PDA

View Full Version : 460 Marine Stock Block

LSUTIGERS74
04-19-2006, 04:48 PM
I know this should go in the wanted section, but I figured more people look at this section of the website.

I am looking for a Ford 460 stock block, does anyone know of anybody that has one in the south for a reasonable price. I am doing a rebuild for my 460 and I originally thought the block was Ok, but after pulling the heads and looking into the water ports they are full of rust.

Also does anyone know if a block in this situation can be salvaged, can you just bore out ports and magna flux the whole engine?

mrfixxall
04-19-2006, 05:30 PM
Rust, no biggie take it to machine shop and have them acid dip the block and the acid will eat the rust away..then have them pressure check the block for perosity holes to make sure their are no pin holes in the oiling system....

MOP
04-19-2006, 07:15 PM
I would grab Poodle's Lincoln block or find one a little closer, you will feel better putting $$ into a clean car block. You will need marine pistons and save the valve gear out of the old block the cam is different for marine apps.

Phil

LSUTIGERS74
04-20-2006, 02:41 PM
Is everything compatible on a 460 auto engine bare block to convert to marine engine block. I know there are different heads, cam, pistons, connecting rods. What about the water port sizes on the block are they larger on the marine blocks as is the case with the marine heads?

I am actually taking the engine to our marine store in Morgan City tomorrow morning since I will be down that way for a meeting at a shipyard. We have a parts pressure cleaner that we use to reman large CAT diesel engines (and sometimes small diesel engines), hopefully this will knock off all the rust and crud that has accumulated all over the block internals.

mrfixxall
04-20-2006, 03:15 PM
A marine block has higher nickel content in the block...