PDA

View Full Version : What is your wax of choice?

Tony
04-18-2006, 09:01 PM
What do you like for gel-coat:

Meguiar's (http://www.nealsharbor.com/store/prods/meg56.html)

Collinite (http://www.nealsharbor.com/store/prods/col925.html)

Waxing Frenzy! (http://hammerheadboatworks.com/waxing_frenzy_.html)

Post a link for others you may recommend...

:beer:

John W
04-18-2006, 09:06 PM
I like the frenzy soap, but Not to impressed withthe waxes. I use the 3m paste wax looks great and easy to use

Speed-Racer
04-18-2006, 09:16 PM
Paste wax is never that easy to use...I vote for and use everyday on the job 3M and Meguiars!

Anyone ever use Zymol products..the overpriced and most complicated system to use....

Pismo
04-19-2006, 05:28 AM
Neither Meguiars or Collinte, have not tried the other. I buffed and buffed, then put Meguiars on one side and Collinite on the other, multiple coats each and within days both sides started to chaulk up again.

oilman
04-19-2006, 09:07 AM
I'm using supercoat aircraft surface treatment. It does a great job removing chaulk and it comes off easy.
www.supercoat.com/one.htm

Pismo
04-19-2006, 09:43 AM
Do you use their aircraft surface treatment or their marine surface treatment or are they the same, they have the exact same price I see. Thanks

mrfixxall
04-19-2006, 09:50 AM
3m boat wax,ez on ez off

oilman
04-19-2006, 09:59 AM
I've been using the aircraft treatment. I didn't notice they had a marine treatment until I posted their link here and looked at it myself. Have been very happy w/ the aircraft treatment though.

McGary911
04-19-2006, 12:01 PM
For my initial wax of the season, I use 3m cleaner wax,

http://products3.3m.com/catalog/us/en001/auto_marine_aero/marine/node_GSF21PNYLHbe/root_GST1T4S9TCgv/vroot_GS4JK4Y166ge/gvel_H8PTZGX97Rgl/theme_us_marine_3_0/command_AbcPageHandler/output_html

which i've found to be a bit more aggressive than Frenzy.

For during the season waxes, Frenzy is great. Very easy on \ off. Good protection. Just not as good as restoring slight fading as the 3m stuff is.

Getting time to break out my 3m wax ;)

Marlin275
04-19-2006, 02:17 PM
I washed the boat last weekend and there was grime that you could not scrub off but the 3M cleaner wax got it all off and made the boat look like new!

oilman
04-19-2006, 03:02 PM
3M appears to be in the lead:biggrin:

Uncle Fester
04-19-2006, 07:49 PM
They don't make it anymore so it's like gold to me, but I love the Blue Coral AutoFom. It's like an eggshell finish and nothing sticks to it. Just don't try to throw a 25lb anchor off the bow if it's wet.....you may fall and get hurt :shocking:

Tony
04-19-2006, 07:58 PM
It appears that I should have included this product in the poll:

3M Marine Liquid Wax (http://products3.3m.com/catalog/us/en001/auto_marine_aero/marine/node_GSC681ZKNFbe/root_GST1T4S9TCgv/vroot_GS4JK4Y166ge/gvel_H8PTZGX97Rgl/theme_us_marine_3_0/command_AbcPageHandler/output_html)

Is this the product many of you are using and are pleased with?

Speed-Racer
04-19-2006, 09:13 PM
Yea 3M knows there stuff..just finished Dad's today with the "restore & wax" a slight compound mixed with wax pretty cool stuff...lpoks like new for an 10 year old 16'.

PISMO if the boat it chaulked you need to compound ther boat before you put wax on...otherwise it's like putting wax on concrete, a waste of time.

undertaker
04-20-2006, 07:44 AM
I like and use Frenzy.... I also like and use Long Haul works great on the bottom scum lines come off with ease...:kyle:

Undertaker (Mr. Detailer):uzi:

Ranman
04-20-2006, 11:56 AM
3M Liquid Marine is the only way I fly. I also use 3M Finesse-it and Finesse-it II for rubbing and polishing.

BTW - 3M is the only manufacturer used by the big OEM auto makers on their paint shop finesse decks so that should say something.

Chili 18
04-20-2006, 12:14 PM
My 18 wears Awlgrip. They recommend no wax, as they all will discolor. They sell a special wash,(which i haven’t bought yet) suppose to be healthy for the finish. And a polymer polish for when the finish finally does need some assistance. Three years and its still glossy as a mirror. It is a garage kept beast though. On the cars, I like Maguire’s products for general maintenance. Have heard good things about the 3m pro products...

smokediver
04-20-2006, 02:26 PM
My 18 wears Awlgrip. They recommend no wax, as they all will discolor. They sell a special wash,(which i haven’t bought yet) suppose to be healthy for the finish. And a polymer polish for when the finish finally does need some assistance. Three years and its still glossy as a mirror. It is a garage kept beast though. On the cars, I like Maguire’s products for general maintenance. Have heard good things about the 3m pro products...
Yep , until they (awlgrip) came out with their own line of wax/sealant . I can't tell you the injustice that awlgrip did to customers of high end boats that were painted with their product . Here in south florida , any paint needs to be waxed ... if you want it to last . maybe in maine their finish will last but here in UV land it just isn't so .

Chili 18
04-20-2006, 03:03 PM
. maybe in maine their finish will last but here in UV land it just isn't so .
Wish I had more UV worries...:jestera:

Frenzy!
04-21-2006, 05:26 PM

The reason Awlgrip recommends no wax is that about 95% of waxes made today use #3 grade yellow carnauba. A very small percentage use #1 grade yellow. Either can yellow your surface. Frenzy!, however, uses #1 grade ivory, which is not yellow and reveals the truest color in your paint or gel. It also contains the highest UV protection and polymers not found in any other wax in the world.

smokediver
04-22-2006, 07:46 AM
I use 3m premium liquid wax that I get from an automotie supply shop . I use it on awlgrip with excellent results . For gel I use 3m marine liquid wax . It is a little thicker than the automotive wax and I find it lasts as long as any other wax here and it is easy on and off .

LKSD
04-22-2006, 07:49 AM
I like to use 3m's products. then I finish it off with Interlux's UV treatment wax sealer.. It looks like its wet all the time.. What a great shine. I also use Interlux's boat soap to wash it.. It cleans great & is gentle enough to leave & prolong the shine. I use it on our cars & truck too.. Jamie / Lakeside :)

undertaker
04-22-2006, 08:32 AM
I use Frenzy and Long Haul both great products IMO:D

Undertaker:wavey:

Avialanche
04-26-2006, 09:48 PM
I use 3M Marine Fiberglass Cleaner & Wax, works great on my oxidized surface, one step application, liquid based. Nice gloss after it's all done.

Rob
04-27-2006, 06:27 PM
I've used (and sold) many of the products discussed at one time or another. No complaints with any of them, however these days I've been using a Starbrite product with Teflon. I started using it on the bottom of my racing sailboat because of the lime/hardwater build up I get from the freshwater lake I live on (the boat is drysailed).

I found this stuff to be the best in repelling dirt and other junk (as you might expect from the Teflon) and pretty good in terms of UV protection.

turbo2256
04-28-2006, 12:13 AM
Paste wax is never that easy to use...I vote for and use everyday on the job 3M and Meguiars!
Anyone ever use Zymol products..the overpriced and most complicated system to use....

I use the Zymoil cleaner wax to remove anything soap water dosent. Then Colinite fleet paist on top. Also use 303 Protectant on bare gellcote befor waxing or after stripping wax.

Look up Zymoil's web site they started the whole wax thing. Acouple oz of there pure white cannaba costs a few hun.

Last Tango
05-03-2006, 12:23 PM
I use "Dad's Thunder." Comes from Cleveland, Ohio. He spent the last weekend down here with me to go boating in my new 22ZX. Friday morning he was up with the morning sun and found my Meguiars wax in the garage and did the entire boat before I was up. He then finished it up with the Meguiars Quick Wax Show Finish Treatment, also in my garage. Made a huge shiny difference on a boat barely two months out of the mold and less than 10 hours.
He repeated the Show Finish again the next morning. Couldn't stop him.
I invited him back for the Angel Aid Poker Run in July. Boat should be due again by then.

boatnut
05-03-2006, 10:18 PM
I've been using Klasse All-In-One (cleaning and sealant) and Klasse Sealant Glaze (protection only no cleaning) with excellent results on dark gelcoat that is in the weather/sun full time 365 days a year. I've tried lots of products and Klasse protects from UV, is easy to use, and lasts longer than others. Do a search and read about it.

Moody Blu'
05-07-2006, 08:56 PM
I use the Zymoil cleaner wax to remove anything soap water dosent. Then Colinite fleet paist on top. Also use 303 Protectant on bare gellcote befor waxing or after stripping wax.
Look up Zymoil's web site they started the whole wax thing. Acouple oz of there pure white cannaba costs a few hun.

yea zymol is great stuff and smells like pink cotton candy its what i use too

Sofa King
02-18-2007, 10:16 AM
Turtle Wax...paste of course

slapshot11
02-18-2007, 01:47 PM
My 22 has a black stripe and no matter what I use I can't get it to shine like I'd like to. The white hull and deck areas look great. It looks good from a distance but up close the black stripe looks cloudy. I've used both 3M Cleaner & Wax and 3m Restorer & Wax. Both times followed by Frenzy. Last year at the LG Dust Off, some of the boths looked "wet" all the time. Just beautiful shines.
Any suggestions for the black stripe?

smokediver
02-18-2007, 02:18 PM
Actually , awlgrip came out with there own wax/polish/ ... it isn't too good ... The Hinckley rep here said the same thing , awlgrip doesn't need wax ... maybe up in maine it doesn't but from too much experience i will tell you that it needs wax .. the best wax i have found for awl grip is the automotive 3m liquid wax part 6005 .. i think that is it , the part # varies by the quanity .. anyway it is easy on and off and lasts great ... as far as fiberglas , 3m came out wth a product called marine scotch wax ... it smells like suntan lotion ... it is by far the best , longest lasting wax i have used ... the other 3m liquid wax is great as well ... but the scotch wax imho is easier to use and much longer lasting ...

Tony
02-18-2007, 02:26 PM
I bought a bottle of Donnie Fulmar's "Leverage" product, explained at length in this post on oso. (http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140741)

Last spring I labored for a week wet-sanding the badly faded red gel on my '96 22'. So...I am interested primarily in UV protection, but of course I like a shine as well as anybody. His explanation of gel and its characteristics make sense, so I figure it is worth a try. I'll give a first hand report early this summer.

yeller
02-18-2007, 05:31 PM
Tony, I've been thinking of trying that stuff myself. Pretty lofty claims about the product. Quite skeptical myself. I'm fighting the battle....to buy or not to buy. :confused:

Tony
02-18-2007, 07:41 PM
Tony, I've been thinking of trying that stuff myself. Pretty lofty claims about the product. Quite skeptical myself. I'm fighting the battle....to buy or not to buy. :confused:

At $12 a bottle (if I remember correctly) I figure it's worth a try. There seems to be quite a few who have already tried it and are supporting his claims. I'll never forget Trueser from Chicago telling me that you wax paint and polish gel. Donnie's description of the characteristics of gel, with its porous nature and how most products clog the pores, seems to corraborate this theory.

3rdDonzi
02-18-2007, 07:46 PM
I use Aeroshell Flight Jacket aircraft polish. Very easy on and off. They offer a kit (link below) with interior cleaner, polish, oil and exaust remover that will not strip wax, plexicoat for windshield and "touch and go" wich is very similar to Meguires Quick Detail. My second favorite is Meguires.
Corky

http://shellaviationstore.com/

yeller
02-18-2007, 08:11 PM
UV protection is my main concern as well. Yellow doesn't fair any better in the sun than red. I wish this stuff came out a year ago so I would know how it holds up.
The reports of how slick it is concerns me a bit. I always go across the bow when launching and I don't need to take a bath in our cold waters.
Wished you lived in Florida, then you'd be able to give an update by time our spring rolls around. :wink:

florida gator
02-19-2007, 07:10 AM
I bought a bottle of Donnie Fulmar's "Leverage" product, explained at length in this post on oso. (http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140741)
Last spring I labored for a week wet-sanding the badly faded red gel on my '96 22'. So...I am interested primarily in UV protection, but of course I like a shine as well as anybody. His explanation of gel and its characteristics make sense, so I figure it is worth a try. I'll give a first hand report early this summer.

I'll report earlier than that. He is distributing it through Trick and currently they only have the polish up on the site. I have emailed Trick because I want to order the oxidation remover and the polish together.

3rdDonzi
02-19-2007, 07:39 PM
I use Aeroshell Flight Jacket aircraft polish. Goes on and off VERY easy.

ATLDONZI
02-19-2007, 08:18 PM
i use flynn's products on all our shop show cars/ my boat /customer cars... it is very afforbable and is awsome. i polished my boat once last year with the longevity polymer and it is absolutly stunning. i figure when i saw chip foose using it at sema this year i made a good choice...

http://www.flynndist.com/boat.htm

BaldEagle
03-01-2007, 08:54 PM
Anyone ever try Zaino Bros system. Initial application takes some time but after that its touch up with spray like pledge. I put it on my red plastic car and the shine looks a foot thick. Thinking about trying it on the C-22 this season. Yes in W. MI we have seasons.

ATLDONZI
03-01-2007, 09:03 PM
i now throw the towel in on my above post i am a life long leverage user... ans as for zaino i have used it on my is300 and my supercharged s2000 great stuff but dosent hold up to the elements very well.. great show shine just look at these pics....

Tony
03-01-2007, 10:22 PM
Anyone ever try Zaino Bros system. Initial application takes some time but after that its touch up with spray like pledge. I put it on my red plastic car and the shine looks a foot thick. Thinking about trying it on the C-22 this season. Yes in W. MI we have seasons.

Good to hear you're still alive and kicking, Jeff!
You want to do an uptempo cruise along the Sleeping Bear Dunes with us this summer? We could leave from Leland or Frankfort...I think that would be pretty sweet.

glashole
03-02-2007, 08:48 AM
has anyone tried the "ICE" liquid wax? :confused:

Shea

Cevert
03-02-2007, 09:36 AM
Blitz
http://www.onegrand.com/

WingWing
03-05-2007, 02:39 PM
aquabuff 2000

fasttrucker
03-11-2007, 09:15 AM
I have the photo boat from 1998 with a real paint job(not decals under gel-coat).Ive been using starbright with teflon.The sides of my boat look great still.:yes: I might hire a guy this year to put a buffing wheel on the top deck.I used that cleaner wax on the top and it made my top deck white painted section look dirty.:( It looks like I did not wash the boat first. Which I thought I had.Like I trapped the dirt.Anyone have any :confused: idears????? I think getting a pro to go over it may be the best answer.:yes:

fasttrucker
03-11-2007, 09:48 AM
I like and use Frenzy.... I also like and use Long Haul works great on the bottom scum lines come off with ease...:kyle:
Undertaker (Mr. Detailer):uzi:
Hey,where do you buy frenzy?on the web? cant find long haul bottom on the web did a search.Thanks

marineclean
03-11-2007, 10:59 AM
Hey Guys,

I want to help you guys with your Fiberglass. I have always directed my customers to research what that are currently using on their boat. It is very easy to read the ingredients or visit the company's website. You do not want Carnauba, Petroleum Distillates or Polyurethanes on your fiberglass. You can use carnauba/petroleum distillates to remove oxidation and marks, but please don't leave it on. It will cause the same oxidation you just removed because it seals the surface and dosen't allow the fiberglass to breathe. Let me know if you need anything.

Donnie

undertaker
03-11-2007, 01:43 PM
Trucker Frenzy can be found on Speedwake in their store, Long Haul is NO longer in business, I like to use Frenzy on my MYCO steel trailer does a nice job IMO, I am going to be trying marinecleans leverage polish sounds like a nice product, if I were you I would give marinecleans leverage polish a try, he has been nice enough to sponsor this great site.... and their has been A LOT of GREAT feedback on his product.:yes: :yes: NOW GET TO ORDERIN:bonk:

Undertaker:cool:

Cuda
03-11-2007, 03:02 PM
I went to three places today to find the Meguires I usually use. Nobody had it. I bought some Mother's.

Pismo
03-11-2007, 04:45 PM
None of the above...Never tried frenzy tho. I am going to try 3M super duty compound and Longevity wax this year. Will let you know, I am still searching for goodness.

marineclean
03-11-2007, 05:01 PM
None of the above...Never tried frenzy tho. I am going to try 3M super duty compound and Longevity wax this year. Will let you know, I am still searching for goodness.

May I ask? Have you used Leverage Polish or Oxidation remover? I've sent a lot of samples out this past year, but I just put it up for retail sale this year. I have worked really hard to provide a good quality polish that will last and not have any harmful side effects. I ask that you please research the other products you are considering and then look at my Leverage.

Thanks, Donnie

undertaker
03-13-2007, 07:39 PM
Trucker have you order Leverage yet.......... you need to get that thing shined up...:propeller :) :propeller :propeller :) :)

Donzi LG
03-13-2007, 07:49 PM
Donnie,

I just received an order of Leverage from Fred at Trick, can't wait to try it out. My boat is a 2001 that stays in an uncovered slip all season. I think it might be best if I start with your oxidation remover, is that only available directly through you? I don't see it on his site, thanks.

John

marineclean
03-13-2007, 07:58 PM
Donnie,
I just received an order of Leverage from Fred at Trick, can't wait to try it out. My boat is a 2001 that stays in an uncovered slip all season. I think it might be best if I start with your oxidation remover, is that only available directly through you? I don't see it on his site, thanks.
John

Hey John,

You just caught me surfing on the site. Fred still hasn't had a chance to update his sight, but he has it in inventory. You will have to call them directly. 866-921-4553

Trueser
03-13-2007, 10:55 PM
Polish is better than was for Glass,

Starbright Polish with Teflon works for ME

ATLDONZI
03-14-2007, 08:29 AM
I will make another post about this topic... I now am definatley sold ...my sweet 16 has been in the lake 7 times since I applied Leverage and this stuff is the cats meow! I am serious... Now this is not a magical product... you dont apply it to a pumpkin to get a carraige.... you have to get the boat shined up first then use this as a polish/protectant.. I personally used 3M finnessit and then LEVERAGE.. all my exhaust stains/ scum stains all wipe off with a wet towel... and no more soap and water. just rinse off with fresh water and towel dry.. THATS IT! it cut down my clean up in half ...so that means longer boating days for me and that is well worth it...
And this stuff is still slick as frog snot...

RedDog
03-14-2007, 06:00 PM
I received my bottle of Leverage today. My boat is still winterized and under wraps, but I tried some of it on a 1' x 1' section of the bow. I was impressed. No one will be able to walk across the bow with this stuff on - may not be able to sit on the bow if the water is rolly

BGH18
03-14-2007, 07:49 PM
I ordered some leverage today as well. Will be anxious to give it a try!

marineclean
03-14-2007, 08:38 PM
I received my bottle of Leverage today. My boat is still winterized and under wraps, but I tried some of it on a 1' x 1' section of the bow. I was impressed. No one will be able to walk across the bow with this stuff on - may not be able to sit on the bow if the water is rolly

Hey Red,

Don't worry, the warm weather is around the corner. :crossfing

I added a suspension agent to my formula before I put it up for retail. It is still slick, but not as slick as my first formula that we sent out for feedback last year. The suspension agent helps with dry traction for walking. If you are barefooted with dry feet you'll be fine, but always still be careful walking on a bow. If you wear socks on your bow or you are wet then please be sure footed and let your riders know. Springs almost here!

Thanks, Donnie

fasttrucker
03-18-2007, 08:58 AM
Trucker have you order Leverage yet.......... you need to get that thing shined up...:propeller :) :propeller :propeller :) :)
Guess Ill order as soon as the SNOW STOPS :bonk: when is spring going to get here!
What size sould I get? the 24oz bottle? trick price is $28.95.Will check speedwake.

marineclean
03-18-2007, 09:34 AM
Guess Ill order as soon as the SNOW STOPS :bonk: when is spring going to get here!
What size sould I get? the 24oz bottle? trick price is $28.95.Will check speedwake.

Hey ft,

Trick is my only online distibutor. My 24oz. bottle will do a 22' about four seperate times. I notice most waxes are about 16oz. and you usually only get one coat out of them that lasts for 2 months for around 21.00 bucks. Believe me ft, you won't be disappointed with Leverage.

Thank You, Donnie

fasttrucker
03-18-2007, 12:10 PM
Hey ft,
Trick is my only online distibutor. My 24oz. bottle will do a 22' about four seperate times. I notice most waxes are about 16oz. and you usually only get one coat out of them that lasts for 2 months for around 21.00 bucks. Believe me ft, you won't be disappointed with Leverage.
Thank You, Donnie
Thanks,I have a 28zx 1998. Its the photo boat from 1998."see boat registry for pictures use hull# DNAZ8007H798 " not the same motor but those pictures are from 2002.Now ive uses starbright w/teflon and Ive like the results, but last season I used 3-m cleaner wax on the top deck.It looks like my white is dirty like I did not wash the boat first.The red looks dull.So I found a place in the kent narrows area called Schumans boat services and Iam going to call them monday to see if I can get the boat detailed.Maybe after I get this mess fixed I should use your product leverage?

marineclean
03-18-2007, 06:14 PM
Thanks,I have a 28zx 1998. Its the photo boat from 1998."see boat registry for pictures use hull# DNAZ8007H798 " not the same motor but those pictures are from 2002.Now ive uses starbright w/teflon and Ive like the results, but last season I used 3-m cleaner wax on the top deck.It looks like my white is dirty like I did not wash the boat first.The red looks dull.So I found a place in the kent narrows area called Schumans boat services and Iam going to call them monday to see if I can get the boat detailed.Maybe after I get this mess fixed I should use your product leverage?

Yes Sir

Have them go ahead and compound it to remove all of the oxidation and old waxes. When they are finshed then you can apply Leverage yourself by hand. All you need is two terry cloth towels and about 30-45 minutes. Once it's on, all you need is fresh water and a clean towel to maintain the surface throughout the year.

Thanks, Donnie

BTW, I like ek 11.jpg. That's a great side shot! Don't worry, she'll look brand new again.

fasttrucker
03-19-2007, 07:07 PM
I called the place in the kent narrows and it maybe the teflon in the wax? oh-boy:bonk:

Rumblefish
05-04-2011, 04:10 PM
Wax with PTEF

Im not sure the true contents are of Wax with PTEF , but as I noticed the exhaust stains on the white that only hull cleaner could clean, I used this wax in the affected hull cleaned areas only.

Never did the stains return to were I had waxed. it was amazing.

Star brite. (cleaner wax combo with PTEF)
Star brite (polish wax with PTEF)

mrfixxall
06-19-2011, 12:37 AM
Parafin

CHACHI
06-21-2011, 10:12 AM
Matt, I beleive it is PTFE and that is teflon.

Polytetrafluroethylene.

Ken