PDA

View Full Version : Internal hydraulic steering, oil filters etc....

gcarter
04-20-2006, 02:45 PM
Ever since I've had the Minx running, about 15 months, I've always wanted to get rid of the Big T helm and the steering cable.
Thanks to Blackhawk who offered his Hynautic internal hydraulic steering system for sale, I was able to fulfill one of life's small desires!:yes:
While I had the boat off the trailer re-geling the bottom, I also exchanged steering systems.
Last month during the Mt. Dora Antique Boat show, I got to try it for the first time. The main thing I noticed was it's four turns lock to lock!.....keeps you on your toes.
While we were on the trip up the Ocklawaha River, I lost oil pressure!!:bawling:
On further inspection, I noticed the starboard oil filter was crushed.
Well, we towed the boat in, took it back to my shop and changed filters, topped it up with oil and was good to go for Saturday.
The Hynautic/Mercruiser steering ram is considerably larger and longer than the stock cable set up. When I went to full starboard lock, the end of the ram crushed the stbd oil filter.
Now I have the engine out to exchange couplers and a bunch of other mods. I'm slowly replacing all the original, perhaps weaker components.
Today I relocated the oil filter manifold.
Frequently, I'm asked "why two oil filters?". Two filters reduces the flow velocity in the filters and increases contact time with the filter media. Two filters also increase over all oil capacity. These are all good things.
The first pictures show the helm installation. Please note the facia piece located behind the helm I had made to cover the mounting holes for the original helm bezel.
The back of the dash shows how simple the installation is.

gcarter
04-20-2006, 02:53 PM
The transom plate mount is just like the standard power steering cable setup, only a lot bigger and there is no cable, only two small hydraulic hoses. Notice I used the Aeroquip SST braided hose. It was only $15.00 more than the black plastic hose...$165.00 vs. $150.00.
Also notice I painted the PS valve to match the inner transom plate. It seems like no one uses good, shiny paint.

gcarter
04-20-2006, 03:00 PM
In these next pics you'll see where the filter manifold has been located for over 15 months and what happened to it with this setup.
And then look at the solution...just a slight relocation of the manifold and a slight re-arrangement of the oil hoses.

Reedy
04-20-2006, 03:06 PM
George, great job! Your photography skills are not too bad either!

gero1
04-20-2006, 09:40 PM
very nice job g.c