PDA

View Full Version : Roller tappets

MOP
04-22-2006, 08:14 AM
Curious about how many hours to set the hyd rollers in the Beast, I have gotten a few opinions from doubt if it needs it to "100 hours then probably never again". Though it has had 5 oil changes in just under 50 hours there has to be some wear, but just how much? Two of my land cages have over 100k with no adjustment.

Phil

jstokes8407
04-22-2006, 06:09 PM
Mop Can't tell you how many sorry.

I did however put a fresh water cooling system on Doug's 18c today. The 1 that cools the manifolds 2. What a pain in the ass. Those kits are really generic. Good think I work at a shop or I would have 2 had made 5 trips to lighthouse for all the right parts. Put all new risers and manifolds on it and i though that was gona be the hard part huh I was wrong. Had 2 drill and tap the right side head 2 mount the exchanger b/c there was no hole 2 mount it.
but it's done.

I think I might need a hand though with mine I am just about done putting the teleflex system and new wheel on and might need a hand on how 2 center the wheel. Also I would like to make sure my shift cabe is adjusted right I don't wanna ruin that ss drive.

john

MOP
04-22-2006, 06:24 PM
Give me a call I am loose most nights.

Gearhead99
04-23-2006, 06:25 PM
Since they are hydraulic they shouldn't need anymore adjusting. There really isn't any wear with the roller cam and followers. That's why when you assemble an engine with a roller cam, new or otherwise, you don't put that cam break-in grease on it. If you do the rollers might slip, instead of following the face of the lobe.

Just enjoy the boat and keep the oil changed.

MOP
04-23-2006, 07:13 PM
Thanks that seems to be the general concensus "Set Em & Forget Em!" Oil is cheap on the new stroker I did it at 1 hour, 5 hours, 15 and 35 then again at 47 hours when I winterized it. I will stay with a max of 25 from here on in, I have never had an oil problem just like to be super safe.

Phil