Kentucky!) to make an appearance at this premier event!

:beer:

MOP
04-22-2006, 10:43 PM
Been waiting for you to get it home, a very nice package. Now go play "Karate Kid" I know it will be looking good soon!

Phil

yeller
04-22-2006, 10:44 PM
Wow, that's an interesting history. Less than 100hrs...yea...I'd be excited too! A weekend of buffing/polishing and you'll have a near new boat. Excellent drive package too.
In that first picture, is that the previous owners tow vehicle? :p

Cuda
04-22-2006, 11:02 PM
Beautiful! That story reminds me of my 302. It's a 1986. The dealer lost his dealership, and never sold the boat. His son in law took it out once in a while. The guy who bought it before me was the first titled owner. He titled it in 2001, and it had 42 hours on it. I think the $148,000 list price might have had something to do with it not selling. :)

How many hp is the 7.4 Gsi?

yeller
04-22-2006, 11:05 PM
No expert, but I think the Gsi is 385hp. Apparently faster than a similarly equipt Bravo.

OKII
04-22-2006, 11:17 PM
Awesome find Tony, congrats!!
Mark one more point for 22's!!:lookaroun

ITTLFLI
04-23-2006, 08:55 AM
Great find!! Looks nice!! See you at AOTH!!

MOP
04-23-2006, 09:52 AM
Tony keep 1K in mind! Though I will keep bugging you:garfield:

Phil

onesubdrvr
04-23-2006, 09:55 AM
I LIKE that boat!!! :biggrin:

Dare to be different!! :biggrin:

Wayne

LKSD
04-23-2006, 10:19 AM
OoooH!! Kewl ride!! :D :D That should haul some behind!! I wish Volvo would bring that package back & market it again.. You even have the hydraulic steering!!

Do you also have the CMI on it from the factory??

Im sure it's worth the the buffing you are going to be doing.. Very nice ride indeed... Congrats on the find.. :)

Jamie / Lakeside :)

Tony
04-23-2006, 11:01 AM
Thanks to all for the positive comments! Volvo says 385 hp at the propshaft. They put this outdrive behind 415, 500 and 600 hp motors so it is apparently a well built unit. My last Volvo outdrive is 40 years old and still going strong!

No CMI, jw...and Poodle, I am pretty sure I will not be changing these props "on the fly". If I drop these babies into the drink they cost $1,100/set to replace! Although Forrest says he has found them cheaper on ebay, that is still a pretty hefty retail cost I would say.

Phil, we're shooting for AOTH VI, but 1,000 Islands is probably not in the cards this year. I'm pretty sure my daughter would be a tad bummed if I missed her wedding. I offered her a cash settlement to have a small ceremony at the Boldt Castle, but she did not go for it. I could have bought rounds for all of A-Bay for less than what I'll be spending on this 350 guest wedding party!

:beer:

tamburello
04-23-2006, 03:41 PM
Tony -

Awesome new ride! We're looking forward to see you at AOTH!

- Jeff

LKSD
04-23-2006, 09:40 PM
No CMI, jw...

No problem. I was just curious as I have seen some from volvo with them.. It should still haul though.. :) Again.. nice aquisition & congrats again.. Jamie :)

Trueser
04-23-2006, 10:00 PM
Tony,
Nice boat!!! Hopefully you will be at AOTh...

Have fun