PDA

View Full Version : Engine Hoist

DonziJon
04-18-2006, 06:49 PM
I just bought an "Engine Hoist" today at "Pep Boys". I've been thinking about it for a few years but never got off my Butt t'll today. It was on sale for $120 after a rebate. I'm NOT hauling engines. I just wanted something to help me with Re-installing the Alpha 1 outdrive on the Minx. The drive weighs 85 pounds and I'm not as young as I was 10 years ago. :rlol:

This hoist has to weigh in at least 300 pounds and is U-mongus. It's got an 8,000 pound capacity hydraulic cylinder to do the lifting. The hoist is good for 4,000 pounds. ("Big Red Jacks", Long Beach, CA) Made in China. It's an American Company. Obviously outsourcing the Fabrication. I can't figure out how they pay the freight for this thing, never mind the cost of materials and labor. Now I have to find a place to store it....it DOES fold up. JOHN

PS: Wife is pissed. It's occupying her side of the garage until I figure out what to do with it. :bonk:

gcarter
04-18-2006, 07:23 PM
I personally believe all of us need our own shops/ warehouses.
This is one of the reasons I haven't considered retiring or selling my business because I'd lose the warehouse.

CHACHI
04-19-2006, 06:05 AM
I just bought an "Engine Hoist" today at "Pep Boys". I've been thinking about it for a few years but never got off my Butt t'll today. It was on sale for $120 after a rebate. I'm NOT hauling engines. I just wanted something to help me with Re-installing the Alpha 1 outdrive on the Minx. The drive weighs 85 pounds and I'm not as young as I was 10 years ago. :rlol:
This hoist has to weigh in at least 300 pounds and is U-mongus. It's got an 8,000 pound capacity hydraulic cylinder to do the lifting. The hoist is good for 4,000 pounds. ("Big Red Jacks", Long Beach, CA) Made in China. It's an American Company. Obviously outsourcing the Fabrication. I can't figure out how they pay the freight for this thing, never mind the cost of materials and labor. Now I have to find a place to store it....it DOES fold up. JOHN
PS: Wife is pissed. It's occupying her side of the garage until I figure out what to do with it. :bonk:Tell Connie things will be better soon. Ken

DonziJon
04-19-2006, 06:11 PM
My wife finally got it. I moved my new contraption over to MY side of the garage....where the Minx is. It's a color match. The Minx is RED and the contraption is RED. The contraption folds up nice and tucks right in. Life can't get any better.:smash: JOHN

CHACHI
04-20-2006, 06:03 AM
When Mama's happy.........................everybodys is happy. Ken

gcarter
04-20-2006, 09:00 AM
DJ, just in case you're hazy on this, this is what an engine hoist is for..:jestera: :)
:wavey:

DonziJon
04-20-2006, 01:46 PM
George: I TOLD her it was for handling the outdrive! It would also be good for lifting up my riding lawnmower so I can clean under the deck. I could probably even use it to move her big half wine barrel planters. I GUESS you could use it for hauling a motor out of a boat...that is...if one needed to do that at some future date. I never even thought of that. JOHN :lookaroun